1 tub rdwc bubbler system help

jj972tx

Heyyy 420 I'm a newbie looking to build my own rdwc system. I want to use one 18 gallon tub with maybe 6 net pots. Will have another 18 gallon as a reservoir/controller. Ihave afew questions before i start putting it together. I would appreciate any advice. 1) is 18gallon agood size for this setup? (would prefer to stay away from individual bucket system) 2) what size tubing should my inlet and return line be? 3) do i need air stones in just site or in res as well? 4) i assume the res would be used for topping/testing/draining? 5) will six net pots work or is that too many/not enough?

Iam doing all this in 1.75x3.5x6 ft box w/ 400w hps/ mh. Walls are lined with panda.

Heya jj and welcome to 420mag.

A few questions for you.

What are the dimensions of the tub?

What size net pots were you planing on using?

Yes, always use air stones in the bucket. It's just worth it, plain and simple. Keep in mind also that the cooler the water, the more oxygen gets dissolved in the water (hence the term dissolved oxygen) and the difference is huge. So keeping the water cool will not only prevent root rot, but also pump vastly more amounts of oxygen into the water.

Keep in mind with multiple net pots in a single tub, the closer together the net pots are (or center to center spacing) the more your plants will shade each other out from the light down in the mid-lower sections, hence you need to tend to grow them smaller, or you better surround the hell out of them with light.

Also, the size of the net pots is an issue as they get taller and heavy with flowers. the small 2.75" net pots cannot support them well so you'll need to have a way to add tie down support to the main branches or one morning when you come in after lights on, you'll have your plants laying over on their sides. Keep this in mind. String can be a great friend.

Heya jj and welcome to 420mag.

A few questions for you.

What are the dimensions of the tub?

What size net pots were you planing on using?

Yes, always use air stones in the bucket. It's just worth it, plain and simple. Keep in mind also that the cooler the water, the more oxygen gets dissolved in the water (hence the term dissolved oxygen) and the difference is huge. So keeping the water cool will not only prevent root rot, but also pump vastly more amounts of oxygen into the water.

Keep in mind with multiple net pots in a single tub, the closer together the net pots are (or center to center spacing) the more your plants will shade each other out from the light down in the mid-lower sections, hence you need to tend to grow them smaller, or you better surround the hell out of them with light.

Also, the size of the net pots is an issue as they get taller and heavy with flowers. the small 2.75" net pots cannot support them well so you'll need to have a way to add tie down support to the main branches or one morning when you come in after lights on, you'll have your plants laying over on their sides. Keep this in mind. String can be a great friend.

You been there did this one in the beginning didn't ya Bass?

Nothing wrong with the bucket system, you can move the buckets around as you need, cheap, easy to work on. what ever you end up running I'd go no smaller than 3/4 line for the return.

Back
Top Bottom