Windowless grow room ventilation

newgrowguy

Hope everyone is doin fine. Here's the deal. Am growing for self, now with one plant, can't see growing more than 4 at most, maybe only two. Trying to hold costs down. Bought a Sunsystem Sunblaze T48 8 bulb fixture to veg my one donated clone. Have the thing hanging in a spare room, approx, 8x10, windowless. I have kept the room at proper temp and humidity by keeping door open with a box fan that acts as an exhaust, and a ceiling fan for circulation. It all has worked well and the plant has grown like a weed! (sorry, couldn't resist). Its in a 5gal container, plant is 16" tall, lots of side shoots, looks great. Have pretty much decided to switch to a HPS fixture for flowering (either 400 or 600 wts) and will use the flouro to veg new clones elsewhere. This is the best room to control light. I really don't want to put any vent holes in walls, yet can't leave door open to vent as it would let light in. I'm thinking, what if I hung black plastic to create a false interior wall a few feet in from the door, wall to wall. Do you think I could then run ducting through plastic at top and bottom for intake and exhaust. I could then run the ducting out the door into a hallway. If so, what are the cheapest fans to use for the intake and exhaust. The inline ones I see are pricey.This is a pretty big room for one light and a few plants. Other ideas?? Many thanks!

Ok that would work I think except the plastic on the inside needs to be reflective white or mylar. Um powerful exhaust fans get expensive. How far are you venting out and where would the intake air come from? I know you said your hall way but what I'm wondering is if you're exhausting into the hallway and in taking from that room or vise versa or both.

Thanks for responding. I own a trilevel. The room is an office on bottom floor off a short hallway that leads to the garage and the upstairs. I would be putting a duct at the top of the doorway to exhaust heated air into the hallway and intaking from bottom of door to bring in cool air. Here's what I am also wondering. I read about guys growing 4 or more plants in a closet. I have a big room, relatively speaking. Can I flower this plant with a much smaller wattage and eliminate the need for venting? I don't get how these guys grow in closets! I can barely keep the room at the right temp now.

Btw, I get the part about the mylar, that would not be a problem.

supercropper said:
Try 2 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet and 3 feet tall.two sections top of closet for veging lower for flowering 150 watt HPS for flowering and 5 23 watt cfls for vegging,3-4 plants at a time,75-78 during lights on and 67-70 during lights off throughout this summer.

I love small grow rooms like that. You gotta pic?

You guys are all great for responding, thanks! I've decided to do something a bit different. Since I only want to flower 2-4 plants at once, I'm thinking maybe just a big flowering box inside the office. What about a 7.5' hx4'wx4'd box(w/door). That way I can run venting from out of the box, along a wall or ceiling and vent into the hallway since the door to the office is always kept open(Privacy is not an issue). Likewise can intake air either from room or hallway. Do you think I could use a 4oowt HPS or will it be too hot? Btw, I have one plant ready for flower, 16" high plus height of 5gal pot, LST has made it about 1' wide. Whatcha think?

You can do three things.

1. Build a false door in order to run exhaust and intake.

2. If you have room, you can buy a "hydro-hut" which is a self-contained growing enviorment, that you can zip up and lock. They also already come with intake and exhaust vents and brackets for light and blower. The have 3 or 4 sizes available ranging from $200-$400. My prefered method of growing multiple indoor cycles.

3. If you dont care about the area , you can cut a hole in the celing and run exhaust through ceiling, than cut hole near the bottom of door for intake

stay upp
(RoC)siyah

Wow, that hydrohut is perfect! Has anyone used a 400 wtHPS in the 4x4x7unit? I'm thinking about a 400wt HPS cooltube with intake and exhaust fans.

newgrowguy said:
Wow, that hydrohut is perfect! Has anyone used a 400 wtHPS in the 4x4x7unit? I'm thinking about a 400wt HPS cooltube with intake and exhaust fans.

Not for flowering, but with 2x 265cfm blowers and airtight hood, there is no heat.:cheesygrinsmiley:

I really don't want to put any vent holes in walls, yet can't leave door open to vent as it would let light in.

Maybe you could open/close door with a timer? Shouldn't cost much more than a nice hole and vent/duct in the wall.

Yep.
bpncmh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom