AK Greenlovers Garden Featuring - 2 x 400 XTE 5W LED Lights - Top Genetics!

Hey mate. Looking amazing. I'm curious about the defoliating you do in veg. Does it involve clearing out a lot of the undergrowth, which you are going to have to clear out sooner or later anyway? Or taking off fan leaves as well for more light distribution in the top half? My defol experiment didn't go so well so far- will post on the defol thread at some point. Next time I'll do more defol during veg and see how that works out.

During veg we defol about a week before the flip. We take every single fan leaf that has a developed enough off shoot. Meaning the shoots cluster of leaves is at least 1/2" long and looks like a leaf. Usually this means keeping the top two to three fans and taking every other fan as those off shoots are usually developed enough. To ensure they develop enough we do a ton of LST tying each branch down to only a few inches above the soil. Those off shoots get maximum light and develop pretty quickly.

A week before flip we reap all fans that make the requirements per their off shoots. Then reap every single branch that wont make the screen from flip and all of the undergrowth as well. This is usually one of the most brutal reaps and gets them used to the stress of doing it before the flip. It promotes maximum air flow as well as cuts off the wasted energy of trying to develop ultra low branches or branches that are not in optimal light. That undergrowth served it purpose early on in developing your plant but before you flip you want the majority of that stuff gone. Then when you do defols at a scheduled time during flower your keeping the stress to a minimum by not having to do undergrowth at the same time.

Also if you want to boost growth on future grows check out early on how I layer the pots as well as what types of soil we use. I give a lot of credit to how good our girls do to our pots and how we do the soil and growstone layers to promote maximum root growth. It's not like we spend bazillions on special ferts or anything. We use Fox Farms which is honestly a pretty basic entry level easy to obtain fert regiment. The only thing we do differently there is add cal mag plus and molasses to feed and waters. The XTE lights are also pretty amazing. They have the spectrum really dialed in for maximum leaf and flower growth.

Basically during veg LST is your biggest friend. Tie everything down then tie all the off shoots down as they develop. It's key to keep an even top with all leaves and branches getting equal light. Doing this creates an ultra bushy but short plant that didn't require topping, fimming or splitting the branches energy to much. Personally I like to LST more then top or fim as the side branches it creates are to close together for my style of doing things. I also get the same effect without having to trim the top which is something I always love to keep. Once that undergrowth serves it's purpose give it that axe and make sure that almost all of that axe happens during veg. Keep it to a minimum by having it taken care of before flower.

Hope this helps. :ciao:

Day 56 of Flower Update!

Only 7 more days until harvest! The colas are all swelling daily. Some are starting to lean over due to the weight on the little branches. They received their last feed two days ago. Tomorrow they will receive a huge dose of molasses in the morning at 3 tablespoons per gallon. We plan on running 4 gallon through each plant. Two days after that they will all be flushed with 10 gallons of water each. We also plan on giving them 48 hours of darkness before harvest. So they only have 5 more days of light left!

Seriously I wish you all had smellavision. These girls smell amazing! :circle-of-love:

It's a shame we are saying goodbye to Lucy after all these years. This will be our final grow with this strain. Next time we plant seeds we will be running Heavy Weight Fruit Punch and DR. Krippling Incredible Bulk. I imagine we wont need to plant seeds until the fall but keep your eyes pealed for more journals down the line.

20150501_161521.jpg

Day 56 of Flower Update!

Only 7 more days until harvest! The colas are all swelling daily. Some are starting to lean over due to the weight on the little branches. They received their last feed two days ago. Tomorrow they will receive a huge dose of molasses in the morning at 3 tablespoons per gallon. We plan on running 4 gallon through each plant. Two days after that they will all be flushed with 10 gallons of water each. We also plan on giving them 48 hours of darkness before harvest. So they only have 5 more days of light left!

Seriously I wish you all had smellavision. These girls smell amazing! :circle-of-love:

It's a shame we are saying goodbye to Lucy after all these years. This will be our final grow with this strain. Next time we plant seeds we will be running Heavy Weight Fruit Punch and DR. Krippling Incredible Bulk. I imagine we wont need to plant seeds until the fall but keep your eyes pealed for more journals down the line.

20150501_161521.jpg

Great job, AK. Great journal, awesome work, really inspiring.

:thumb:

Day 63 Harvest Update!

So harvest day happened yesterday. It took us almost 16 hours total to unweave, trim and hang. Seriously it was like an episode of groundhogs day. We both didn't think it was ever going to end hehe. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment. I'll report back with total dry weight in about 7 days.

20150507_135611.jpg

20150507_135731.jpg

20150507_135806.jpg

20150507_135853.jpg

20150507_151947.jpg

20150508_075819.jpg

20150508_075823.jpg

Day 63 Harvest Update!

So harvest day happened yesterday. It took us almost 16 hours total to unweave, trim and hang. Seriously it was like an episode of groundhogs day. We both didn't think it was ever going to end hehe. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment. I'll report back with total dry weight in about 7 days.

20150507_135611.jpg

20150507_135731.jpg

20150507_135806.jpg

20150507_135853.jpg

20150507_151947.jpg

20150508_075819.jpg

20150508_075823.jpg

They go from above the net, to hanging below! Great job, enjoy the harvest!!

I decided to poke my head into the tent today to see how things were going with the cure. To my surprise they are drying much faster than I expected. I'm guessing that 8" exhaust fan is just sucking that air through the tent really quickly enhancing the dry. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that as I like to do a nice slow week long cure for flavor. If it dries 2 or 3 days earlier do you think it's going to effect taste that much? We are used to really smooth smoke with great flavors. I'm slightly concerned it might be a little harsh due to a quicker than expected dry. Does anyone have any past experience with this? If so I would love to hear from you.

Somewhere around two lbs. :yahoo: My first thought was three,, but, what do I know!! :rofl:

I'm very happy for you. Sweet grow front to back! Shame more folks haven't noticed this grow. I'll follow your grows from here on out. :cheer:

What's my gift?

Are you in Alaska?

30 quart jarsOMFG:party:

Sorry everyone been slammed so hard at work. Let me take some pictures as they have cured in the jars nicely. I had to add a little orange peel to bring them back a little as all of the flowers turned out way to dry. Over all harvest was 978.05 grams or 34.5 ozs. We have been guilty of smoking two of those jars already LOL!! Really smooth and good heady smoke. It also takes that edge off when in pain. It really helps me daily being able to cope with my back and sore joints after work.

I'll get some pics asap and then wrap up this thread and get it moved to the completed section. We wont need to grow for a while but when we do I'll post another journal. Thanks everyone for following us on this journey.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hey everyone!

Sorry I missed my last update a few months back. I got pretty sick then got pneumonia. I am doing much better now so I wanted to take just a few moments to post a smoke report. Lucy has been sitting in jars for two months now. Her leaves have turned a nice golden color. When you open the jar and take a big whiff you get a hint of fruit citrus smell a tiny bit of earthy undertones. Likely due to the extended jarring time period. The smoke itself is really smooth. You get a nice sweet taste on the first puff. After a few seconds the tingles set in along with the ear ringing. A few more puffs and its a nice body stone with a really up swing to your mood. My lady gets really chatty and loves to talk / laugh when she partakes. Lucy no matter how much is smoked wont couch lock but you still get that nice body high to go along with it. We cant smoke more than a bowl and we are done. If you're looking for a good energizing slightly happy with a body buzz this is the stuff for you. I also use this for pain as it helps take the edge off without having to worry about passing out or eating everything in the kitchen.

Here are a few photos of one of the jars.

20150812_162910.jpg

20150812_162602.jpg

20150812_162556.jpg

Anyways this is or was my wifes favorite strain for a few years now. Once we run out we are out for good which is bitter sweet honestly. I'm really going to miss this smoke as it has been one of the very best to grow and smoke with an amazing yield. She responds very well to defoliation and SCROG style grows. If you want top shelf with a great yield Lucy is the girl for you!

Currently we have a few new strains going right now. I'm going to try out Incredible Bulk and also Heavy weight fruit punch. If you like I can document that grow as it progresses.

Thank you everyone for following this grow. I'm very sorry I couldn't update much sooner. :thanks:

Welcome back AK I am very interested in your next grow & am looking forward to your next journal. You have made a great difference in my grows and I am very great full you took the time to produce such a great journal & grow & training for all of us it was a pleasure to follow and I'm sure many have benefited from your experience I know I sure have.

Back
Top Bottom