1st Grow, Bagseed, CFL's..

awesome. I just ordered my light hangers and some 2 mil mylar. Hopefully it will get here by the time i need to drop them in the 5 gal buckets so i can re-assemble the grow box.

Oh, just some added information to the journal. My temps have stayed at a consistent 70F all weekend, but the humidity is a bit high at 80-85%. Running a fan in the room didn't change it at all. I think I'm gonna have to get a dehumidifier when i start flowering.

checked on them this morning before work and a few of the plants are showing their next set of leaves. They haven't grown any taller yet, which I'm happy for, as it means my light is close enough.

I'm thinking of turning off the 45W cfl i have on them and just running the 4x40W cool white tubes as they have a better color temp for vegging. Ill pick up some warmer tubes when i start flowering if i haven't gotten an HPS unit yet and then throw the other 2 CFL's on them. I'll be using an extra 40W of power, but i think its worth it to give the babies a better spectrum and help them grow big and strong.

I plan on LSTing them A LOT... It's the only way I've seen amazing results from CFL's.

These things are growing at a pretty decent rate. I check on them a few times a day, and i can usually notice the new growth.. I wish i could speed up time a month and see where they are then. I'm thinking I will start flowering at the end of the month or early next month. That gives me enough time to get a dehumidifier for the room and get the humidity under control.

Can anybody give me an opinion on this idea? In the room, i have the ducting from the furnace running through it. Would it be beneficial to try and draw fresh air from the ducting? I know i will run into some dust, but do you think it would it be a harmful level of dust? What if i used some kind of air filter as i drew the air in? I'm just trying to find a way to get fresh air into the basement, and that seems to be the easiest way. I hope a combination of this and the dehumidifier will help to maintain a steady, safe climate in the room. As it is, my temp and humidity has stayed the same for days.

yeah I'll definitely need to do something about that since it stays around 85% right now. I'm hoping drawing some fresh air in will help to lower it too, as the room circulation is very good right now, i just need a good intake source. I might even rig up an exhaust fan for the entire room. I'm learning a lot each day, and my imagination and creativity is being stimulated very much by this grow.

Thanks for all your comments 420fied

heres a pic update. It's been 8 days since the last pictures. I think they're all growing nicely except the 2 slow ones. The one looks like it hasn't grown at all though. Some shots are a bit blurry as i didn't turn the fan off and they were blowing around

group shot
8-6-09_001.jpg

8-6-09_007.jpg

8-6-09_006.jpg

8-6-09_005.jpg

8-6-09_004.jpg

8-6-09_003.jpg

8-6-09_002.jpg

I got my light hangers in yesterday but haven't had a chance to install them yet. The Mylar should be here tomorrow, so I think I'm to throw them into 5 gallon buckets over the weekend. I'll throw #1 in a 5 gal and see if it grows at all. It's just odd that it's been a week and it hasn't grown or shown any signs of dying.

I noticed a gnat flying around a few days ago, and then i found a spider in the room and a bit of webbing, so I'm happy for my little bug catcher.. I haven't seen any other bugs which is great.. Hopefully my spider man eats em all.

Seedlings lookin good Crimson. Make sure you get a bag of gravel or river rock so you can put some in the bottoms of the 5-gal's for drainage. I also think perlite would make a good addition to any soil mix you plan to transplant into. Maybe mix some sand in too. What kind of hid were you lookin at?

They're looking happy, keep it up. In small cups like that I went 3-4 days without watering. I added perlite to my final soil mix and recommend it for you. I water every 4 days now in their perm homes. If I hadn't done it I would be waiting much longer than that for the soil to dry. You can definetly control the height of your plants based on how far the lights are from them. I did on my grow and it took past their 4th set of leaves to break 2 inches in height. I've LST'ed them and now they're bushes. Just letting ya know what I've been able to do w/ CFL's.

Seedlings lookin good Crimson. Make sure you get a bag of gravel or river rock so you can put some in the bottoms of the 5-gal's for drainage. I also think perlite would make a good addition to any soil mix you plan to transplant into. Maybe mix some sand in too. What kind of hid were you lookin at?

I'm thinking just a 400W HPS.. I kind of want a 600, but i think it will be a tad too big for my room and what I plan on doing. I'm just doing this for my personal stash, so I'm not looking for super big harvests. When the money comes though, I'll probably end up springing for the 600W :yummy:

They're looking happy, keep it up. In small cups like that I went 3-4 days without watering. I added perlite to my final soil mix and recommend it for you. I water every 4 days now in their perm homes. If I hadn't done it I would be waiting much longer than that for the soil to dry. You can definetly control the height of your plants based on how far the lights are from them. I did on my grow and it took past their 4th set of leaves to break 2 inches in height. I've LST'ed them and now they're bushes. Just letting ya know what I've been able to do w/ CFL's.

Thanks for stoppin in dude. When i first planted them, i went 3-4 days before watering, but as they grow bigger, they get dry really quickly so i water then every 2 days. I plan to start LST as soon as possible when they get a bit stronger.

Yeah, they look like they are choking in that soil, I would definitely mix in a fair amount of perlite when you transplant.

As of now they're doing fine in the soil, but due to the texture i think i might run into drainage problems when its in the 5 gal buckets. I'll pick up some perlite to mix in with the transplant.

I noticed i have a few gnats flying around. I have seen in other journals people putting a layer of sand on top of the soil to prevent them. Is there any type of sand specifically to use for this?

Also, do you guys think i can find perlite at home depot or lowes or something, or would i have to go to a hydro shop or something?

They have grown quite a bit since the last pictures, so ill throw up a pic update tonight. I haven't gotten the light hangers or mylar up yet, but I'll have some time this week to get that done.

as promised, here is a pic update of the babies. I'm going to run to the store tonight and try to grab some perlite. I'll probably end up transplanting this weekend depending on how much they grow.

I'm very pleased with how well the stems are strengthening. I just have a small fan blowing across them, enough to make the stems shake. This is all just with the 1 shop light on also.

I think #1 isn't going to make it, it really hasn't grown at all. What are your thoughts?

Here are pics 10 days since they broke soil

Group
8-10-09_001.jpg

8-10-09_002.jpg

8-10-09_003.jpg

8-10-09_004.jpg

8-10-09_005.jpg

8-10-09_006.jpg

8-10-09_007.jpg

You should still try to grow #1, sometimes the runts can surprise the hell out of you. Though I must admit, that is an interesting looking runt.

Back
Top Bottom