Any other Aussies here?

G'day all a Queenslander here - outdoor grows only for the moment maybe a scrog set up in the future if the partner gets over paranoia (law, fire, electric bill....geez). If Admin read this I've just been reading the Pest and Disease section under the Grow Room header and commend you guys on a really comprehensive coverage of nutrient deficiency/excess use on mully's. But there is one section that needs to be updated IMO regarding plant diseases. Under the heading of Sooty Mould it is suggested that the mould attracts insects like aphids , thrips etc which then attack your plants. This is incorrect. The insects come first then the mould comes after that. I'll explain how/why. Insects like thrips , aphids ,mealy bug use piercing/sucking methods to extract the juice from plants. In doing so, as they feed they excrete a sugary substance referred to as honey dew. Some will have noticed a sticky coating on plants that are affected especially bad infestations of aphid. It is this sugar (carbohydrate) that the sooty mould grows on. So what this means is that if you notice the sooty mould you have already had an insect problem to start with. Remedy : stop the insects and stop the mould. A simple safe preventative is make a dilute solution of pure soap flakes and using an atomizer bottle spray all over paying close attention under the leaves. You can also use this solution to "wash" the soot off if you have a plant you want to bring back to health. I am not only a passionate gardener but also a Horticulturist by trade so have looked at all the "industry" solutions but lean towards a more simpler "organic/holistic" approach. Treating the cause not the symptoms is always the better way to solve problems. The comprehensive nutrient related health issues raised in the "article" under Grow Room is a good example of this especially paying attention to pH. A happy plant is a healthy one and a healthy one has less disease and pests. Cheers Pat.

Grow rooms maxin' out at 35 C over night with night time inside house temps. only dropping to 27 C so got to come up with some kind of cooling as growth seems to have slowed. Crap ceiling insulation care of tight arsed mothers who built the joint isn't helping much. Bring on winter. Cheers.

Grow rooms maxin' out at 35 C over night with night time inside house temps. only dropping to 27 C so got to come up with some kind of cooling as growth seems to have slowed. Crap ceiling insulation care of tight arsed mothers who built the joint isn't helping much. Bring on winter. Cheers.

You could....Put up pink batts!! :) Sorry, couldn't help myself. I see Beatie is keen on limited legalisation up your end. I hope it happens and that the domino theory works for once.

Hi mate,

we are in Melbourne - A-Grade Hydroponics - look us up brother!

Hi Nerfbane, Will do mate- just out of curiosity (you sound like you know what your talking about) does that affect the estores performance?

Awesome thanks for that mate!

Est. 2012 But recently entered the online world of madness.

We are a research based company(so a little bit geeky) , but currently run the webstore as the primary business. flick us a message if you ever need anything mate, ill look after you.

Victorian here a.k.a. an oz mexican. live nth of the divide in a rural setting.
australianvaporizers.com.au have a good selection and as I've discovered the hard way... buy locally! their service is very good and they are quick! I purchased an ill fated vapexhale cloud and they are replacing it with the newer more reliable evo. yay!
I just purchased an lsv off them and it was here in 2 days!
I am a customer... nothing more.
my regards

p.s. be aware of the similiarly named australiavaporizers which has no N at the end of australia. they are an overseas mob masquerading as a local company. pretty underhanded I reckon.

welcome mate, yes this is IMO the primo site around! a mature forum where peace reigns and non-conflictual idea exchange is normal.
lol, i wondered how long your idea for swapping would last in your post... not very!
good you found a local hydro but be careful of overpricing.... i.e. my local shop around 100 k's away in a small regional border city, charges $305 for a litre of cannaboost but I can get it from ebay delivered for $147!
regards

hey coco, yep... to use an oz colloquialism "dead as a maggot" springs to mind!

guess it's cos our interest is border less.

I live in rural Vic which for growing in and out doors is pretty difficult. cold as a witches tit late autumn/winter/early spring and blazingly hot summers! (damn last summer was hot). bluntly put, north of the divide is fucking hot! last summer was weeks and weeks of 40 + every day. bastard of a season!

it would be interesting to occasionally exchange tips and suggestions for our unique climate.

my tip... hot climate, coco coco coco. handles the heat with no root problems and plenty aeration.

welcome mate!

cheers mate, good to be on board! can't believe how big this entire forum is, could spend a lifetime reading and talking and still only hit the tip of the iceberg.

Back
Top Bottom