Anyone seeded straight to 12/12?

Hi Starman, 12 hours or more of darkness triggers flowering. that way you control how long the plant will veg for. Generally the longer you veg, the larger the end yield will be. alot of people veg with an 18 hours lights on/6 hours lights off per day (18/6) some 20/4, some for 24 hours of light all day every day. It's all personal preferance. what sejd is saying is he finds 16 hours of light/8 hours of darkness per day for 8-10 weeks before setting the light cycle to 12/12 (to enduce flowering) gives him a strong yield. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G920I using 420

Ryd, that's good to know. Learning a little every day!

Sent from my SM-T700 using 420

wow. looks potent! 22.3% thc! ive never seeded straight to 12/12 but ive heard the same. i imagine it works better with sativas as they grow in mass more than indicas when put into flower (the stretch) so that may be why they produce more as they get a better head start maybe? (just a guess). And yea you could try it but you wont be getting the best bang for your buck (imho) if you are buying the seeds as their quite expensive.

These ones were gifted to me, so it's not a problem in regards to price. I was actually thinking I may not be able to grow them in my space cause they'd get too big. It looks like a good smoke though, so I'd love to grow some ÷)

another thing you can do is top the plant/s and low stress train (lst) research those methods. the plant/s will grow bushier and wider but nowhere near as tall. and you'll increase your yield big time! They say a plant that is bigger horizontally will yield far more than a plant that looks like a christmas tree.

ohh and they say once put into flower an indica dominant strain grows 1.5 to 2 times its size in the first 3 weeks of going 12/12 and a sativa dominant will double to triple its size in the first 3 weeks of going 12/12! just something to keep in mind when growing in smaller spaces.

Wow, great info! Yep I've been trying a little LST on the little plants I have now. I wasn't sure if you could do it using 12/12 - was thinking that topping etc might stress it too much?

yea apparently it does. only do it in veg and at least a week before you go to 12/12. top early but not too early. after the 4th or 5th node from seed. and i think after the 3rd or 4th from clone.? once the new 2 colas grow a little then very gently bend them in the opposite direction to each other exposing light to all new growth along both those colas. as the two main colas grow longer keep tying them so they grow horizontally and tie down any new growth that gets too tall to keep an even height on your canopy. along with a few more tops here and there youll have a very high producing bush of a plant. even light penetration is the key.

all this needs to be done in veg by the way. but you can do some lst during flowering.

Personally I prefer fim over topping. Best cast it is 2.5 times as good as topping, worst case it IS topping.
I also prefer hst over lst. No strings or wires that way.
I stop training once the flowers show.

Also I agree with the other guys I don't think 12/12 from seed is the best idea for the best yield, but you asked if you could not if it was optimum.

I've read that 12/12 from seed is good with sativas moreso than indicas, have you found this to be true at all? I have some Thai sativa land race seeds which were given to me, and I'd like to grow them but only have a smallish tent (500mm x 900mm x 1600mm), and I'd like to try to keep them small and compact.

Also, the pics in that post - how old from seed are those girls? Thanks :)

Edited to add, these are the seeds I have: Wild Thailand | Buy an Extremely Potent, Landrace Sativa Today!

I'm thinking, logically, Thai sativa should be used to a 12/12 cycle in nature, with Thailand being so close to the equator?

Starman- if you're referring to some of my photos - the Mama Thai, which is also a landrace sativa - usually flowers for about 12 weeks before it's done.
There is some seasonal variation in Thailand. It depends where you are. The very south end of Thailand gets close to being 12/12 but still varies by 45 minutes or so between summer/winter solstice. The north varies by about 3 hours. I'm not sure how much that affects the growth cycle. It seems to me that plants in southern parts of Thailand do flower at any time of year. In reality the growth cycle seems to revolve around the wet- dry seasons. After the monsoons are over in late summer or fall is when plants like cannabis get growing better, and I know we got fresh harvested bud in Thailand in January sometimes. (I spent a few years there). But this is all beside the point.
I'm not sure what lattitude Mama Thai is from but it flowers and finishes no problem under 12/12. That picture shows two MT plants in one screen after a week of veg and 12 weeks of flowering. If I'd vegged for another 6 weeks I would have had only one plant per screen and the screens would have been packed with buds- instead of being quite thin as in the photos. Well worth the wait.
At that time I didn't know what to expect in terms of runaway growth. I could have grown four plants under that screen in the same period of time, and filled it better.
I didn't get the sense that sativas perform better than indicas with the 12/12fs thing. It's probably more common to do with sativas though- because people are short on vertical space.

hey ottawagreen! yeah im still yet to try fimming. i suppose i found a method that works for me (and the added bonus with topping if you take a decent amount is clones) but each to their own. i think ill experiment with a bit of fim this time round as ive heard you can get multiple colas from one fim! Good point Ottawagreen!

Starman- wow good info. looks like you know your shit when it comes to taiwanese bud. correct me if im wrong but i always knew of sativas growing much taller than indicas!?

haha. im no expert either. have had a few grows though and have learnt alot. the internet and all these good people were talking too right now will help you a lot as it/they have done for me. research and experiment my friend .

Well- i'm no expert on Thai cannabis -but I have smoked lots of it! It is pretty much my favourite smoke. A few months ago I would've said it is my favorite smoke, except now I'm in love with the Malawi I have been growing.
Yes -sativas definitely generally get taller than indica strains. They can produce lots of bud, though it tends to be light and fluffy usually depending on the strain. Overall though- I think the yield factor as it relates to veg time is about the same. What I'm trying to say is- regardless of the strain- a longer veg time exponentially increases size and yield.
Here is an interesting link for you which helps show how veg time relates to size and yield. How vegetative growth time exponentially affects yield

Malawi might have to look into that. Yea i have heard as the plant gets bigger and bigger it multiplies faster and faster. Another thing i was thinking (ohhh o.) Was if i was to make a large enough veg room i could have 2 alotments of plants. Veg one group for 2 months, then start another group of plants, continue to veg the 2month old plants for another 2 months (would then have 4 month long vegged and 2 month long vegged plants) put the 4 month vegged plants into the flower room. Plant another batch for veg room and start a perpetual grow where i'll be harvesting 6 month old plants every 2 months!? (Assuming flowering is approx. 8 weeks.) What do you think weaselcracker???

It all depends how much space you have! Plants in flowering grow to at least double the size of the ones in veg. So with four months of vegging- you are talking about potentially some very big plants. You won't need very many - unless you have a lot of space.
I like how in this thread we've gone so quickly from solo cups to monster plants!
Once you are semi confident with your growing skills/luck that your plants are going to make it through flowering half-ass healthy- I think big plants make a lot of sense. It's easier taking care of one big plant than it is 16 or 32 small ones.

Space shouldnt be too much of a worry with 2m + head room. And a room half the size of a bedroom for flower room lol. Haha yea i was thinking the same thing. One idea leads to another . And yes i agree with you there, less bigger plants are easier to care for. And a bit more interesting imho.

Back
Top Bottom