Any Aussie growers out there able to help with Fungus Gnats?

Hairy Maclary

420 Member
Hey everyone I have a bit of a straight forward question about fungus gnats that has a bit of a strange twist too it. So simply put I have fungus gnats in a indoor grow, and have so for a few weeks now. My simple question is how best to treat them (given that my plants are about 2-3 weeks into flowering)? But here is the funny thing about the question, to date there seems to be no detriment to my plants what-so-ever. I have done a lot of reading on the subject and understand about the effect they CAN have on plants with regards to the larvae in the soil, and by all accounts can’t help but feel there is something negative that should come of them being there, but aside from the adults flying around, you wouldn’t know they were there AT ALL. So given this, and the fact that I am a couple of weeks into flower, is this something I should deal with? And if so what would be the best way. My eternal thanks as always to you all...

since you are in flower & without using chemicals here’s what we do - Fan at soil line to keep air moving if they can’t land they can’t lay eggs, same for above canopy keep air moving, yellow sticky cards - pests are attracted to the color yellow and get stuck on the adhesive, mosquito dunks broken up added to soil, mosquito dunks added to water bucket.

I will shout out for @Ossi Ossi who is from Queensland - he may know what’s available since our US based products are not the same as what you have

they can live alright with a few right at the end, but two weeks in is way too early to not lose something.

a big flush with a pile of h202 will help halt the larvae. if you don't get them it just keeps going.

at two wks you can hang a no-pest strip or hotshot in the grow space to decimate the fliers. run it it for a couple wks then pull it. it'll help break the life cycle.

they are poor fliers so wind messes them up

and yellow cards. good luck. :)

I have just defeated a bad infestation of them. I had them everywhere, bloom and veg and mothers... and I too had ignored them, seeing little detriment to them being there except for being annoying. Lately, I lost almost an entire start of 15 plants due to the little gifts from hell and I determined to get rid of them forever. I will not take another plant into bloom with this problem because although I am growing some great pot... I know I can do better... and I know the bugs have had a large part to do with the troubles I have had.

So I went after them in 4 directions. I have let the bloom room go... those plants will finish out over the next few weeks and then I am done in there. The room will be sterilized and never again will one of these bugs move back in there, if I have anything to do with it.

In the veg and mother rooms though, I went to war. First I went after the fliers, with a hot shot pest strip in each room. Along with that I hung a yellow sticky card in each room too. The fliers started dropping like black snow onto the floor and the grow tables.

Then I went after the eggs with mosquito bits by shaking them onto the surface and watering them in. In my evil mind I pictured bug eggs, steaming and exploding under the surface due to that chemical being released into the soil.

Next were the larvae themselves. One of our forum sponsors sells beneficial bugs. Nematodes. I applied them where the infestation was worse and where it was taking out my new seedlings at an alarming rate. Nematodes eat the larvae... apparently at a maniacal rate.

Boom!
The bugs are gone. Wiped out. There are carcasses everywhere, but... 6 of my new plants survived. Grows will now be bug free. They say you can defeat these pests by breaking their lifecycle at any of those 3 points. I went insane on them. They will do that to you if you let them get out of hand. Don't let them get out of hand. Sterilize all soil coming into your grow from an outside source.

I have just defeated a bad infestation of them. I had them everywhere, bloom and veg and mothers... and I too had ignored them, seeing little detriment to them being there except for being annoying. Lately, I lost almost an entire start of 15 plants due to the little gifts from hell and I determined to get rid of them forever. I will not take another plant into bloom with this problem because although I am growing some great pot... I know I can do better... and I know the bugs have had a large part to do with the troubles I have had.

So I went after them in 4 directions. I have let the bloom room go... those plants will finish out over the next few weeks and then I am done in there. The room will be sterilized and never again will one of these bugs move back in there, if I have anything to do with it.

In the veg and mother rooms though, I went to war. First I went after the fliers, with a hot shot pest strip in each room. Along with that I hung a yellow sticky card in each room too. The fliers started dropping like black snow onto the floor and the grow tables.

Then I went after the eggs with mosquito bits by shaking them onto the surface and watering them in. In my evil mind I pictured bug eggs, steaming and exploding under the surface due to that chemical being released into the soil.

Next were the larvae themselves. One of our forum sponsors sells beneficial bugs. Nematodes. I applied them where the infestation was worse and where it was taking out my new seedlings at an alarming rate. Nematodes eat the larvae... apparently at a maniacal rate.

Boom!
The bugs are gone. Wiped out. There are carcasses everywhere, but... 6 of my new plants survived. Grows will now be bug free. They say you can defeat these pests by breaking their lifecycle at any of those 3 points. I went insane on them. They will do that to you if you let them get out of hand. Don't let them get out of hand. Sterilize all soil coming into your grow from an outside source.

the more soil you have around the harder it is to get rid of them.
they come pre-packaged in bad potting soil as bonus .. :straightface:

Boom!

the more soil you have around the harder it is to get rid of them.
they come pre-packaged in bad potting soil as bonus .. :straightface:

edit : ok i'm running like hell from this groundhogs day thread ...

Back
Top Bottom