Aeroponics Grow 2009

Re: Playafly's Trial Run Aeroponics (1st time)

I had my aero-system running 24hrs a day, then I switched it to the Art-dne recycling timer that cost 80 buck. Now running it 1 min on/ 5 off. WOW! what an improvement. The roots started to build out and thicker, and the plants grew correspondingly. If you decide to run a aero system get one of these units!

I had my aero-system running 24hrs a day, then I switched it to the Art-dne recycling timer that cost 80 buck. Now running it 1 min on/ 5 off. WOW! what an improvement. The roots started to build out and thicker, and the plants grew correspondingly. If you decide to run a aero system get one of these units!

Thanks Base1210, I do ave the Art-Dne recylcling timer with it 1 minute on 5 minutes off.

Okay let me get yall caught up. I finally got off my but to catch up on my journal. Two Monday's ago (June 15th) I came home from work and realized some of the plants seem to be dying in the cloner. I'm like, "WTF." I realized after a certain period of time that the plants would absorb some of the water causing the water level in the container to go down causing the water pump to not be effective. The pump was barely able to pump water to the 360 degree sprayers making them not effective and not able to mist the roots. So I quickly added about 2 gallons of R/0 water to fixed the problem. Here are some pics before fixing the problem.
j18.jpg

j26.jpg

j32.jpg

I didn't plan on cloning for 23 days (5/30 to 6/22) but they were really growing since I started them as clones (with a 100% sucess rate). Here are some pics right before trasnfering them to the Aero/Nft system.
j43.jpg

j53.jpg

They grew pretty nice after 23 days in the cloner.
j63.jpg

Roots look crazy. If this Aero/Nft system doesn't work. I'm definetly going to keep the cloning system for my next 10 to 20 DWC plant journal.

Very nice looks like those things are of to a great start. Great job..

Okay here's the run down of the system. I got the system directly from Hightimes June 2009 issue. There was a article in there stating, "How to grow a pound of pot every 3 weeks." Of course that grabbed my attention. So I said, Why not try it out." If if doesn't work, I'll just got back to soil and dwc.

I will be building several more systems later depending on how it works and later adding Co2. My goal is for each plant to produce a liitle over 1 ounce (28 grams). Each aero/nft unit holds 14 plants. If I can produce this goal that would be a pound of bud. But I only expect maybe 1/3 of what I want. I'll be happy with that.

Here's the run down of the players to make it happen.

-----Using 10 gallons of R/0 Water
-----Dutch Masters Grow and Flower A&B (will buy more of the lineup later)
-----400 watt switchable light Sun System Yield Master II w/Sun System Harvest Pro Remote Ballast(current mh, flower will use hps) will add another 400 watt later
-----8" Centrifugal Fan by C.A.P 745 C.F.M.
-----No Holds Bar Light stand
-----PPm and Ph meter
-----Oscilating wall mounted fan
-----Humidfyer(set at 50 to 55%)
The Temps: Lights on 75 to 80 degrees, Off 70 to 75 degrees.
I transported the clones from the cloner to the Aero/Nft system 6/23.

I used the Dutch Masters 3/4 strengh calculator. Both containers had a ph of 5.7 and the ppm for Unit 1(left) was 690 and unit 2(right) was 670.
j162.jpg

For those of you who don't know how this system works. Basically there's a pump in the container that pumps water through the pcp pipes to 360 degree sprayers inside the fence post that mist/waters the roots of the plants. The aero/systems are at a slight downward angle that lets the water drain back into the rubbermaid container. The system is set to run continuously 1 minute on 5 minutes off 24/7.
j93.jpg

j82.jpg

My cloner is a 23 site unit but my aero/nft is a 14 site unit wich means if had several holes to cover up with gorilla tape. So I have a 28 site for both units combine with only 23 plant occupancy.

My 400 watt light is set up for 6 inch ducting and my exhaust fan is set up for 8 inch ducting so I had to get a 8 to 6 inch reducer for the light side. 8 inch ducting exits out to a window that cardboarded. The 6 inch ducting you see above is my plants in a grow tent that's in flowering stage (bag seeds, gigabud and barneys g13). I will need get some wood and nail it to the window because the guerilla tape keeps coming off the wall (any suggestions).
j142.jpg

j132.jpg

j152.jpg

Why do the pipes have to come up so high? To cool it down after going thru the pump?

No. The water sould be at a cool enough temp to pump directly in. I'm not sure what pipes you mean. But the pipes that are above are most likely to help support the plants when they grow bigger. There is just no where to stake and tie off with these setups that work from below. I use netting and yo-yo's. If you mean the pipes in the reservoir it is probably to raise the spray/mist to the vry top of the container in order to get the water to the roots. In my setup I used risers and have the pvc resting on the bottom. Either set up of that is fine.

No. The water sould be at a cool enough temp to pump directly in. I'm not sure what pipes you mean. But the pipes that are above are most likely to help support the plants when they grow bigger. There is just no where to stake and tie off with these setups that work from below. I use netting and yo-yo's. If you mean the pipes in the reservoir it is probably to raise the spray/mist to the vry top of the container in order to get the water to the roots. In my setup I used risers and have the pvc resting on the bottom. Either set up of that is fine.

C-Mopp wich pipes are you referring to? If you are referring to the pipes that are above and next to the plants they are for support the plants when they get bigger.
Base1210 is right. Base 1210 what exactly do you use yo-yo's and netting for?

Base 1210 what exactly do you use yo-yo's and netting for?

Well, first off I am restricted by height in my room. I use a grow lab tent that tops out at 6'7". I use the nets (very large holes) to hold the plants down a little and focus the plants energy on thick stocks that will support the flowers. I apply these when the plants reach 12-15 inches, right during the switch from 20/4 to 12/12. The second net is, will be, for not containment but support of heavy (crossing fingers) buds. Yo-yo's attached to the ceiling also support with recoiling action. These are not being used just yet. I'll take a few more pictures when the ladies are done sleeping.:grinjoint:

Wow, very, very nice. Looks like you have been busy. Great job on the aeroponics and good luck on the grow...

Wow, very, very nice. Looks like you have been busy. Great job on the aeroponics and good luck on the grow...

Yes Sonzor I have been busy trying to follow the how-to method on these units from "Hight Times."

Great setup! You'll love Aero!

Thanks Cigo. 420fied I hope this works because I put to much effort in building these units from scratch. I'm constantly checking my sprayers to make sure they are spraying at 100% and checking to make sure no roots are clogging them as well.

6/30 starts the second week of the clones in the units. I changed the resovoir by using a shop vac to drain the water. I upped the dose for the second week following the DM's nutrient calculator. 114ml of Grow A & B. Unit one's ph 5.8 and ppm 800. Unit two's ph 5.7 and ppm 880. I have been slacking with monitoring the ph in the units. Before I changed out the water the ph climbed to 6.1. I'll monitor better this time and adjust the ph when needed. Plants are looking good. I'll take some pics later on. My other plants in my tent has been taking up my time but hey I enjoy doing this. See yall next time and thanks for dropping by.

Aerocloners are awesome and you did a fine job. One hint I found works well to get roots all up and down your stem, take your razor and strip off some of the outer layer on the stem. You will get a stem that has roots coming out of the entire length instead of just at the end.

AERO ROCKS!!:ganjamon:

Thanks Cigo. 420fied I hope this works because I put to much effort in building these units from scratch. I'm constantly checking my sprayers to make sure they are spraying at 100% and checking to make sure no roots are clogging them as well.

That's what you need to do with Aero bro. Stay on top of it because if things go bad it can get ugly in a hurry (hose pops loose, pump dies, etc)

I have no doubt that you'll stay on top of things. Your unit is solid and I hope you get all you expect and more.

I'm no expert but I will help in any way that I can.

Back
Top Bottom