2nd Grow Ever Fingers Crossed

Cheers All :blunt:

So this is my first post as a new member and my second grow ever.

I've always been a burner but it wasn't until the beginning of this year that I got my medical card. It was the day I was filling out my card application that it hit me that with this card I was going to be able to do something that I've always wanted to do...grow my own...LEGALLY!!

It was the same day I started my reading and plan of attack. I knew nothing about growing but I knew that I had permission from the state, permission from the wife, lol, and the power of Google!

With my limited space in the spare bedroom and limited budget I knew I needed a "cabinet" of sort. I did a lot of looking around but hadn't found the box that suited me. One day my wife and I were at one of the local lumberyards that I frequent and she pointed out a shed on display and asked me if I thought it would work. I gotta tell ya, her suggestion really threw me off. That idea had already crossed my mind but I thought for sure that she wouldn't like "the look" and I would have to find something with more of a "finished" look...but...she suggested it...sooo...it was on! :goof: The outdoor shed was purchased, setup indoors and name changed to cabinet.

I have several friends who grow in dirt and several that grow in DWC but I don't know anyone personally that grows in RWDC. I knew for sure that I wanted to do a SCOG over a RDWC setup. So the reading began, lots and lots of reading!

As far as the gear goes I tried to pick things that...
a) had good reviews (quality speaking)
b) had good growers reviews
c) fit in my immediate budget.

My first 2 choices in pots and reservoirs were undersized and weren't particularly easy to plumb the way I would have liked. Sooo...after wasting a bit of cheese on those I cut to the chase and went with 2 Current Culture 8 gallon pots in line with a Current Culture 8 gallon reservoir and added a CC 13 gallon top off reservoir. To keep the water chilly chill I went with a Active Aqua 1/10hp chiller. To keep the water moving I went with a Hygger 800gph DC adjustable flow pump. To keep the ladies tanned I was so back and forth on which lights to go with. Budget played a huge factor in this choice. I really leaned on "user reviews" when choosing Mars Hydro TSW 2000's. Which brings me to the next gear choice...exhaust. I chose to go with and bought a 4" AC Ifinity fan, scrubber and muffler. As you can see in the pictures, with my first grow (which was Purple Afghani) I had both pots and both lights in one cabinet. It didn't take long to know that I was way under in CFM ehausted. Not only that but I realized that in my design I left zero room for a fan for the canopy. Not good at all and was reminded of it at harvest with a bit of mold in the larger buds. Though in the end I had 21 usable oz's I lost just over 3 to the mold. I knew a change was necessary. While trying to decided what to do my smart suggestive wife said I should just get another shed and split the system. Once again she threw me off, I absolutely thought for sure she would be against a complete take over the bedroom wall...but...once again...she suggested it...soo...it was on!

With that, a second shed was purchased, I ordered 2 new 6" AC Ifinity exhaust fans with their scrubbers and mufflers, got another shed and split the system. After it was all said and built I gained the space for oscillating fans and 2 more square feet of SCROG canopy space per each plant. :yahoo:

*Small disclaimer...no "ankles" were broken while doing said "system split" upgrade as said "ankle" was already broken just a couple of weeks before I did said "system split" upgrade. :rofl: That was interesting to say the least, a one legged crutched up pothead hell bent on getting it done!*

So after all the hopping and cussing I filled the system, fired it all up and did a week's test run to make sure everything was leak free and at a safe temperature. While the setup was on test I dropped some Zkittles beans and watched em pop!

Which brings us to this last Monday, which is when I layed the ladies into their new beds, all in hopes of BIG things! With my GH Nutrients, the 5 Stage RO system that I already had for the reef tank, a much higher CFM fan setup and oscillating fans for the canopies I'm hoping to get closer to 30oz or so out of 2 plants. :thumb:

I appreciate all who may be interested and following or have answers for this newb, as I'm sure I will have some questions.
20200617_102645-1.jpg
20200721_174414.jpg
20200601_205615.jpg
20201203_174033.jpg
20201202_201211.jpg
20201202_201220.jpg
20201114_173426-1.jpg
Screenshot_20200516-232505_Video Player.jpg
20201215_211102.jpg
20201215_211321.jpg

I've always been a burner but it wasn't until the beginning of this year that I got my medical card. It was the day I was filling out my card application that it hit me that with this card I was going to be able to do something that I've always wanted to do...grow my own...LEGALLY!!

It was the same day I started my reading and plan of attack. I knew nothing about growing but I knew that I had permission from the state, permission from the wife, lol, and the power of Google!

With my limited space in the spare bedroom and limited budget I knew I needed a "cabinet" of sort. I did a lot of looking around but hadn't found the box that suited me. One day my wife and I were at one of the local lumberyards that I frequent and she pointed out a shed on display and asked me if I thought it would work. I gotta tell ya, her suggestion really threw me off. That idea had already crossed my mind but I thought for sure that she wouldn't like "the look" and I would have to find something with more of a "finished" look...but...she suggested it...sooo...it was on! :goof: The outdoor shed was purchased, setup indoors and name changed to cabinet.

I have several friends who grow in dirt and several that grow in DWC but I don't know anyone personally that grows in RWDC. I knew for sure that I wanted to do a SCOG over a RDWC setup. So the reading began, lots and lots of reading!

My first 2 choices in pots and reservoirs were undersized and weren't particularly easy to plumb the way I would have liked. Sooo...after wasting a bit of cheese on those I cut to the chase and went with 2 Current Culture 8 gallon pots in line with a Current Culture 8 gallon reservoir and added a CC 13 gallon top off reservoir. To keep the water chilly chill I went with a Active Aqua 1/10hp chiller. To keep the water moving I went with a Hygger 800gph DC adjustable flow pump. To keep the ladies tanned I was so back and forth on which lights to go with. Budget played a huge factor in this choice. I really leaned on "user reviews" when choosing Mars Hydro TSW 2000's. Which brings me to the next gear choice...exhaust. I chose to go with and bought a 4" AC Ifinity fan, scrubber and muffler. As you can see in the pictures, with my first grow (which was Purple Afghani) I had both pots and both lights in one cabinet. It didn't take long to know that I was way under in CFM ehausted. Not only that but I realized that in my design I left zero room for a fan for the canopy. Not good at all and was reminded of it at harvest with a bit of mold in the larger buds. Though in the end I had 21 usable oz's I lost just over 3 to the mold. I knew a change was necessary. While trying to decided what to do my smart suggestive wife said I should just get another shed and split the system. Once again she threw me off, I absolutely thought for sure she would be against a complete take over the bedroom wall...but...once again...she suggested it...soo...it was on!

With that, a second shed was purchased, I ordered 2 new 6" AC Ifinity exhaust fans with their scrubbers and mufflers, got another shed and split the system. After it was all said and built I gained the space for oscillating fans and 2 more square feet of SCROG canopy space per each plant. :yahoo:

*Small disclaimer...no "ankles" were broken while doing said "system split" upgrade as said "ankle" was already broken just a couple of weeks before I did said "system split" upgrade. :rofl: That was interesting to say the least, a one legged crutched up pothead hell bent on getting it done!*

So after all the hopping and cussing I filled the system, fired it all up and did a week's test run to make sure everything was leak free and at a safe temperature. While the setup was on test I dropped some Zkittles beans and watched em pop!

Which brings us to this last Monday, which is when I layed the ladies into their new beds, all in hopes of BIG things! With my GH Nutrients, the 5 Stage RO system that I already had for the reef tank, a much higher CFM fan setup and oscillating fans for the canopies I'm hoping to get closer to 30oz or so out of 2 plants. :thumb:

I appreciate all who may be interested and following or have answers for this newb, as I'm sure I will have some questions.
20200617_102645-1.jpg
20200721_174414.jpg
20200601_205615.jpg
20201203_174033.jpg
20201202_201211.jpg
20201202_201220.jpg
20201114_173426-1.jpg
20201215_211102.jpg
20201215_211321.jpg
Looks fantastic. You really took your time and thought it thought. Excellent work on your setup.

I see now that I'm going to have to get a humidifier. When the lights are off the cabinets hover around 37. When the lights are on they hover around 30. The only other run I've made in this setup was over last summer and fall while the humidity was plenty. I'll figure it out, step by step

I see now that I'm going to have to get a humidifier. When the lights are off the cabinets hover around 37. When the lights are on they hover around 30. The only other run I've made in this setup was over last summer and fall while the humidity was plenty. I'll figure it out, step by step
You must have an engineering background. I did plumbing electric and construction for 30 years, I know how hard it is to get that much equipment into such a small space with that degree of precision. Your pride in your work really shows.
Now your adding a humidifier,
It’s going to be tight can’t wait to see you pull that one off.

You must have an engineering background. I did plumbing electric and construction for 30 years, I know how hard it is to get that much equipment into such a small space with that degree of precision. Your pride in your work really shows.
Now your adding a humidifier,
It’s going to be tight can’t wait to see you pull that one off.
Thank you
I am a carpenter that wears a few hats. I love the R&D side of projects like these. I appreciate your appreciation!
I intend to put the humidifier in the room the cabinets are in.

Well one of the two Zkittles seedlings I dropped is doing great and the other produced it's first set of true leaves then just stopped all growth. So I made a decision to drop 2 Blueberry Widow' beans in a cup of water in hopes for a quick pop and root. I realize that at best the BW will be 2 weeks behind the Zkittles but my thought is that with the scrog I could just let the Zkittles veg a little longer. This is a first for me so I hope I don't regret it. Either way I'm living and learning
Any input and suggestions are so welcomed and appreciated!
This curious mind needs to know

20200617_102645-1.jpg
20200721_174414.jpg
20200601_205615.jpg
20201203_174033.jpg
20201202_201211.jpg
20201202_201220.jpg
20201114_173426-1.jpg
20201215_211102.jpg
20201215_211321.jpg
Love the set-up looking forward to seeing how thing's grow for you

Thank you! I'm hoping for even better results this second time around. So much to learn!
I'm also running 2 plant's and would be pretty happy if I managed 21oz out of them..only time will tell but my hope's aren't very high to avoid any disappointment. I am enjoying the process so if I get a session after its all said and done I will be a happy man.

I'm also running 2 plant's and would be pretty happy if I managed 21oz out of them..only time will tell but my hope's aren't very high to avoid any disappointment. I am enjoying the process so if I get a session after its all said and done I will be a happy man.
I'm of the same mind. Set my expectations low and be damn surprised and thankful by anything greater! I really didn't think I'd ever get that much out my first grow let alone 2 plants. Now I'm curious if I can squeeze yet a little more lemonade from that lemon!

Back
Top Bottom