1st Grow, Clone SCROG Organic Soil

The hormones responsible for flower are degraded by light. 12 hours of darkness allows the flowering hormones to build up to a concentration needed to induce flowering. I think that the 36 hours of darkness is more people going 12 hours is good 36 must be better. I have not seen any evidence that once you hit the threshold of need hormone that more of it causes faster switch to flower. Personally I have had great results with 12 and have never tried 36 hours of darkness. I would guess that you would see less stretch more to the fact that they got less light. If you want to slow stretch increase you potassium to nitrogen levels. That is why a lot of bloom formulas are really high in potassium. Well that is my two cents on the topic.

:peace:

The hormones responsible for flower are degraded by light. 12 hours of darkness allows the flowering hormones to build up to a concentration needed to induce flowering. I think that the 36 hours of darkness is more people going 12 hours is good 36 must be better. I have not seen any evidence that once you hit the threshold of need hormone that more of it causes faster switch to flower. Personally I have had great results with 12 and have never tried 36 hours of darkness. I would guess that you would see less stretch more to the fact that they got less light. If you want to slow stretch increase you potassium to nitrogen levels. That is why a lot of bloom formulas are really high in potassium. Well that is my two cents on the topic.

:peace:

Thanks roots good to see both sides of the story.

Flower Day 1

So the long 36hr dark period is done and I opened the door just prior to the lights coming on to snap a few pic in natural light.

Here is what I opened the door to environment wise. I was very happy.
Temp4.jpg

Group photo
Group213.jpg

Group114.jpg

Recons
Group35.jpg

I noticed a distinct change in the way the new growth was growing looked stringy. That recon plant is very impressive easy to grow, vigorous growth. the only problem is I didn't give it enough room to grow.

Took me over 2hrs to pull all those tops back under and do a little under growth trimming.

My fist attempt at a close up...

Recon11.jpg

Recon.jpg

Recon21.jpg

Recon3.jpg

Gotta Love the Indicas
WR11.jpg

He had to come see what all the commotion was about
snake_.jpg

Hey Sungod, just caught up on your journal :nicethread:

Plants are looking very healthy. The screen looks sweet too! Only prob I can see is getting to the back when the plants have filled the screen...you'll have to bust out the ninja moves to move around underneath! :biglaugh:

Done a bit of research on your strains -Some nice genetics you got and they look ideal for meds!

All the best sundog I'll be watching. :peace:

Hey Sungod, just caught up on your journal :nicethread:

Plants are looking very healthy. The screen looks sweet too! Only prob I can see is getting to the back when the plants have filled the screen...you'll have to bust out the ninja moves to move around underneath! :biglaugh:

Done a bit of research on your strains -Some nice genetics you got and they look ideal for meds!

All the best sundog I'll be watching. :peace:

And being 6'4" doesn't help getting under that screen either. Next grow I will def. make it so I can walk all the way around. live and learn right.

And being 6'4" doesn't help getting under that screen either. Next grow I will def. make it so I can walk all the way around. live and learn right.

I mentioned this before and if I had the space and gear, I was thinking a vertical scrog. Make two rectangular platforms on wheels that lock together. On each half of the square they make put a screen like your's, but more curved to make a half a circle. Hang a 1000W HPS in a cool tube down the center of the circle when the two platforms are joined, use a pulley to convert a little horizontal mover into a vertical one to make the 1000W move up and down the scrog. Am thinking could be pretty good production, place your pots outside the screen and get the plant to stretch it's way up into a 7 foot tall screen (mylar 6 inches or so behind it), then bloom it, turn the rest of it's stretch into screen filling, with a huge stalk like that you will have many many bud sites...and yes I am smoking :smokin: :grinjoint:

:peace: from the mountains!

(P.S. Contemplated doing a small one but decided I don't have the lights or space for it, but the plan used a $20 adjustable clothes rack...here was the picture I drew)
RackMH1.jpg

Wow thats a great idea. I have a hard time thinking out side the box sometimes. That would work well for those long narrow closets.. +reps if I could...

Went out picked up some ph testing fluid to tide me over until, my replacement probe gets her. also picked up some ona, just to help the filter. We get a lot of company and just don't want to take any chances. We actually had the county sheriff over the other day so I'd say we're doing alright for now.

She's looking great!!!

If you are really worried about the space for the one plant, you could probably get it out of the scrog still and move it. Just keep telling yourself to be gentle and bend the whole branch. I don't know that I would worry about it though. But I will tell you from experience if you end up with branches you wish you'd done better - it bugs you.

+Reps if I can

I think I'm pretty committed to let do what they do. If it ends up in disaster then I will know not to do it that way again. Live and learn right. I'm pretty happy with the way everything is progressing. I'm very excited to be in the 12/12 cycle now. Things are gonna start happening now....

Just wanted to post a few pics of the room after I got it all sealed up for 12/12.

The new light proof vent.

fresh_air_filter2.jpg

Brown caulk to seal all seams and light leaks. Inside the box and filter there are three more pieces of blue filter material to block light
fresh_air_filter.jpg

1 3/4" hole drilled with computer cable through cap sealed with caulk.
plug_seal.jpg

Stays dark enough where I can smack my self in the face with out blinking. :smokin:

I have been wondering about light and flower formation. I know at the local university they recently looked at different horticulture HPS and MH bulbs for tomato production. Still found that HPS produced more fruit and less vegetative growth and MH produced more growth and less fruit. Nothing new and still why I use HPS over MH. Didn't really discuss why that might be. One thing I want to look at is research on light frequency on hormonal control but just haven't had time to get around to it. I wish we could see some data too on MH/UV on trichome production. I would like to see some hard data on that. I know UV is very important for Vit C production in tomatoes so why not for THC in cannabis.

You know 36hrs is going to feel like a prison sentence for a new grower. Heck I have a hard time leaving the door shut for the 6hr veg period.....

I can stare at mine so long my knees hurt, and it's BAGSEED!
I just learned that staying with MH with red spectrum for the first two weeks of flower is a common practice, then switching to HPS.

I have been wondering about light and flower formation. I know at the local university they recently looked at different horticulture HPS and MH bulbs for tomato production. Still found that HPS produced more fruit and less vegetative growth and MH produced more growth and less fruit. Nothing new and still why I use HPS over MH. Didn't really discuss why that might be. One thing I want to look at is research on light frequency on hormonal control but just haven't had time to get around to it. I wish we could see some data too on MH/UV on trichome production. I would like to see some hard data on that. I know UV is very important for Vit C production in tomatoes so why not for THC in cannabis.

Great information to have access to. I to like to see the data of why things do what they do. Sometimes I have a hard time accepting because. +reps If I could.

Been dealing with fungus gnats for awhile now. I've kept them under control with nematodes and sticky traps. This evening I went in my room and noticed a few white flies for the first time. I think I"m going to dump some serious lady bugs in there to try to get them under control I can get 1500 for 8 bucks at the local store. and was thinking of using some kind of spray to control my bug problem. Does anyone have any advice for the new guy??

Back
Top Bottom