Jewish Foodies Lose Their Minds Over Marijuana Matzo Balls

Ron Strider

Jewish food maven Joan Nathan has some serious chutzpah.

In a recent cooking demo for Vice's "Bong Appétit" series, Nathan, who's considered the Julia Child of Jewish cuisine, infuses classic matzo balls with a trippy twist: weed.

"It's supposed to be lighthearted," the "King Solomon's Table" cookbook author tells The Post of her pot-powered recipe. "I don't think [a little marijuana is] crazy."

The Eastern European food staple, often served during Sabbath dinner, is traditionally made with matzo meal, egg, oil, salt, pepper and schmaltz (rendered poultry fat). Nathan's controversial recipe adds hemp – specifically, cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychoactive marijuana derivative. CBD doesn't get you high, but it's been shown to lessen pain, anxiety and inflammation.

Nathan says she's never "smoked" weed – "I have other things to do with my life" – but has eaten it twice. In the Vice video, she coos over her stoner soup's "nutty" aroma, and sprinkles on some cannabis leaves for color: "nice and green."

Some Jewish foodies think her marijuana matzo balls are blasphemous.

"It is a bit sacrilegious," says New Jersey-based professional chef Sarah Lasry. "Sabbath is such a high to begin with . . . There's no need to infuse anything with weed."

And Faigie, a 57-year-old bubbe in Manhattan who declined to give her last name, is plainly horrified. "I am offended . . . How dare you introduce a recreational drug into our family meal?"

The reefer recipe has some supporters, though. Actress Fran Drescher, of "The Nanny" fame, says she's intrigued by the idea.

"I'm totally into it," she tells the Post. "I'm a big believer [that] cannabis can help every individual."

Love it or hate it, Nathan says her "experiment" was likely a one-time thing. "I'd rather have my matzo balls with ginger and nutmeg," she says.

Edibles_Matzo_Balls_-_iStockphoto.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Jewish foodies lose their minds over marijuana matzo balls | New York Post
Author: Doree Lewak
Photo Credit: iStockphoto

Back
Top Bottom