Advice on bud's that smell when broken up.

static123

Ok so I no this question has been asked so many times and i think i have read every post on the internet about it but I just wanted to go through a few things to just make sure.

I had 2 lovely plants CBD CM I cut down and hung them both in a cool dark room with a small amount of ventilation and extraction, air was moving in and out but not a massive amount and no fans on. I did this for 6 day I then cut each branch off and continued to dry in the same room for 2 more days. I then cut them down when the small branches snapped trimmed and popped them in the jars with the small RH readers you use for reptiles.

Each day I opened from a few hours and closed again the small RH readers were around 70 so I continued this until they was near the 65 and the left them for a week at a time. At one point they started to smell so dam nice but then all for a sudden the hay smell started, Is this normal as its been like this for 2 weeks or so, the odd thing is is that when I break a bud up to vape the smell of sweet yummy cannabis comes through and the taste is amazing.

Whats going on here Am I just drying / Curing to slow or have I messed up. This does seem to be the hardest part of the grow for me. The little RH readers are still reading 65 so I my mind I need to air them more to bring it down a bit, would you agree? Any advice pointers etc is always welcome.

Thankfully the buds are working well to ease my wife's MS so they work as intended but me being me would like to get perfection and do things right.

Many thanks in advanced as always :)

Some pic
2017-05-15_17_55_38.jpg

2017-02-22-PHOTO-00000658.jpg

When they were 70 you should have taken out of jars in my opinion. I use this chart.
420-magazine-mobile130605586.jpg

At the range it's currently in, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND purchasing some Boveda packs...62 to be exact. Will work wonders.

420-magazine-mobile814348089.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1883225172.jpg

Hi guys and thanks for the time to reply and help. With these packs I am guessing they bring the RH down to 62 and keep it there for the cure to start and thus hopefully get the smell back ? again thanks for the advice

Yup, Yup & Yup,...NP. If you cured for two weeks straight....at times dumping all your buds out and letting them sit for 15-30min, depending on how moist the buds are, then I would use the packs and pop just the top...once a week...or consumption pending

Myself I quit using the Boveda packs. Seemed they took smell away and it was never as good with them as without.

You rushed it a bit. This is what I do.

#1 Chop plant into sections of 6-8 buds per section leaving lots of stem.
#2 Remove all large fans and medium sized ones as well.
#3 I wash my bud. This does 2 things. First, it makes the final taste so much better and 2nd it slows down the initial dry (important).

Here is a link to bud washing...Bud Washing

4. Hang on the stems in a dark COOL room for 2-3 days with ZERO air movement. 60 degrees F is a good cool room but even cooler is better. I go 3 days if the room is under 60 degrees F.

5. After 2 days of number 4 I now circulate air very very little for 4-5 more days. Just a tiny amount of air entering and exiting the room..

6. Now we are on day 7-8. Now we turn a fan on a slow to medium speed but never directly on the bud but close to hitting them. The air is now circulating very well in the room with exhaust constantly pulling in fresh air.

Do number 6 until the stems ALL snap but don't break.

Then I cut the buds from the stems and let them rack dry for another day with the fan turned back off.

Then Jar them up and burp once a day for a week.

Back
Top Bottom