1st Time Outdoor Grow

Good work on the one last plant!! Now did all 60 seeds pop thats pretty stranges to only end up with 3 IMO. But none the less take care of your baby, and I bet she'll like the superthirve!!!

I found a commercial potting soil in a local store that I really like, so I haven't had to mix my own.

This site is loaded with recipes for potting soils that you can make yourself, as you mentioned.

I don't know enough about home-brewed growing mediums to give you advice on that, but if you use the "search" function on the forum, you should be able to find lots of info.

regards,

SS

Thanks guys, actually all most all of the seeds popped so it wasn't an issue with germing them. The first batch I germed in the house then planted directly outside. Doing that only a few sprouted into seedlings, 1 just up and died one day for unknown reasons, and another was dug up by a deer. The second batch I germed in the house, put in jiffy peat pellets and grew up the seedlings for a few days until the root started showing out the bottom, then transplanted outside. All of these either just up and died or were dug up by deer except one that seemed to take off, but after a strong rain storm broke completely off the stem. Many lessons learned here the hard way lol. I think a lot of the new batch died due to poor drainage and hard clay soil. Our soil is very heavy clay, even with the predug holes and potting soil fill it just wasn't big enough.

My intentions on the next batch is to veg inside then transplant maybe half outside for flowering and keep the other half inside just to see the difference. I do plan on growing inside all the way for the winter.

Instead of buying 2 more of the t5 fixtures I'm leaning more towards 1 more t5 and 2 of the triband high power 120w led's. Basically the 2 t5's will be in the middle over the top of the plants and 1 of the led's on each side angled down and in a bit, this should help get a little extra light to the bottom of the plants as well being angled down and in from the outsides. I read be irie's led grow and think that there might be something to filling in the light spectrum a little better with the led's. I'm sure this will work awsome for veging but am curious to see what the flowering will do with the combo of the 2 8 bulb 4' t5 units with the flowering bulbs and the 2 led's together. If it doesn't work well for flowering I guess I'll move to an hps but want to give it a try anyway. It looks like I can get the 120w led units on ebay for $320 a piece with free shipping, expensive but still won't break the bank. Will be well worth it if it produces better as I imagine it will.

I really don't want to run elaborate ventilation systems and would like to keep the electric bill down so if this works it will be ideal. I plan on only putting in a ceiling bathroom type vent blowing into the attic. I have a o2 unit and an air purifier with activated carbon, hepa, and ionizer in it that I plan on using. Hopefully these will be enough.

I found a commercial potting soil in a local store that I really like, so I haven't had to mix my own.

This site is loaded with recipes for potting soils that you can make yourself, as you mentioned.

I don't know enough about home-brewed growing mediums to give you advice on that, but if you use the "search" function on the forum, you should be able to find lots of info.

regards,

SS

Ok, so I got my new batch of 10 medijuana seeds and 20 free from ams yesterday, now sitting in wet paper towels.

Here we go again, 3rd time's a charm right?

Ok, not even 24 hours from putting the seeds in towels and a few are already showing tap roots, will probably put in soil late tonight or early tomorrow.

I just finished mixing up my soil, I used 1 bag of organic top soil (40lbs), 1 1/2 bags of peat moss, and 2 bags of mg perlite (small bags from walmart).

I wanted to add worm castings but couldn't find any around here and didn't feel like waiting for it to get shipped. I did buy some fish emulsions however that I will add into the mix later tonight. Everything for the mix was in the back of my truck and it's been raining all day so from all the holes in the bag the soil and moss was soaked, but after mixing it all up it feels good and spongy even being soaked so I think it will be light enough anyway.

I haven't had a chance to test the ph yet so hopefully it will be ok, I know foxfarms would have been better but I've only got around $15 into this mix which is a damn site cheaper than foxfarms would be for the same amount (3/4 of a rubbermade wheelbarrow full) lol. This will be enough to fill my 30 dixie cups for sure and have a good chunk left over for transplanting as well.

These will be planted into dixie cups and sat under my 1 4' 8bulb t5 with 6500k bulbs to start out with. In a few weeks I plan on buying another identical t5 unit and possibly 2 of the triband 120w led units. What I have planned out for this is to have the 2 t5 units down the middle stationary with 1 led on the left side on a light mover and the other led unit on the right side also on a light mover with the lights angled down and in a little bit to help get light to the middle and bottom of the plant's better and to help fill in the spectrum. I still haven't gotten my mylar yet though, hopefully I can get that within a week or so. I think with moving the plants around every few days under this system they should veg very nicely. I wish I had the money to get everything now but I gotta work with what I got.

Once I get the seeds in cups and in the new grow room I'll get a pic posted.

I haven't gotten a chance to look at the old plant outside yet since it's last feeding with superthrive, hopefully I can get out there tomorrow and grab a pic of it and see how it's doing. It's been raining all day here yet again so hopefully the roots aren't getting too wet. I didn't prep the soil very well at all on the first batch that the plant is from and we have really heavy clay so I get worried about drainage. Hopefully the 3 in 1 spray I sprayed it with the other day will keep the damn grasshoppers from munching on it now anyway.

I've tried four different locally available potting soils and my experience has been that if you're going to economize, your soil isn't a good place to do it.

The different potting soils had significantly different results.

Fortunately, the potting soil that had the best results for me is $10 a bag, which isn't cheap, but not too crazy.

What's in the organic topsoil you bought?

regards,

SS

What's in the organic topsoil you bought?

SS

Just a bag from the local farm store, not really any info on it.

It does feel very light and spongy after mixing it all together with the perlite and peat moss, and did get a chance to test the ph today and it was reading between 6 and 6.5 so I think we're good there. Here's a pic of the soil:
soil4.jpg

The good news is all 10 of the medijuana seeds popped and now have them in soil in dixie cups under the light. So far only 9 of the 20 free seeds have popped, they are also in soil under the light. Hopefully the rest will pop later tonight or tomorrow. I decided not to use any fish emulsion yet, instead just used a thin solution of superthrive and mg starter to soak the soil in after putting in the seeds. I'll add the fish emulsion to the solution once the seedlings are established well. I'll switch to mg tomato nutes after a couple weeks of growth, I've heard some people get decent results with it. Temperature is at 75 degrees right above the cups and humidity is at 38%. I placed a small humidifier in there to try and get the humidity up to around 55%.

I did check the old plant outside today and there is some new growth on the top but the yellow leaves on the bottom are drying up and about to fall off. I didn't see any more insect damage though so hopefully the spray put an end to that.
oldplant75.jpg

Crossing my fingers and hoping all goes well this time.

On day 3 now and the other half of free seeds still haven't cracked, starting to think they probably wont at this point.

The seeds that did crack have been in soil under light now for 24 hours, hopefully we'll start seeing sprouts soon. I just really hope my homemade soil concoction works out and hope I did the right thing by using superthrive and mg starter solution in the initial watering.

I kind of bummed that so many of the free seeds didn't crack, the last 2 batches I had almost all of the seeds cracked. Oh well, at least all of the medijuana seeds were good. Maybe I can make up for it with clones later.

On day 3 now and the other half of free seeds still haven't cracked, starting to think they probably wont at this point.

The seeds that did crack have been in soil under light now for 24 hours, hopefully we'll start seeing sprouts soon. I just really hope my homemade soil concoction works out and hope I did the right thing by using superthrive and mg starter solution in the initial watering.

I kind of bummed that so many of the free seeds didn't crack, the last 2 batches I had almost all of the seeds cracked. Oh well, at least all of the medijuana seeds were good. Maybe I can make up for it with clones later.

Sometimes the free seeds are older stock and the germination ratio is not good.

Oh well, at least they're free.

regards,

SS

i am new to this site so i dont know if this is the right place to post, however : i am i first time grower and everything was going perfect untill my plant outgrew the pot and i put it in a new one, when i was taking it out of the first pot i could not get deep enough to get the enitre roots out, i heard roots breaking(just like an acutaul weed when weeding) i continued to transplant it but i am concerned the the breaking of the roots will stop its growth. Any help is must appreciated thanks guys!

So a couple of the medi's have sprouted so far today, once the rest of them pop up I'll post a pic. My humidity is still only at 45% even using my small humidifier on high, I do have a larger one that I can use if I need to but once the plants are all growing it will cause the humidity to go up a little higher correct? I'm also using a small carbon/hepa filter with ionizer on low running as well just to keep a good clean air flow circulating, would this affect the humidity at all? Both the humidifier and the filter are blowing directly at the cups right next to each other, I'll post a pic later once the sprouts are all up.

The other free seeds still haven't cracked so it looks like it's game over for them, oh well.

Arizonabudski, maybe pick up some superthrive and mg transplant solution and give it to your plant. A lot of people say the superthrive is great for stressed plants and helps root health. You can pick them both up at walmart.

Ok, it's been 4 days since planting the germinated seeds in soil and so far only 4 of the medijuana seeds and 2 of the free have sprouted. I germinated in peat pellets last time and all of the sprouted by now, does it usually take longer when sprouting directly in soil?

Ok, checked on the outside plant today and it doesn't look good, even after spraying with 3 in 1 repellent it's still getting eaten alive, here's a pic:
oldplant710.jpg

I also had some mothball shavings around the plant when I planted it, should I put some more out around it?

So for the indoor plants I've only got 4 medijuana seedlings and only 2 of the free seedlings. This is the 5th day from planting the germinated seeds in the dixie cups so I'm starting to think that's all I'm going to have. The ones that are up do look ok so far though, here's some pics:

1st 2 medijuana seedlings to come up:
med1710.jpg

2nd 2 medijuana seedlings to come up:
med2710.jpg

The 2 free seedlings:
free710.jpg

Here's a pic of the grow room:
growroom9.jpg

I've got 1 humidifier and 1 activated carbon/hepa/ionizer filter in the room, temps are staying around 75 and humidity around 40%.
I'm still waiting on my mylar to get here.
(the cups not in the tray are actually strawberries, not weed lol)

I'm really disapointed with the amount of seedlings that came up this time. The next time I'll sprout in the jiffy peat pellets again like I did last time then transplant to the dixie cups. Hopefully I can keep what I have alive long enough to sex and start getting clones to help make up for the loss. Anyone got any extra seeds they want to sell me to ruin lol?

At this point I'm going to say that I'm probably the worst grower in history lol.

Thank ss, well I guess they're still poppin, I had 1 more free seed sprout this morning and it looks like at least 1 more of the med is just now starting to poke it's head out.

What are you're thoughts on humidity? My humidity seems to stay around 40% as long as my humidifier is running (30% if not running). I read that 50% is ideal, will 40% slow the growth or worse, hurt the plants?

Just a side note, this batch of free seeds from AMS must be a different strain, I know they were supposed to be an indica/sativa cross but this batch seems to have much fatter indica looking leaves compared to the last 2 batches that had much thinner leaves. The free seed's leaves are actually fatter than my medijuana sprouts which is supposed to be almost all indica. Neither here nor there I guess, just something I noticed today.

if you can throw a wire cage around that plant to keep the deer and rabbits away and quit using tomato fertilizer, that is for acid loving plants. It looks like it is ready to take off but at this point one slug or snail can wipe it out. if you are going to pinch it back now is the time to do it. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom