An Imperfect Grow Part 2

Mat1111

Ok so after my last failed attempt at an outdoor grow in a north facing garden, I've decided to buy a small 2x2 grow tent and give it a proper go.

1x Northern Lights Auto - Dr Ray
1x Super Lemon Haze CBD Auto - The Greenhouse Company

Thanks to @Azimuth 's pointing me towards @Emilya 's thread I now have a rough idea about watering. Unfortunately the starter pots I had available yesterday are a bit smaller than a solo cup so I imagine I'll be transporting a bit sooner.

I planted my seeds last night and woke up to a couple of seedlings popping their head up.

IMG_5803.JPG

The seedlings sprouting so quickly took me by surprise. I let them have the day on a windowsill then quickly threw up the tent and light. I still need to buy a fan, humidifier and Reverse Osmosis system to keep the humidifier going.

My environment is totally out of whack right now. It'll be another 12 hours until I can visit the store

Temp is 82
Humidity 35
VPD 2.28

IMG_5805.JPG

I can't remember where I read the tip but hanging a soaking wet towel inside the tent has increased the humidity by 20%. Hopefully that should at be ok until I can pick up the rest of the gear.

Day 1 (ish)

78 Temp
58 Humidity
1.32 VPD

Lights - 18hr cycle

150PPFD
DLI 9.7

I need to do some more research on PPFD and DLI ranges. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information!

@Jon can give you the skinny on that.
PPFD measures the amount of PAR that actually arrives at the plant, or as a scientist might say: "the number of photosynthetically active photons that fall on a given surface each second". PPFD is a 'spot' measurement of a specific location on your plant canopy, and it is measured in micromoles per square meter per second

DLI (Daily Light Integral) for Cannabis cultivation in a greenhouse.

PPFD measures the amount of PAR that actually arrives at the plant, or as a scientist might say: "the number of photosynthetically active photons that fall on a given surface each second". PPFD is a 'spot' measurement of a specific location on your plant canopy, and it is measured in micromoles per square meter per second

DLI (Daily Light Integral) for Cannabis cultivation in a greenhouse.

Thanks mate! I've got a rough idea, just need to it dialled in now

Day 2

Wet towel trick is still doing the job mostly. I'm struggling to get the VPD down without the temperature rocketing. Without a humidifier (ordered, arriving this week) the only way to get the VPD down is to increase the temperature past 80F.

These are my ranges for the day

76 - 80F Temp
61 - 75% Humidity
0.5 - 1.3kPa VPD

Lights are moving to middle of range for seedlings. The plan is to crank PPFD very quickly once my environment is sorted.

18hr cycle
200 PPFD
DLI 13 Mol

Got some nutrients today - Rhizotonic Root Stim, BioBizz Grow and Bloom and some Magnesium for my rock solid water. Unfortunately I don't have an accurate enough scale to measure the magnesium for my sprayer so Canna Mono Mag has been ordered!

IMG_5810.JPG

I also got a godawful fan that is way too noisy. It's going straight in the bin to be replaced by this -

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 23.41.58.png

One of my little seeds got a bit trapped this morning.

IMG_5812.JPG

Sorted with a sharp knife

IMG_5815.JPG
Good work, I'm all thumbs at that task.
Killed a few in my day. :rofl:
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Week 1 will officially start on Monday so I don't get confused! I'll be following a fairly high DLI light schedule loosely based on information I've cobbled together from various sources (shoutout @Delps8 ).

I'll be following @Emilya watering guide at half volume thanks to buying smaller pots 😤. I might need to buy a scale to help with general "when to water questions" but that is for later.

I'm waiting on a humidifier which I'm hoping will help with dialling in my environment. I can see some hot days coming up.

Suggestions are very welcome!

Week 1 Plan

Watering
- 5 sprays morning, 5 sprays evening. Rhizotonic root stim at recommended dose.

Light - 200ppfd, 18/6, DLI 13

Environment - Aiming for 70% RH and a VPD between 0.8-1kPa.

Day 1 update -

PPFD 200, DLI 13, 18/6

Spraying twice per day with Rhizotonic mixed in.

Seedlings seem to be doing ok. One looks a bit strange but hopefully it'll stretch out fully overnight. I have hard water and a Calcium/Magnesium imbalance. I'm planning on correcting this with Magnesium Mono going foward. I'm also going to start letting the chlorine evaporate off first.

Average VPD is more like 1.1 kPa which is a little out of range but not massively. The main thing I'm missing is the humidifier and the RO water to go in it!

IMG_5836.JPG

Back
Top Bottom