A New way to clone

The303Stoner

I was reading a thread with a YouTube video I watched and got a few links to this its in Spanish but needs no translation

That technique is called Air-Layering. Allows for taking a clone, without removing the clone from the mother until it has already formed roots.

Just like any other method of propagation, it has it's own specific sets of pros and cons.

Absolutely!

While air-layering is a bomb technique to have in your repertoire, it serves to be just a tad impractical. In the time it takes 1 above average sized clone to root on the mother, you could have taken multiple cuts from the same mother and rooted clones under a small cfl indoors. And While a mother plant can give off hundreds of clones in a single season, the number of clones you can take using solely the air-layer technique drops drastically. Then, there's the aspect, that if done incorrectly one would run the risk of losing an entire limb (or plant?) to stem rot issues.

Don't get me wrong though. Very useful tek on hard-to-clone strains, and a way to take much larger cuttings (in size) than if you were to go about trying to root inside.

Pros:
- Can take a larger clone than normal because it's rooting while still attached to Momma.
- Alternative method for those that have a hard time cloning other ways.
- If one doesn't have a devoted indoor clone area, it allows you to keep a clone or few when otherwise it may not be easily done.

I'm sure there are other benefits, I just can't think of any more at the moment.

this is a great thread, i been having trouble lately with my cloning success rate so im kinda interested in trying out this method!! if i do ill post some pics.....not sure though, sounds iffy!

Pros:
- Can take a larger clone than normal because it's rooting while still attached to Momma.
- Alternative method for those that have a hard time cloning other ways.
- If one doesn't have a devoted indoor clone area, it allows you to keep a clone or few when otherwise it may not be easily done.

I'm sure there are other benefits, I just can't think of any more at the moment.

I can: If your legal limit numbers include rooted clones, you could probably make a case that the air-layered branches don't count until you actually cut them loose.

It might be tricky legal ground (as so much is), but plants have been known to grow roots from stem-level and if a large outdoor plant's branches come into extended contact with the ground they occasionally root - yet it is all one plant.

[EDIT: And it's not a new way, lol. Air layering (and ground layering) has been used for decades if not longer [EDIT#2: <WHOOPS!> centuries - Philip Miller described both air layering and several versions of ground layering in his 1754 Gardeners Dictionary]. I first read about it in a book older than I am.For an interesting look at some of the different types of plant propagation some of the dates that they were mentioned, see Techniques of Plant Propagation: A Historical Perspective, an 80-page document in .PDF format (link hosted at the University of KY). College agricultural/horticultural/etc. departments always have interesting and useful information (although do NOT expect it to be specific to cannabis, lol) and much of it is freely-available online.]

I like it. Too bad I don't have rock wool cubes or whatever

Back
Top Bottom