5 x Auto - Anesthesia - Coco - 600W

Re: 5x Auto - Anesthesia / Coco / 600W

Soup - what BlinKey says is good. I've used coco and it works. The coco specific nutes are good. They buffer pH somehow, and it always seems to turn out. The only issue I had with coco was the cal/mag thing. For whatever reason, the coco I was using just kept eating all the cal/mag out of my nutes. I ended up having to mix up a second gallon jug of Epsom salts with cal/mag added to it, and using this a watering compound every three days. I am not sure why this was happening, but to me it was a colossal pain in the butt. It seemed like I was forever stressing my girl. (Same strain in perlite.... no problems. Just nute her and watch her grow.) It wasn't really a big deal, but after not having to do it with perlite, I guess I got spoiled.

Hey blinkey, Yeah i keep hearing people say coco is easy and all that, and im sure it is when you know what your doing lol. My last coco grow i thought it was like soil so i watered like soil lol, i do like the fact you have to water daily sometimes and feed allot more, but my lack of PH control is causing loads of issues.

Wierdly enough ive seen a post about those nutes you mention, i feel like it might be from your journal actually. But yeah i googled them a day or so ago and i think my next grow i might use them. So the nutes lower the ph of your water automatically? Without Phdown or Up?

Wierdly enough ive seen a post about those nutes you mention, i feel like it might be from your journal actually. But yeah i googled them a day or so ago and i think my next grow i might use them. So the nutes lower the ph of your water automatically? Without Phdown or Up?

Well more than that!!! (I have taken extensive chem classes but am in now way a chemist) I started using these nutes about 1.5-2 years back and at that time I was so used to testing ph that what the bottle said meant nothing, so I continued to test and after some time got sick of testing because I got the same results all the time.
I setup a test to ease my mind on the subject. I mixed a batch of nutes (2 Lt) and surely the ph was 5.8, added a bit of ph up and more until I got to about 8.5. Waited about 30 minutes and surely the ph was once again 5.8. Did the same test with ph down, same results.

these nutes have acidic and alkaline compounds inside them but are bonded to XXX (The X portion is their proprietary formula) and that X makes them inactive and useless as they are. At the same time there is a XXX killer so say in the nutes that stays still at optimum ph levels. But if the ph level is up or down these start getting excited and attack the bond on the acidic or alkaline compound (whatever it needs) once it breaks the bond between the compound and XXX the acidic or alkaline compound is released untill the ph is back to optimum levels thus the bond killer is not excited anymore and is still once again.

So in conclusion they just keep ph off your mind. I am in now way saying that their nutes are good, bad, sufficient or insufficient I am just advocating that the ph part works wonders. I assume that all auto ph stabilizing products do the same (just tried one).

So you might want to try something like this on your grow or future grows!!! Cheers :peace:

Wow i never knew such stuff existed, ill be looking into it for sure, im low on money at the min though so for this grow ill have to put up with Ph down, but wont have it for a few days yet.. Should be ok hopefully, buds are still moving along and 2 maybe 3 of the 5 autos seem to have avoided the yellowing.

Ill actually get round to uploading some pics tommorow, got high and lazy tonight instaid lol. Thanks again for advice.

Soup - what BlinKey says is good. I've used coco and it works. The coco specific nutes are good. They buffer pH somehow, and it always seems to turn out. The only issue I had with coco was the cal/mag thing. For whatever reason, the coco I was using just kept eating all the cal/mag out of my nutes. I ended up having to mix up a second gallon jug of Epsom salts with cal/mag added to it, and using this a watering compound every three days. I am not sure why this was happening, but to me it was a colossal pain in the butt. It seemed like I was forever stressing my girl. (Same strain in perlite.... no problems. Just nute her and watch her grow.) It wasn't really a big deal, but after not having to do it with perlite, I guess I got spoiled.

Yeah man calmag im hoping to get soon also, ive always wanted it, ive got epsom salts but i think thats just magnesium not calcium. My nute though are IONIC coco and i have heard bad things about them since getting them ages ago so not sure if they are great, but either way when i mix some water and nutes it stays at around 7Ph maybe higher.

Need my delivery to come through, hopefully stable Ph and some calmag will solve my problems, if not i know a good bridge that will lol

Hey all, back for another picture update.

Day 40 Since Sprouting.

So the 5 auto's are doing quite well, as i mentioned i am having a couple of issues, possible mag/cal maybe even iron as there is the odd tiny spot of necrosis on some of the leaves (very rarely though). Anyway the yellowing made me panick as in my last coco grow i had a similar thing in early flower, ended up losing 80% of leaves.

Im 90% sure its all down to way too high PH for too long, got some Ph down , Ph meter and calmag ordered and on route :). Its worth mentioning also that 3 of the 5 auto's seem to be fine and have avoided the yellowing.

First up is the most affected auto, (has allot of large fan leaves even new ones starting to yellow, currently not full yellow but a strange lime green and slightly patchy). Also realised only today that this plant only has strange cut makrs in some of the fan leaves, like its been eaten by something, but no signs of bugs or anything like that.. Any ideas..?

IMG_235812.JPG
IMG_23599.JPG
IMG_236012.JPG
IMG_236110.JPG

IMG_23629.JPG

This auto is doing great, nice and green leaves etc. and allot of bud sites!..

IMG_23637.JPG
IMG_236412.JPG
IMG_236510.JPG
IMG_23669.JPG

Here is another auto which is doing well, it has a few strange yellow burn like bits on a couple of fan leaves, but its had these marks for over a week and hasnt gotten any worse, so pretty sure its fine now..

IMG_236710.JPG
IMG_236814.JPG
IMG_236913.JPG
IMG_237012.JPG

And here is number 4 (the front one in the first picture). It has the lime green early yellowing on a very small proportion of the plant, most of it is fine and healthy and i think it will also survive without any issues, the buds on this one are the most progressed too, also very tall, over 4ft now i think.

IMG_237112.JPG
IMG_237212.JPG
IMG_237418.JPG
IMG_237516.JPG

And here is the last auto, like the first one it has the yellowing/purple stems issue, its doing ok but is on the way to doing badly lol.

IMG_237615.JPG
IMG_237717.JPG
IMG_237812.JPG
IMG_237912.JPG

And thats all guys n gals, sorry about the HPS lighting making the pics rubbish, my next pics i will take the plants to another room for better lighting. As for feeding, i have been giving them full strength bloom (IONIC coco), and veg IONIC to the photo plant. Im planning on giving the photo plant to a friend tommorow though as i want more room in the grow box, may also get rid of one of the auto's, whichever one is most affected by the PH issues probably.

Will have my Ph equipment in a few days so will post another update then :). Hope everyone is ok!

;) :ciao:

Hey Soup cant make much out of the pictures but they dont look all that bad. I assume ph problems are your largest demon! fixing that should make the world of difference. But ph being too low or high for prolonged periods (1-2 months) can have adverse effects that will not get better even if you fix the problem. I have my fingers crossed for ya!

Looking good, Soup. Should be a nice harvest if things keep up. It looks to me, and I am the worst coco grower to comment, that you have two problems you already know about. The first is pH. Have to get that under control. The second is the calcium issue. Once you get the pH fixed, the calcium may swing around, but you may still need to add a cal/mag supplement. In the mean time, you could try to foliar feed with a calcium/Epsom salt/water mixture (seems to me that calcium availability is at a slightly higher pH, don't have a chart in front of me at the moment). This may help if it is your coco that is taking the ca/mg away from the plants. As usual, listen to better coco growers than me, all mine were dicey at best.

Well it sounds like you know more than me so it all helps allot, cheers!. Yeah im thinking basically the same thing, although i dont know of any calcium sources that arent calmag, is there any you know of?

Also what you said about the PH being corrected might sort out the calmag issues makes me think i should wait for a few days after correcting the PH before giving them any calmag? Or should i just go for it maybe on the second PH'd watering?

Most reputable fert companies have some sort of cal/mag supplement. I use GH CaliMagic, just cause it was there. Comes in a small bottle, cost me $5. (cheap works for me)

You could wait for your pH to be corrected, but you will still probably need to supplement. The bonus of foliar feeding is that it is almost instant. (Not that the symptoms go away, but that the plant gets what it needs right away, as opposed to going through the root system, etc.) I don't know if the leaf damage ever goes away. I usually wait a couple or three days and then just trim off the real ugly leaves.

But like I've said many times, if anyone else chimes in, you would probably be better off listening to them!

Cool cheers for the info.

I've got a couple of pics to upload, had to cut one of the auto's down due to space issues. Felt really wrong cutting down a plant whilst its budding, hard to do haha. But i picked the one with the majority of the yellowing and issues, and one of the smallest. Anyways, i looked at the rootball and thought it looked a bit overly rooted, maybe root bound? But their very white healthy roots so i hope not, as an auto its not advised to transplant :(

What do you all think?
IMG_238812.JPG

And here is a couple pics of the sad slaughter of an innocent plant..

IMG_238610.JPG
IMG_238111.JPG
IMG_238315.JPG
IMG_238513.JPG

It has a super thick stem :) thicker than any other plants ive done, which i didnt expect with an auto :O. Anyway cya later chaps and chapettes

Having to cut down a plant is always a shame :( but things happen. Those roots look very healthy but my .02's, def going towards root bound if not yet there.

Ah damn, thought that might be the case, still got about another 5/6 weeks of flower left too! Do you think this would work.. given that they are auto's and shouldnt be transplanted..

The pots have a spare maybe 2 or 3 inches in them so if i lift the plants then fill the bottom with more coco and plop them back ontop.. do you think that would be ok?

Cheers greg :)

I didnt know that autos needed so much room, and why the hell are they so big lol. I bought them because i thought they would be small and bushy and not take up much room, never expected the pots to be an issue really. Arent plants meant to figure out their life span fairly early by gauging the growth room with the taproot?

Not sure where i heard that, so could be rubbish lol.

Hey Soup - they were close to finishing, and there was still a bit of room left in that rootball. Not saying that they weren't bound up, but I've seen plants that were way worse than that go full term. I would definitely go with a bigger pot next time. I just hope my 10 litre are big enough, now that I've seen yours.

Hey Soup - they were close to finishing, and there was still a bit of room left in that rootball. Not saying that they weren't bound up, but I've seen plants that were way worse than that go full term. I would definitely go with a bigger pot next time. I just hope my 10 litre are big enough, now that I've seen yours.

Oh good, i have no reference so its hard to tell for me. Hopefully ill be ok then, im hoping 5 weeks left and that budding doesnt add as much roots to the ball as vegging does lol! Either way im still going to add a few inches of coco to the bottom of the pots and hope that doesnt disrupt them too much. Heres hoping.

Will do it tmoz so will probs have some pics then FYI.

Soup I do have an idea, but more experienced auto growers should jump in.

1. Lighting periods do not effect autos as it goes thru its life cycle no matter the lighting.
  2. So if you were to give 24 hr of light to an auto in flower it will not revert to veg.
  3. That in mind roots really progress in your dark period.
  4. At 5 hours plus dark your plant gives much better attention to its roots, as a 5 hour minimum is required for this.
So combining this info info you can keep your light cycle 18/6 or pref more so that the plant does not enough time to really work on its roots, thus in a way stunting root growth but keeping your girl live and happy.

But again this is my straight logic, need some experience to comment on this :)

Back
Top Bottom