15 Year Old Seeds: Can They Still Sprout?

DezmondG

Hey Everyone. Kinda cool thing happened today. I was cleaning up some stuff and going through some boxes and came across a little tin I forgot about ;). Has a bunch of seeds from about 15 years ago. They are in a little baggie and have been in that tin.
Soooooo. Are there any techniques out there to help with germination? Or do I just pop them in a cup of water till they sink and then to paper towel?
Thanks all for the help :)

I have had some 15+ year seeds sprout. I have put them in wet towels and I have put them in wet soil. If the seed is good it will sprout there is not a way to help a bad seed. It is just about keeping them moist, dark and warm until they sprout.

Oh forgot to add, For the seeds you are not using store them in a cool dry place helps and make sure they get no light. I found in the fridge works real good.

LOL i generally agree but I don’t use the paper towel method anymore. It’s a waste of time.

Let them soak overnight and then plant in soil. Think about it in terms of biology: what does that paper towel have that normal soil does not?

If you’re worried about wasting soil, just use those trays for cloning with a bunch of tiny plugs for soil.

I have done side by side tests and the seeds sprouted with the paper towel method are almost always slower to emerge from the soil than those planted straight after soaking.

Back
Top Bottom