Marijuana Legalization Bill Heading For A Compromise

Ron Strider

This week's roll calls are from the week of June 19-23. The report shows how local senators and representatives voted on House and Senate versions of a bill making changes and imposing new regulations on how the state will regulate the retail sale and cultivation of marijuana. A House-Senate conference committee will soon hammer out a compromise version and present it to the House and Senate.

Representatives proposed 121 amendments to the bill yet there were only five roll calls during the 10 hours it considered the bill.

Senators proposed 110 amendments with only five roll calls during its 10 hours.

Many of the amendments were not debated but simply approved or defeated on a predetermined unrecorded voice vote. Senators and representatives don't actually vote yes or no and in fact, don't say a word. They do not even shout "aye" or "no" as one might expect.

MARIJUANA REGULATIONS (H 3768, S 2090) -- House 126-28, Senate 30-5, approved different versions of a bill changing some provisions and adding other provisions to the law, approved by voters on the 2016 ballot, legalizing the possession, growing and sale of marijuana. A House-Senate conference committee has been appointed to hammer out a compromise version.

The Senate version keeps the same tax rate that was approved by voters -- a 3.75 percent marijuana excise tax and a local option to impose an additional tax of up to 2 percent. Combined with the existing 6.

25 percent sales tax, the total tax on marijuana would range from 10 percent to 12 percent, depending on the community. The House version more than doubles the tax rate to 28 percent.
The Senate version requires a city or town-wide ballot question in which voters would decide whether their community wants to opt out of the law or modify it. The House version allows cities and towns to opt out without a town-wide ballot question. Under the House version, some cities can opt out by a majority vote of the city council and approval of the city manager; other cities by a majority vote of the city council and approval by the mayor; and in a town, by a majority vote of the board of selectmen and a majority vote of a town meeting.

YES: Rep. Cory Atkins, Rep. Colleen Garry, Rep. Thomas Golden, Rep. Kenneth Gordon, Rep. Shelia Harrington, Rep. James Miceli, Rep. Rady Mom, Rep. David Nangle, Sen. Michael Barrett, Sen. James Eldridge

NO: Rep. Marc Lombardo, Rep. James Lyons, Sen. Bruce Tarr

DIDN'T VOTE: Rep. James Arciero, Rep. Jennifer Benson, Sen. Eileen Donoghue, Sen. Jennifer Flanagan, Sen. Barbara L'Italien

NUMBER OF PLANTS ALLOWED (S 2090) -- Senate 4-34, rejected an amendment that would reduce from 12 to six the number of flowering marijuana plants a home grower is allowed to grow at the same time.

Amendment supporters said that if allowed 12 growing plants, a person could harvest 192 ounces of marijuana per year which could be made into more than 17,000 joints. This would allow a person to smoke 46 joints per day, obviously more than any person can consume. They said allowing 12 would lead to professional marijuana growers coming to Massachusetts to grow marijuana and sell it on the black market at a price lower than the retail stores and to people younger than 21.

Amendment opponents said the statistics cited by proponents of the reduction to six are based on commercial cultivation which yields much more marijuana than home growing. They argued that the ballot question approved by the voters allowed 12 plants and should not be changed.

NO: Sen. Michael Barrett, Sen. Eileen Donoghue, Sen. James Eldridge, Sen. Jennifer Flanagan, Sen. Barbara L'Italien, Sen. Bruce Tarr

Pennsylvania_Marijuana_-_AP_file_photo.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana legalization bill heading for a compromise - Lowell Sun Online
Author: Bob Katzen
Photo Credit: AP file photo

This week's roll calls are from the week of June 19-23. The report shows how local senators and representatives voted on House and Senate versions of a bill making changes and imposing new regulations on how the state will regulate the retail sale and cultivation of marijuana. A House-Senate conference committee will soon hammer out a compromise version and present it to the House and Senate.

Representatives proposed 121 amendments to the bill yet there were only five roll calls during the 10 hours it considered the bill.

Senators proposed 110 amendments with only five roll calls during its 10 hours.

Many of the amendments were not debated but simply approved or defeated on a predetermined unrecorded voice vote. Senators and representatives don't actually vote yes or no and in fact, don't say a word. They do not even shout "aye" or "no" as one might expect.

MARIJUANA REGULATIONS (H 3768, S 2090) -- House 126-28, Senate 30-5, approved different versions of a bill changing some provisions and adding other provisions to the law, approved by voters on the 2016 ballot, legalizing the possession, growing and sale of marijuana. A House-Senate conference committee has been appointed to hammer out a compromise version.

The Senate version keeps the same tax rate that was approved by voters -- a 3.75 percent marijuana excise tax and a local option to impose an additional tax of up to 2 percent. Combined with the existing 6.

25 percent sales tax, the total tax on marijuana would range from 10 percent to 12 percent, depending on the community. The House version more than doubles the tax rate to 28 percent.
The Senate version requires a city or town-wide ballot question in which voters would decide whether their community wants to opt out of the law or modify it. The House version allows cities and towns to opt out without a town-wide ballot question. Under the House version, some cities can opt out by a majority vote of the city council and approval of the city manager; other cities by a majority vote of the city council and approval by the mayor; and in a town, by a majority vote of the board of selectmen and a majority vote of a town meeting.

YES: Rep. Cory Atkins, Rep. Colleen Garry, Rep. Thomas Golden, Rep. Kenneth Gordon, Rep. Shelia Harrington, Rep. James Miceli, Rep. Rady Mom, Rep. David Nangle, Sen. Michael Barrett, Sen. James Eldridge

NO: Rep. Marc Lombardo, Rep. James Lyons, Sen. Bruce Tarr

DIDN'T VOTE: Rep. James Arciero, Rep. Jennifer Benson, Sen. Eileen Donoghue, Sen. Jennifer Flanagan, Sen. Barbara L'Italien

NUMBER OF PLANTS ALLOWED (S 2090) -- Senate 4-34, rejected an amendment that would reduce from 12 to six the number of flowering marijuana plants a home grower is allowed to grow at the same time.

Amendment supporters said that if allowed 12 growing plants, a person could harvest 192 ounces of marijuana per year which could be made into more than 17,000 joints. This would allow a person to smoke 46 joints per day, obviously more than any person can consume. They said allowing 12 would lead to professional marijuana growers coming to Massachusetts to grow marijuana and sell it on the black market at a price lower than the retail stores and to people younger than 21.

Amendment opponents said the statistics cited by proponents of the reduction to six are based on commercial cultivation which yields much more marijuana than home growing. They argued that the ballot question approved by the voters allowed 12 plants and should not be changed.

NO: Sen. Michael Barrett, Sen. Eileen Donoghue, Sen. James Eldridge, Sen. Jennifer Flanagan, Sen. Barbara L'Italien, Sen. Bruce Tarr

Pennsylvania_Marijuana_-_AP_file_photo.png

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana legalization bill heading for a compromise - Lowell Sun Online
Author: Bob Katzen
Photo Credit: AP file photo
I believe their little back room meeting, should have the media there, just to keep it on the up & up ? Why are the :surf:6 of you hiding , and making decisions that effect our life ? Changing the peoples law ? The LAW that we voted overwhelmingly, to end prohibition of marijuana. I hope none of the 6 reps., are responsible in any way for locking millions of innocent people up, for taking their property, for them losing their jobs, & all the broken familys. All over a weed ? If you are, then you should excuse yourself, from that back room (top secret) (under the table) deal making committee meeting. I just wonder how many citizens, feel as I do, because if you try to change this bill, it's going to bite you in the ass, come election day !! I didn't vote to build pot shops on every corner of town, not that I give a dam. Our little town has approved a dispensary and are looking for a location. To me this is more about our freedom, than $$$$$ ? This top secret meeting is all about $$$$, just my opinion !! Follow the $$$ !! Maybe, They should be more worried, about losing their jobs ?? Oh, I forgot, our votes don't count ?

I believe their little back room meeting, should have the media there, just to keep it on the up & up ? Why are the :surf:6 of you hiding , and making decisions that effect our life ? Changing the peoples law ? The LAW that we voted overwhelmingly, to end prohibition of marijuana. I hope none of the 6 reps., are responsible in any way for locking millions of innocent people up, for taking their property, for them losing their jobs, & all the broken familys. All over a weed ? If you are, then you should excuse yourself, from that back room (top secret) (under the table) deal making committee meeting. I just wonder how many citizens, feel as I do, because if you try to change this bill, it's going to bite you in the ass, come election day !! I didn't vote to build pot shops on every corner of town, not that I give a dam. Our little town has approved a dispensary and are looking for a location. To me this is more about our freedom, than $$$$$ ? This top secret meeting is all about $$$$, just my opinion !! Follow the $$$ !! Maybe, They should be more worried, about losing their jobs ?? Oh, I forgot, our votes don't count ?

@Slowpuffer- I agree 110%. As a fellow MA citizen and as someone who is struggling to live being on ssdi and a MMP who volunteered without owning or access to a computer and sat and ran phone banking and texting voters to help get the word out and sway some who were on the edge to vote yes. I am SEETHING these fucks are doing this to us. All they are concerned about is as you said $ which is NOT the way to live, and what's on paper and the wording on the bill. They aren't even taking in the fucking reality that since it's passage the only problems that have came up, are problems THESE FUCKS CREATE! I have been trying to tell everyone I know this but they don't think it's strong enough to warrant anything as "they can grow their own regardless and won't buy from shops" which I TRY to point out is EXACTLY part of the problem. I am livid they are doing this. They are lucky I am poor and have just about if not everything good in my life taken from me as I would not only go to the state house and not only preach injustice but also hiw this shit goes against EVERYTHING freedom and patriotism stand for. I have called them multiple times and started yelling and things I won't repeat but idc fuck them. These back door bullshit meetings that affect hundreds of thousands by a small few is NOT what having voting to determine something or our system in it's whole. I know it didnt matter but I told em I'd Sue their asses if this passes but I have no funds. The stupid fucks on our state house are living in a dreamland where their will matters only. So they can ban it on their own accord like back in 1909 but yet after 8 years and 2 non binding legalization questions passing majoritively they KNEW this was coming and if they wanted some other law THEY should have done something. I say we gather the people of the state who voted yes or as many as possible, EVERYONE contributes, and we get a lawyer and Sue the house as the people vs the house for cowardly going against our freedoms and rights and making our votes null in void. So if they like something it stays and if they dont it changes to what they want regardless of 1.8 MILLION in favor? They are in a fantasy world or all mini disctators trying to turn MA and this county for that matter into a mini dictatorship. I had no idea 6>1,800,000. I guess our math has been wrong! This is NOT OK and cannot be left alone. I hope all of these people in office get what's coming to them as if not... I'll do it . My life and freedom are worth nothing when it comes to bettering the future.

If you are a MA resident do EVERYTHING in your power to oppose this and make sure these people know their time is short.

Amendment supporters said that if allowed 12 growing plants, a person could harvest 192 ounces of marijuana per year which could be made into more than 17,000 joints.

Ummm how and who exactly came up with this number? Cause this seems like total bullshit. Fuck them for wanting to cut the number down to 6. 10-12 seems like a good number for each individual (especially since when the growing bug bites it bites hard and keeping under 6 would be difficult). If I want to grow a plant on my own private property for my own consumption then no psychopath in power should have the right to tell me I'm not allowed to. Maybe it's a different story if people want to grow and sell (since you'd be potentially avoiding regulations and taxes and quality control and blah blah) but if I want to grow and consume my own cannabis for my own medicinal purposes then no power mad control freak should have the right to refuse me growing my own medicine. Maybe I'd like to only grow for half the year and have enough to last the other half the year, or maybe I'd like to grow for a year or two then have a year or two off, and that would require growing more to build up the supply.

The biggest problem with the current system in most countries is you have a very small few people in power who think they have the right to dictate how other people live and what other people are 'allowed' to do. I shouldn't have to ask or receive permission to grow a plant on my own private property to put into my own body. This isn't democratic. It's authoritarian.

This isn't democratic. It's authoritarian.

My point EXACTLY. They can choose to outlaw something but once they are found to be full of shit as most politicians are, they think when they sit around and do nothing because of their views while WE are being arrested and put in jail for NOTHING. So finally we take it into our own hands and have millions spent while the dickless politicians sit around jerk each other to get it repealed and a sensible system in place than simply as they didn't want it despite teaching us the system majority rules that's Democratic and when they can't use their dirty tricks as question 4 was sent to the supreme court but passed as it didn't include ANYTHING poorly written, so after a failed attempt to sabotage by messing with voter manuals they think they can say "well, we don't agree with THIS so we don't care you want it we are better, and our word>the peoples so now that it passed they can go ahead and make it null and void?!? The millions spent lost? If it was their decision or a bad law and we don't want it they can force it. Democratic systems are NOT one-sided. EVERYONE needs to oppose this.

I ONLY PRAY as their self imposed deadline passed with no compromise nothing gets to Baker and this horseshit dies off. But we all know even with that, they still have till the 8th or 9th. I wouldn't be shocked if a day or 2 before we hear "Senate and house reach compromise" so let's pray they fucked themselves...

My point EXACTLY. They can choose to outlaw something but once they are found to be full of shit as most politicians are, they think when they sit around and do nothing because of their views while WE are being arrested and put in jail for NOTHING. So finally we take it into our own hands and have millions spent while the dickless politicians sit around jerk each other to get it repealed and a sensible system in place than simply as they didn't want it despite teaching us the system majority rules that's Democratic and when they can't use their dirty tricks as question 4 was sent to the supreme court but passed as it didn't include ANYTHING poorly written, so after a failed attempt to sabotage by messing with voter manuals they think they can say "well, we don't agree with THIS so we don't care you want it we are better, and our word>the peoples so now that it passed they can go ahead and make it null and void?!? The millions spent lost? If it was their decision or a bad law and we don't want it they can force it. Democratic systems are NOT one-sided. EVERYONE needs to oppose this.

I ONLY PRAY as their self imposed deadline passed with no compromise nothing gets to Baker and this horseshit dies off. But we all know even with that, they still have till the 8th or 9th. I wouldn't be shocked if a day or 2 before we hear "Senate and house reach compromise" so let's pray they fucked themselves...
Don't hold your breath !!:surf:

Don't hold your breath !!:surf:
Well! The deadline might not have run out but I am happy with what was settled and agreed on. Very fair compared to what was potentially I in place! I believe we in MA have a very fair law. Tax could be lower, but overall I'm glad my town will need a referendum. That should have completely stayed with the people, but better split and have the way you voted determine the vote rather than screw the towns who voted in favor. . .

Back
Top Bottom