Are they locked out? pH 6.5 came out 5.6

Ironmike340

Been having trouble with plants in flower two week turning yellow brown fan leafs and dying? Smart pots watered enough.
I just ran ph water 6.5 with calibrated blue lab guardian and runoff came out 5.6
Also ec of water in was .8 and came out 2.9?? Are my plants locked out and not getting nutes ? Never had this before my nutes are right on. Few pics are in need of water I layed off to see if overwatered but no. Feed 1/2 strength twice week. Water every other. Never a problem?

Attachments

• 14DEBC59-6939-45F8-B146-9E94F67AD493.jpeg
    14DEBC59-6939-45F8-B146-9E94F67AD493.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 95667AC9-8198-45D5-B9DC-FB02DDEAE61B.jpeg
    95667AC9-8198-45D5-B9DC-FB02DDEAE61B.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 5A98BFF3-12D1-40E9-90A7-00364702CE30.jpeg
    5A98BFF3-12D1-40E9-90A7-00364702CE30.jpeg
    623.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 2475BFBE-9C93-4D61-AF8B-29ED6924AAA6.jpeg
    2475BFBE-9C93-4D61-AF8B-29ED6924AAA6.jpeg
    712.7 KB · Views: 201
Ok so, don’t worry about what ph the run off is. That’s not the correct way to determine your soil ph anyways.

Second. If your ph’ing to 6.5 then you must be growing in soil right?

Thirdly. Don’t worry about those leave changing colour like that towards late flower. The plant is sucking nutrients from older fan leaves to what there not using where it is. The plant moves it to the top colas, where it really matters

Yes they do. But I’ve never changed feeding schedule. And I’m using bloom food now so I’m sure the nitrogen is less.. I had those plant feeding at sensi bloom 4ml per liter as I always have at that stage. I split that in two and feed twice a week

Not sure if I can wait. I may just run it tomorrow. I think it may be lock out and it’s not getting any nutes and consuming itself.
Running 200ppm water and getting over 2k seems very odd and it would explain things

Well I am running soil and I am running 6.5. And I didn’t run nutes I ran ro water and calmag at 200ppm.
Oh am I’m checking Pom of runoff. Well that because top members told me too and all info I found says too. And to check ph of slurry runoff. So now you perplexed like I am lol

Well I am running soil and I am running 6.5. And I didn’t run nutes I ran ro water and calmag at 200ppm.
Oh am I’m checking Pom of runoff. Well that because top members told me too and all info I found says too. And to check ph of slurry runoff. So now you perplexed like I am lol
If you were running a clean medium, such as coco or a hydro setup of some kind, then and only then would runoff pH and PPM measurements be useful to you, since the coco or the water in the hydro system would not add anything to the readings. Soil is a different beast however, and measurements have to take into consideration that they have indeed come from a slurry. When you water to runoff in soil, all sorts of sludge comes with it, dragged out of the soil by the movement of the water. Runoff not only consists of left over nutes and salts from the breakdown of those nutes, but also broken down organic material and carbon, and indeed particles from the soil itself. PPM or pH readings of this mess are mostly meaningless, and become even more so when you complicate matters by arbitrarily deciding whether the start of runoff, or a reading at 10% or 20% runoff is more accurate. Just like in a coffee pot, the more water you add means weaker coffee, less water makes it stronger.... at what point does your runoff reading begin to reflect something happening in the soil... the answer is never. These readings are totally meaningless in soil. I don't care which "top members" told you that it does... physics does not lie. You are wasting your time and chasing ghosts by measuring and paying any attention to runoff numbers.
The whole idea of measuring EC or PPM in a soil grow is silly too. Imagine all the micro particles in soil in parts per million. You are greatly complicating things in a soil grow by worrying about such things. Soil growers generally do not even own PPM or EC meters, they simply measure and mix, usually by so many tablespoons per gallon of nutrient to use... there is no need to get any more accurate than that in soil.
Your pH of 6.5 is probably perfectly ok in your soil grow. Heavy metal deficiencies can creep in during late bloom by never letting the pH hit the low part of the range 6.2-6.4, but adjusting up and down within that range at various times of the grow is more of an advanced technique, and I don't believe it to be an issue here. The problem you are experiencing has to do with again, following the advice of someone who is simply guessing and advising you to feed at half strength. You yourself have diagnosed your plants to be hungry, and of not getting nutes, yet seemingly nothing but peer pressure has convinced you that the problem is anything other than you simply not feeding them the nutes they need.
If you are convinced that your hydro oriented advisors are where it is at, then by all means follow their advice and enjoy all your scientific measurements and try a good water based or inert medium based grow next time. This time you are in soil, and if you are going to get through a soil grow, the rules are a little different, a lot more relaxed, and with different feeding needs.
You have plants that are slowly yellowing from the bottom up, showing you that the plant is lacking mobile (macro) nutrients. Clearly you are not giving enough food. You have big plants now, with big and ever increasing needs, yet you are still locked into this idea of giving half strength nutes, when you are already alternating nutes with plain water as you should in soil. Think about this for a second... you give half strength nutes one time and then follow up with water the next time, at most letting your plants see 1/4 strength nutes in the soil on that second pass. The water/nutes/water/nutes method of watering soil is already designed to give you half strength nutes on that water only pass... but your advisors now have you giving way less than that... so of course your plants are starving.
Luckily a soil expert happened along to hear your problem and diagnose it correctly and you need to take this experience to heart and realize that your top member advisors have let you down and given you bad advice. Trust your soil to do what it was designed to do, and simply feed and water as your nute manufacturer recommends, adjusting your pH correctly for all of your incoming fluids. You are trying to make this much more difficult than it needs to be.

Dude that is ph my water is when I add it. Same with ppm.
Then you check runoff and compare.
My ph drops to 5.6
My Ppmskies to 2050 ppm.
If you don’t understand why I test runoff please move on so someone alittle more /knowledged can respond.
It tell you what’s going on in the root zone.

Dude that is ph my water is when I add it. Same with ppm.
Then you check runoff and compare.
My ph drops to 5.6
My Ppmskies to 2050 ppm.
If you don’t understand why I test runoff please move on so someone alittle more /knowledged can respond.
It tell you what’s going on in the root zone.
Please don't get snippy Mike... we are simply trying to help you. You are so wrong it is painful though... your runoff measurements, despite the advice you have been given, tells you NOTHING about what is going on in the "root zone" in soil.

Back
Top Bottom