Electric question

TheDarkTriad

So i have a 1000w LED light its 220 or well 240 in actuality but lets call it 220. I do not have a dedicated free 220 line. So is a adapter a bad idea? well it lower my actual power draw in turn lower my out put? I dont know that much about the electrical side of things, thats next on my list of things to learn.
Any thoughts on this please let me know i dont want to mess around and fry my lights.

Hi TDT -- I don't understand your question--specifically, the part about the "adapter." Are you asking about running a 220 light on 120 volts?

Ok I will give my 2cents on this one. Yes you can buy a step-up transformer to do what you want to do. Would I do it.? NO.
I'm guessing your looking at around 60 dollars to run a 1kw fixture.
A transformer will generate extra heat and is just something to fail in the future. I would suggest running a dedicated 220 circuit or replacing the light to a 110 V. one. Is growing a plant with Mickey Mouse electrical worth burning the house down?

I'm with Moe.

Here's a question for you: Does the ballast for your lamp by any chance have a the ability to switch to 110? Lots of devices these days are engineered to accept both 110 and 200. You might just need a new plug. Or at worst you might just need a new ballast.

But yeah, when you're talking kilowatts and 220 volt circuits, you really want to do things just right.

there is no ballast it is a 1k led light CIRRUS 1K LED Grow Light – Green Envy Supply my question is can i use a adapter to go from 220 to 110? if so will it affect the light adversely and will it affect the overall pull.

Oops, yup, you did say LED. The spec is 220 to 260 volts, so I'm guessing you'd be going from 110 to 220, not vice versa.

Yes, you can buy a converter that will do that. Is that a good idea? Probably not. If you do decide to buy a converter, make absolutely sure that it can handle the load. Some converters will handle European 220 but not US 220. Some don't have the power handling capacity.

My suggestion would be to return/trade/sell what you have and get exactly what you need.

Also, you might just want to call your friendly local electrician and ask for advice.

Voltage converter + kilowatt appliance = fire hazard

A good quality converter of proper size (probably 1500w) is totally acceptable in my opinion. Be aware, however, of the current capability of your 110v outlet. At 1000w/240v you're drawing a bit over 4a. When you're demanding the same wattage from a 110v outlet, the current draw doubles. To this add the power loss due to heat dissipation of your converter and you'll be at probably in the 10-12 amp range. Considering most home circuits are on 20 amp breakers (usable hold amperage of only 17 amps) do a careful assessment of what else is on that circuit.

I think that's a great answer, but clear and simple as it is, it's probably way too technical for most people.

And a 1500 watt converter is probably going to get into the cost range of just selling and replacing the light, no? <edit> Just looked these up at Amazon. They're cheaper than I had guessed. </edit>

Not to be argumentative, but people who really don't know what they're doing with electricity (i.e. most people) are probably best off with the simplest, safest possible solution IMHO.

By pull, I'm assuming your referring to power usage. The only difference would be the calculated power loss consumed by the converter which would probably amount to less than 10%.

I think that's a great answer, but clear and simple as it is, it's probably way too technical for most people.

And a 1500 watt converter is probably going to get into the cost range of just selling and replacing the light, no?

Not to be argumentative, but people who really don't know what they're doing with electricity (i.e. most people) are probably best off with the simplest, safest possible solution IMHO.

And you're probably correct in many cases, however, there are many good quality, consumer capable converters available in the $100 range. As society becomes less techno-savvy, the market is doing a pretty good job meeting those needs. Nothing real technical about simply plugging the converter into a wall socket and then plugging the fixture into the converter. I must reiterate, however, make sure load capability on your house circuit is capable of the required job.

Back
Top Bottom