Nerfbanes First Ever Grow 2013

Nerfbane

Welcome to my first grow journal, and first grow in general! To say that I was not 100% prepared when I had a little clone thrust upon me would be an understatement. A friend of mine dropped a clone on me that he suddenly had no way of caring for since he knew that this was something I was thinking of trying anyway, and so a few weeks ago I had this sickly looking thing with leaves pointing in the wrong direction and all the signs of phosphorous deficiency. So I hurriedly gathered up what I could to keep the thing alive while I get set up properly.

So, one general hydroponics power grower and a tent that fit in my laundry later I've got a place for the plant to live. I'm going with Dutch Master Advance grow+flower, Cannazyme and Cannaboost, and a silica supplement. PH I am adjusting down to 5.2m, temperature in the enclosure sits between 22-26 degrees at 1m and I live in the wrong part of oz to worry about humidity. The Dutch Master it turns out has a very minty smell that is quite nice. The clone was done in soil, so I rinsed the roots clean before putting in the hydroton, and fed nutrients at seedling strength dilution for the first 5 days while it re-established.

Lighting is a TopLED Mars II 80x5 grow light. For the first 5 days I had it it was under a crappy UFO LED I picked up locally, I'd already decided to replace it when it died and I gave a little cheer. While I was waiting for the TopLED light to turn up I had a HPS up, and that caused all the heat problems I knew it would.

As to what variety my little ward is, no idea! People in oz are totally moronic for the most part as to different strains, and only care about the difference between hydro and bush bud. Annoys me really.

And now the bit you care about, photos!

Firstly, the light from outside the tent. I think it says a lot about how broad a range of spectrums the mars 2 covers. And it's quite pretty.

100_00094.JPG

When I mounted the Mars 2 I decided to not use the hanger it came with, I used some ratchet action things to hang each point to a cross member of the tent frame, distributing the weight better and removing the possibility of the light bouncing off the ground from a single point of failure. I can't help it, I'm an engineer.

100_00215.JPG

Here is the bugger just after the Mars 2 went up 6 days ago. Poor thing looks as sad as a beaten puppy.

100_00132.JPG

100_00104.JPG

Basically every leaf under the first V is dead or dieing, the 2 at the top and the bud in the middle are all that are alive, and they have heat damage after an unseasonal warm patch + HPS lighting.

And here we are today at the start of week 3 of veg. A much happier looking little trooper with new growth sites busting out all over. I waited until today to remove the dieing leaves to give the plant time to suck as much juju out of them as possible.

100_00234.JPG
100_00205.JPG
100_00194.JPG
100_00166.JPG

So she's a bit unbalanced looking foliage wise atm, but I think that should have evened out before the end of the week at the rate shoots are sprouting. The curling on the tips is the heat damage, all the new growth looks as healthy as you could hope for. I was thinking of going a 5 week veg to give the plant more time to establish, but it might not be necessary. More updates soon!

Re: Nerbanes First Ever Grow (2013)

And here we are at the start of week 4, with ph correct from the start this time. She has definantly not weakened from all the stress at the start and is putting out new growth all over the place, at least to my novice eyes.

100_00246.JPG
100_00257.JPG
100_00282.JPG
100_00274.JPG
100_00265.JPG

The new growth coming through is pretty much perfect, there are some leaves hanging around from when the LED first went up that are showing damage from the stress, but they are the only ones. I think it's not so much the plant is leaning over as I am a terrible cameraman. I think I'm gonna go 12/12 at the end of this week, should I wait?

Thanks for subbing LA, I saw your PotM, t'was a topiary delight! My tent is 5 1/2 feet tall KJC, I've already decided I will replace it at the end of this grow with a .8mx.8mx2m tall jobbie and find another use for this tent, I already have a spot measured up where it will fit nicely.

If your tent is 5'6" tall i would measure how tall your pot is and what the minimum distance that your LED light can be used at, that gives you the total area for your plant to grow in and grow your plant until it is 1/3 the remaining distance. when you flower your plant it should stretch 2x-3x in height and maximize your yield. if your plant gets too tall i would suppercrop it for this one grow.

here is a youtube search for supercropping

https://www.youtube.com search supercropping

Update time, start of week 4. I'm vegging for another week on CJP's sage advice, there are worse problems than having too much plant. No problems have arisen since I started taking photos that I can see, there are like 3 leaves on the thing that have got some weird curl thing going on, doesn't seem to be any nutrient problem that is listed in the how to grow forum, I'd say it's light stress but the leaves are about mid way down the plant and on different areas. If it spreads I'll worry more about it, probably a case of first grow hypochondria.

Piccies!

100_00292.JPG

This is how bad a photographer I am, I can get an auto focus lens to take blurry pics.

100_00312.JPG

100_00323.JPG
100_00336.JPG

For some reason the main stem has developed a direction problem and is growing on a lean, I'm gonna get some pvc pipes from the hardware store and point it in the right direction with some tieing.

Actually there is one bit I don't like much, seeing my photos! But they did make it easier to see that I was starting to get algae forming on the hydroton, so I've put some black plastic around the stem of the plant to hanging over the edge since it'll die in the dark. Kinda had a feeling it was going to happen.

Hey ho new pic time, will get some with the LED off later but I wanted to share some since I was in there doing some crap. Flipped to 12/12 3 days ago earth time. Would have posted some earlier but it's been a busy 10 days what with a new fascist government being elected and all.

100_00355.JPG
100_00364.JPG
100_00374.JPG

Back
Top Bottom