LordCaliban's 2nd Grow - Simple LED - Indoor Attic - Auto Anesthesia - 2016

LordCaliban

Heya Community, long time no post! I joined a few years ago and you all helped me through my first random bag seed CFL grow that went really well. I wanted to continue, but life kinda got in the way. Relatives moving in, had a baby, etc but now I'm back. Put a grow tent in my attic hoping to make good use of the spring temps before it gets too hot. I'm trying to keep this very a very simple grow and I'll keep this short, info is below and can't wait to get back to staying back up on these forums with you guys (and gals)!!

LordCaliban's 2nd Grow - Simple LED Indoor Attic Auto Anesthesia 2016

Strain: Pyramid Seeds Auto-Anesthesia
Medium: Fox Farms Ocean Floor + 20% Perlite
Container: 5 Gallon Smart Pot
Light Source: TopLEDGrowLight 48x3w LED Reflector

Started with my Pyramid Seeds Auto-Anesthesia. I picked this because of it's supposed resiliency to temps, etc and it seemd almost idiot proof and can put me on my ass when it's done. I tried this a few months ago with a seed I purchased 2 years ago, and it wouldn't take. Tried soil, then soaked in water, then tried paper towel but just wouldn't crack. Ordered these fresh and decided to try the paper towel/Ziploc bag method and it worked great. Placed in damp paper towel, put in Ziploc bag and placed on my DirecTV box which kept it nice and warm. Left it in for a day too long so I got a nice long taproot as you can see but this was just after 2 and half days!

MARCH 21st:

03-25-2016.jpg

03-25-2016_2_Large_.jpg

03-24-2016_Large_.JPG

MARCH 24th:

I used a chopstick to make a hole in the soil in the smart pot, used tweezers to carefully place the seed taproot down into the hole and loosely covered. After a couple days I could see two small leaves about to emerge from the soil, and then I had to leave for a few day vacation. Got back and we are currently at the last pic with a couple nice starter leaves!!

03-24-2016_2_Large_.jpg

04-03-2016_Large_.jpg

UPDATE: She's been growing kinda slow, but this is my first Autoflower. The last couple days I've seen a lot more growth, I'm guessing due to the leaves getting bigger and more thus more photosynthesis. I lowered my LED down a little closer too and only water when the first 4 inches of soil were really dry (though to keep humidity up, I give a light foliar spray each day).

Temps in my attic have been more stable the last few days as well, not too hot or too cold though the tent does a good job of keeping the heat in when needed and I open up all the vents when its hotter out. She's got a nice dark green colour to her and the last few sets of leaves are now showing five fingers.

04-16-20161.jpg

Happy 4/20 everyone!! Trying not to overpost but definitely had to make an update on today. She's still short but gaining a new set everyday now it seems. Temps in the tent vary from 55 to 100 with humidity 25% to 50%. She seems pretty resilient to the swings and high temps and there is a fan constantly blowing on her and I give a foliar spray of the same water I use to water her. So far no complaints, the leaves are green, healthy and no real curling or yellowing. I did switch to a 20/4 light cycle last week over the 16/8, she seems to be growing faster but that could be coincidence. Getting a 4" inline probably 90CFM to try and cycle air better, might be able to drop it a few degrees.

So far way different from my last grow. Had a fan on it from the start, so the stalk is thickening daily, and with light being closer there has been no stretch.

04-20-2016.jpg

I might try some very light LST, but I'm really trying to keep this one as simple as possible to kinda see how it goes with the bare minimum. My financial situation isn't the greatest right now, though I can swing $25 for an inline fan, and I might get some nutes (My bag of GH nutes from last grow got rock hard, so I threw it out). Even if she doesn't produce too much, she'll still make enough to last a while for the wife and I and if this grow goes decent then I know I can make probably start cycling autos (May attempt two plants in 3 gal next round).

Weekly Update: DAY 38 (If counting from Seed Cracking)

Lots of growth in the last 7 days. Temps in the tent can reach a little over 100 just before her dark 4 hour period but so far nice healthy dark green leaves, very light pleasant earthy/leafy aroma (I know its early). I only water when its very dry the first few inches, the soil with the perlite is very light so I know them roots are stretching to the bottom for that water, haven't seen any drooping. I also have a spray bottle with room temp water I give her a little all over spray and underspray with usually once a day. Still sticking with keeping it simple, no nutes or anything yet but I might get some sort of booster for when she starts to flower, just need to find something in my budget.

04-27-2016.jpg

;)
04-27-2016_2_.jpg

WEEKLY UPDATE: DAY 45

On day 39 I was unable to go check on my girl before lights out and we had a record heat that day. Checked on her the next day and I had some dried out and some curly leaves and dry soil. Hydrated right away, and gave a spray, seems to have recovered. Some yellowing on a couple leaves and snipped a few tips but the new growth and big leaves still look healthy. Will be attempting to divert some A/C into the bottom of the tent and get an inline fan in the next few days to keep temps better (especially for next grow if it works).

Next good news, PISTILS!! Checked on her yesterday to give her the cool down spray before lights out and the hot part of the day and there's plenty of pistils up and down now. Over a foot tall now too!

05-05-2016_2_.jpg
05-05-2016_3_.jpg
05-05-2016.jpg

Weekly Update: Day 52

Temps were getting nutso hot in there but I finally managed to get a decent solution going. Bought some pool hose and a pvc corner joint, duct taped it together made small hole in one of the A/C ducts and sealed it up, now I have the cold air coming in the bottom of the tent. Also bought a cheap 6" Duct Booster fan mounted at the top. It's rated 290 CFM, and I know it's not a fancy Inline but it seems to be working. I do want a smaller tent though, might get a 2'x2'x5' when I can afford it.

As for my girl, she's a shorty and finally stopped growing it seems. Haven't seen any vertical height differences in a few days and the pistils are getting more and longer at the top and throughout. Just got some tiger bloom in and I put a 1/2 tsp in a gallon of my water and fed her last night so we'll see how she responds. Temps seem to be maxing now at 90 and spending more time in the high 70s and 80s instead of the well over 100 I'd hit a few times (though I sprayed with some cold water and the fan is on her, she's very resilient but I think it stunted growth). I also raised the lights some too and took off the chains and put back the original hangers that came with it (not in pic) now that I have those adjustable thingies.

05-12-2016_2_.jpg

05-12-2016.jpg

05-12-2016_4_.jpg

05-12-2016_3_.jpg

I became a stay at home Daddy about 6 months ago so my "fun" money has dwindled quite a bit, so I've actually not used any nutes up until yesterday when my Tiger Bloom came in. Based on my previous grow, I had great success with minimal nutes using the FF Ocean Floor soil and for this grow I added in about 20% perlite so it's a much lighter medium. This is a really keep it simple grow. Never checked PH before, I dechlorinate my tap water by boiling and leaving out open for at least a day. I know my yields I'm sure could get better if I invested more, but for personal use and now that I have a launch box to vape a little goes a long way.

Also with it being a "stealth" grow it's not as easy to check on frequently, I typically get to check just before lights out which is 2:30pm to 6:30pm for me (lights out at the hottest part of the day to keep temps down).

Week 8 Update:

She's had some Tiger Bloom now for 2 feedings. First was 1/2 tsp till that Gallon Jug was gone, next was 1tsp and I finished that jug a couple days ago and so far I've seen a little more vertical growth and the pistils are getting bigger. No real bud swelling yet, I'm thinking at least 3 more weeks but we'll see. Going for a 1.5 tsp of Tiger Bloom in the next feeding, so far no adverse effects. I've had great temps the past week with the tent staying in the 70s and 80s but it's supposed to be hotter this week.

05-20-2016.jpg

:morenutes:
05-20-2016_2_.jpg

looking good. what do you usually yield with the 48x3w led grow light?

Well this is only my 2nd grow and first Auto so this will be the baseline as Auto's are all I plan to grow now (maybe a few a year). The link in my sig to my first grow you can check out the shots of what I ended up getting. I started that grow with CFL's and ended the last half with the Reflector LED. I ended up with almost 3 full mason jars full, and it was pretty good smoke too (a little dry, my fault but amazing in my Magic Flight Launch Box).

I think my counting was off last time but Week 10 will be starting at the end of the week I believe. Anyways, not much to report but she's looking okay, buds got a touch bigger but haven't really swollen yet and I'm hoping they do so I don't end up with a bunch of popcorn. Just started to get a little frosting on top now which is a good sign, I'm thinking 3 more weeks maybe 4 but we will see how well she does.

05-28-2016_3_.JPG

:green_heart:
05-28-2016.JPG

looking good. what do you usually yield with the 48x3w led grow light?

They cover an auto plant no problem, I love my reflectors. It's made for Small grow setup and it works like a charm. Sorry for stepping, couldn't help but say how much I like them.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Back
Top Bottom