Yolo County Doesn't Want to be Site of Hemp Farms

Jacob Bell

A bill that would allow industrial hemp farming in targeted areas of California for the first time since World War II could be on Gov. Jerry Brown's desk by September.

But Yolo County officials don't care to be among its beneficiaries.

Under Senate Bill 676, Yolo would be one of five counties authorized as areas for commercial farming of industrial hemp under an eight-year pilot program. Industrial hemp is a source of fiber and oilseed used in textiles, food and cosmetics.

The Yolo County Board of Supervisors, however, has asked the bill's sponsor, Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, to remove Yolo from the proposed legislation, said Chris Lee, a spokesman for the county's intergovernmental affairs office.

Lee said the county's sheriff and district attorney were concerned that law enforcement officers would have difficulty distinguishing hemp, a non-psychoactive form of cannabis, from illegal marijuana growing operations.

Leno said he will honor the county's request and plans to amend the bill when it goes to the Assembly Appropriations Committee next month.

But, he said, "I'm disappointed that Yolo is not more open-minded."

The board supported a 2007 bill, vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, that would have allowed industrial hemp farming statewide. Lee said the supervisors had not taken a position on the current bill, introduced in February, until they were notified in April that it had been narrowed to focus on five counties — Imperial, Kern, Kings, San Joaquin and Yolo.

The county board membership has changed since 2007, Lee said, and the Sheriff's Department's resources are strained with the loss of 10 deputy positions this year due to budget cuts.

Leno said he selected Yolo for the pilot program because of its geographic location and weather, and because county supervisors had supported the 2007 bill.

Hemp farms are easily distinguished from illegal marijuana grows, he said.

"Hemp is planted in rows 6 inches apart; marijuana is planted 4 feet apart," Leno said. "Hemp grows to be 20 feet tall, and marijuana is about half that."

The bill has been endorsed by the Imperial County Farm Bureau, and Leno said he has received letters of support from the Kings and Kern county sheriffs.

Leno said he was sorry that Yolo's small family farmers would miss an opportunity to benefit from a new crop.

Rachael Long, a farm adviser with UC Cooperative Extension in Yolo County, said there is a developing market for hemp seed, particularly in the health food industry, which currently imports hemp seed and oil from Canada. In California, this might be prove profitable for small farming operations of up to 20 acres, she said.

The Hemp Industries Association estimates that retail sales of hemp food and body care products in the United States totaled $40.5 million in 2010.

But Long said raising hemp for fiber is unlikely to be economically viable in California.

"It takes a huge amount of water, and it's a low-value crop," she said. "It's so much cheaper to produce in the Midwest, where rainfall is plentiful."

Until hemp farming is legalized by the federal government, Long said, farmers probably will be reluctant to grow the crop, even if authorized by the state.

As a farm adviser, Long said, she obtained a few hemp seeds several years ago for a test project only to suddenly find herself the target of federal drug enforcement agents.

"It was so scary, it really was," she said.

Federal legislation — HR 1831, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011 — has been introduced in Congress by Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas. It would amend the federal Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana. The bill's co-sponsors include California Reps. Tom McClintock, R-Elk Grove, and George Miller, D-Martinez.

hemp31.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: sacbee.com
Author: Cathy Locke
Copyright: The Sacramento Bee

States that are tired of bearing the oppressive restraints of Federal criminals should just collectively secede.

A bill that would allow industrial hemp farming in targeted areas of California for the first time since World War II could be on Gov. Jerry Brown's desk by September.

Hope so.

But Yolo County officials don't care to be among its beneficiaries.

IQ tests are obviously still not required to run for political office.

Lee said the county's sheriff and district attorney were concerned that law enforcement officers would have difficulty distinguishing hemp, a non-psychoactive form of cannabis, from illegal marijuana growing operations.

Neither, apparently, is it a requirement for Yolo County LEOs?

"Hemp is planted in rows 6 inches apart; marijuana is planted 4 feet apart," Leno said. "Hemp grows to be 20 feet tall, and marijuana is about half that."

While I have seen a few cannabis plants in the 20'-22' range, it's been a long time and was quite the rarity even then.

Rachael Long, a farm adviser with UC Cooperative Extension in Yolo County, said there is a developing market for hemp seed, particularly in the health food industry, which currently imports hemp seed and oil from Canada. In California, this might be prove profitable for small farming operations of up to 20 acres, she said.

The cost per acre of growing hemp is much lower than many other crops.

But Long said raising hemp for fiber is unlikely to be economically viable in California.

"It takes a huge amount of water, and it's a low-value crop," she said. "It's so much cheaper to produce in the Midwest, where rainfall is plentiful."

Ah, but the biggest expense in farming hemp is the purchase of seeds. It requires little to no pesticides and, when planted in a spacing beneficial to hemp production, herbicides are not generally required either. Aside from planting and harvesting, hemp is basically a "no labor" crop.

Irrigation may be required, both initially and throughout the grow - depending, of course, on local conditions. Times of drought, a very low water table, and places that normally receive little rainfall will raise this requirement - as it does for most every crop. Hemp tends to grow deep roots and therefore is better at utilizing available groundwater than most other crops.

If the hemp crop is allowed to dry in the field, it even "gives back" much of the nutrients that were required to grow it.

Anyone who questions the value of hemp as a crop and the real expense of growing it should do at least a minimum of research in order to dispel their misconceptions. Here is a link to an article that I found immediately through a simple Google search:
Commercial Hemp Cultivation in Canada "An Economic Justification" by David Marcus

Unfortunately, it is too large to quote here.

States that are tired of bearing the oppressive restraints of Federal criminals should just collectively secede.

That was tried once before. It was a failure. Besides, a revolution would likely be much more appropriate than a civil war, lol.

The first thing I thought when I saw this, was the other article about the Hemp possibly pollinating the outdoor medical crops.... However!

Irrigation may be required, both initially and throughout the grow - depending, of course, on local conditions. Times of drought, a very low water table, and places that normally receive little rainfall will raise this requirement - as it does for most every crop. Hemp tends to grow deep roots and therefore is better at utilizing available groundwater than most other crops.

If the hemp crop is allowed to dry in the field, it even "gives back" much of the nutrients that were required to grow it.

Hm... You targeted the big "Hmmmm" the article generated for me. I was not aware it was a large "water" taking crop. Then again, I don't think that question crossed my mind!

I think you are making a case for them to start the hemp fields in Yolo, Mr.AbusedSpirit, I do not really know much about crops though. I was raised in the middle of Oahu, and my first exploits into "growing" were with basil plants and helping a medical cannabis grower... Out of the two, the cannabis needed much less frequent watering!.. Well, thats if you do not count the Mammoth Sun Flowers I grew as a child.. But I gave them very little attention. Nature grew them more than I did!

I am very in favor of Hemp myself. I do not really know a good geographical local for growing it... They claim mid-west in the article? I feel confused! I know they used to grow it as a rotational crop in Virginia, for reasons you touch on... Revitalizing the soil... Also, we needed rope! :) I do not know if the south-east is considered good for hemp... I used to just figure it would be fine anywhere! Honestly, I was under the impression it was a crop needing very little water.

I like your posts AfflictedPsyche, I tip my hat to you!

That was tried once before. It was a failure. Besides, a revolution would likely be much more appropriate than a civil war, lol.

Revolutions appropriate?
Revolutions aren't any less likely to be violent than wars are to be civil. If you're accepting of the current Federal bondage and dismissal of States Rights of our Constitution, all is well. One could say everything's been tried before. That's no reason to be complacent. Of course, so-called international law is now overcoming national law. So much for national independence.

Revolutions appropriate?
Revolutions aren't any less likely to be violent than wars are to be civil. If you're accepting of the current Federal bondage and dismissal of States Rights of our Constitution, all is well. One could say everything's been tried before. That's no reason to be complacent. Of course, so-called international law is now overcoming national law. So much for national independence.

I tend to favor non-violent solutions in all things when feasible. I believe that every civilized human being should feel the same way. <SHRUGS> I just do not automatically dismiss it as a choice, lol. Neither, thankfully, did Thomas Jefferson and "a few" other guys of his generation.

My point was that (in my perception anyway) a civil war would be inappropriate because I cannot see - disregarding the ignorant and the apathetic, of course - one portion of this country fighting another portion over the mess that government has made of things. That would mean that a sizable percentage of (motivated) Americans would have to agree with the status quo. I can, however, see the vast majority of Americans disagreeing with the status quo. And that happened once before, during the latter half of the 18th century.

Objectively... It would be interesting for a number of reasons; one of which being that the parties that were revolting could take as their Constitution... the existing US Constitution. Hmm.

But I don't really expect to see one. I have a feeling that, if a major governmental change occurs, it will be at the instigation of one or more foreign nations. Something that I'm not looking forward to, mind you, but it would not surprise me.

Occasionally, I do have moments where I find myself hoping that things will turn around without such drastic measures - but it's looking less and less like trying to stop a runaway freight train and more and more like a person trying to halt free fall after they inadvertently step out of an airplane without a parachute.

I guess I'm not (always) as positive as I used to be, huh?

Back
Top Bottom