First Ever Grow Journal

So just another quick update my blue dream started out as the biggest but the other 2 quickly out grew her. And she’s then was looking quite small compared to the others

Well she has cought up to the others now.

Attachments

• 25E3F36C-B3D5-4C15-AA93-F8AD26931AA6.jpeg
    25E3F36C-B3D5-4C15-AA93-F8AD26931AA6.jpeg
    659.2 KB · Views: 105
Hey slim, hope all is going well! The plants seem to be thriving along now, I seen earlier on that one of them was being kind of slow, but it came out of it. Been kind of busy around here so I had to get caught back up on your journal. I see you are getting into some LST and have bent over the tops, this will work well if you can keep all the branches growing away from the middle of the plant. I normally top them and then train the branches, but bending them over and letting them grow in a circle can work as well. Check out the tutorials in my sig below for LST that an older member made, he did one the same way as you are trying to do it.
Keep up the good work in here!

Hey slim, hope all is going well! The plants seem to be thriving along now, I seen earlier on that one of them was being kind of slow, but it came out of it. Been kind of busy around here so I had to get caught back up on your journal. I see you are getting into some LST and have bent over the tops, this will work well if you can keep all the branches growing away from the middle of the plant. I normally top them and then train the branches, but bending them over and letting them grow in a circle can work as well. Check out the tutorials in my sig below for LST that an older member made, he did one the same way as you are trying to do it.
Keep up the good work in here!

Thanks for the comment I will check out that link

Yes the lady’s seem to be doing better now. I’ve made quite a few mistakes from overwatering to not checking my ph on a daily basis and so on. I’m sure I’m making more or will make more but the mistakes are what will help me learn.

being a newbie I guess that’s to be expected lol

So here’s a question for anyone following along. So I have 3 plants growing 1 blue dream and 2 granny’s Med Cbd.

On the granny’s and only on the granny’s it’s seems like the bigger fan leaves always turn yellow and get brown spots ( see pix )

I water every 3 days and water until I get 10%run off. My ph is always 6.4 ( now lol) My temps are a very consistent 25/77 and my humidity sits between 55/60

Again it’s only the bigger fan leaves

I just find it odd maybe it’s the genetics? Is it just that they’ve lived as long as there going to live and dying off. Or somthing else ??

Attachments

• 1D044205-96A3-4AFB-85F2-D6A202054366.jpeg
    1D044205-96A3-4AFB-85F2-D6A202054366.jpeg
    612.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 0FFC0455-AB56-4CFB-B7C1-9A7089CB01BE.jpeg
    0FFC0455-AB56-4CFB-B7C1-9A7089CB01BE.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 105
why every 3 days? are they dry by then, or just almost dry? Your downturned puffy leaves still look to me like the lower roots are drowning

Every 3 days because that’s when there dried out. Not just kinda dry but fully dry.

As for the leaves I just watered them yesterday so that may be why they look puffy??

Every 3 days because that’s when there dried out. Not just kinda dry but fully dry.

As for the leaves I just watered them yesterday so that may be why they look puffy??

I see what your saying maybe I’ll let them go 4 days and see what happens.

why every 3 days? are they dry by then, or just almost dry? Your downturned puffy leaves still look to me like the lower roots are drowning

I ask give them all the same amount of water now So You’d think that if I was overwatering one I’d be over watering them all. But the blue dream don’t not have Any yellowing. Like I said I’ll let them go a day or to longer and see what happens.

I suggest that you are not letting them dry all the way to the bottom. Not Sahara Desert dry. Not yet so dry that if you lifted up the container, you would think you are surely killing them, because you would feel no water weight in there at all. First time growers of weeds are amazed at this point, wondering how in the world the plants could look as happy as they do at this point...
And because you don't let the bottom of the containers dry out, your lower roots have been underwater for a long time, and they are protecting themselves from the flood waters as best they can by shutting down. This shutting down is what is causing the constant droop. The puffyness is the plant trying as hard as it can to evaporate off the water that is drowning it.

I ask give them all the same amount of water now So You’d think that if I was overwatering one I’d be over watering them all. But the blue dream don’t not have Any yellowing. Like I said I’ll let them go a day or to longer and see
I suggest that you are not letting them dry all the way to the bottom. Not Sahara Desert dry. Not yet so dry that if you lifted up the container, you would think you are surely killing them, because you would feel no water weight in there at all. First time growers of weeds are amazed at this point, wondering how in the world the plants could look as happy as they do at this point...
And because you don't let the bottom of the containers dry out, your lower roots have been underwater for a long time, and they are protecting themselves from the flood waters as best they can by shutting down. This shutting down is what is causing the constant droop. The puffyness is the plant trying as hard as it can to evaporate off the water that is drowning it.

Do you think fabric pots would do me any good I feel like any extra water I put in would come out the sides and also allow some evaporation lower Down ??

very little is lost via evaporation... the water leaves the containers only if the plants use it. Just try actually letting them dry out... it really will help.

So here’s my plan I feel as though my plants are ready to water again there super light But I’ll wait and other day and then water based on the fact that I’m new and apparently my judgment is not that great.

Emylia do you think one day would be ok or maybe wait 2 days ? If I wait 2 days I’m looking at watering every 6 days does this seem ok ? I’m leaning on you because of my lack of experience and the fact you know what your doing I get that it all depends on soil and drainage and amount of water going in. But just based off of what you know and see in my pix.

it all depends on the strength of the roots and their ability to uptake all of that water. If it takes 6 days to do that, then that is what it takes, and you really can't hurry it. You can water the top roots with just a small amount of water after 3 or 4 days if you like, just to keep the top set of roots active, but try not to add to the water level sitting in the bottom. The beauty of a growing and expanding root system is that although it might take 6 days to drain that container at first, that will quickly come down to 4 or 5 days... and eventually as the roots strengthen, all the way down to one day... and when your plants can use that much water that quickly, they will be huge and healthy and probably needing to be uppotted into a larger container.

it all depends on the strength of the roots and their ability to uptake all of that water. If it takes 6 days to do that, then that is what it takes, and you really can't hurry it. You can water the top roots with just a small amount of water after 3 or 4 days if you like, just to keep the top set of roots active, but try not to add to the water level sitting in the bottom. The beauty of a growing and expanding root system is that although it might take 6 days to drain that container at first, that will quickly come down to 4 or 5 days... and eventually as the roots strengthen, all the way down to one day... and when your plants can use that much water that quickly, they will be huge and healthy and probably needing to be uppotted into a larger container.

What do these roots tell you ??

Attachments

• 3C3B60D4-D632-4DDC-9AFB-D0CE4183CE2B.jpeg
    3C3B60D4-D632-4DDC-9AFB-D0CE4183CE2B.jpeg
    653.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 3B01FC2E-0E03-4315-91E3-F81799FD9BAA.jpeg
    3B01FC2E-0E03-4315-91E3-F81799FD9BAA.jpeg
    901 KB · Views: 104
  • 00E0FC6A-0AF0-485D-B90C-161DA36E7FDF.jpeg
    00E0FC6A-0AF0-485D-B90C-161DA36E7FDF.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 104
looking at them doesn't tell me a heck of a lot. How fast can they draw up the water that you give them?... that is the information that is important. Just because you can see them doesn't mean that you need to up pot if that is what you are asking... they aren't even wrapping yet.

No that’s not what I was asking. More or less I have been told you can tell a lot by looking at the roots of the plants. The colour and they way they are wrapped up and what not

Overwatered plants do put a protective coating around the roots... whether that is yellow, I just don't know. Looking at the roots in soil really isnt how we usually diagnose problems ... it is all about water usage. If you know some guru who looks at the roots to diagnose problems, please share the knowledge, but you will find me highly skeptical that viewing the very small percentage of roots that might be visible on the outside of the rootball can tell you very much at all.

So today is water day. I have not watered in 5 days. 2 things I’ve noticed

1. When gently squeezing the bottom of the pot the soil sounded crunchy (where it did not before ).

2. And I think most important I took slightly more water to get the same amount of run off. As before As far as how light the pots felt there may have been a difference but I’m not a scale lol.

Now the only reason I watered today was because my lady’s were getting rather wilted

Back
Top Bottom