Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

Hi all. I'm on my first grow and everything I read makes me more confused lol I'm currently growing in a cabinet but moving to a tent shortly. My girls are doing so great so far considering I've never grown anything ever! I'm doing LST with them etc

Now I'm moving into a tent I was sort of thinking of upgrading my lighting. But I don't know and can't decide what's best! Please help!

So light wise I currently have 2x big 200W dual spectrum CFL's & 1x 45w 6500k cfl and 1x 45w 2700k cfl. Actual wattage not equivalent

According to my math which could be off lol in a tent 120x60x150cm I have 20-square foot? If working on the needing 42w per square foot then I'm 350W less than the ideal lighting for that size? Although 840 watts for 3 plants seems a lot to me! Will they do well if I only give them the 490W? I could add another few smaller CFL but then with the heat they all create maybe I'd be better off with 1 HPS 600W light?

LED would be my first choice but concerned I don't have enough height and they can burn plants easy if not enough height, and the Candida plants will grow fairly tall even with training. So maybe not the best choice?

A 600w HPS light with ballast will set me back £60 which is more affordable. But don't know if that 1 light is going to kick out more heat than my CFL's. The big CFL's do kick out a lot of heat but then it maybe better in a tent.

My cabinet is roughly 4x3 and I have a 4-inch exhaust with carbon filter and a 4-inch intake+2 clip on fans and temps go from 26-30c but then the cabinet is more insulated than a tent would be?

Tent arrives tomorrow hopefully so I'll set it up and see how hot the CFL's get in there. If it's much cooler than the cabinet then maybe hps would be worth considering.

I'd be happy sticking with my CFL's, just don't want to put in a tonne of work and have a pants yelid :(

I could add another 2x 125w CFL to my light board bringing the total wattage upto 740 Watts, but the 125w are 6500k spectrum are they ok for flower? Still with fixings will cost me another £38 to add them.

Pics of my girls and current set up

E9907B99-0CF2-4CB1-9534-324044D80E7C.jpeg
16CFA1D8-55F3-4F07-B00E-7F24AC61B30B.jpeg
B479905F-6C1E-46FC-85AD-BA19BE349FD7.jpeg
C4757A25-4293-4AD6-82D1-724D1F61D2AE.jpeg
F9052130-86F1-4457-8E0D-439C22ED9FB9.jpeg

Any tips for h2o2 in DWC to prevent algae or root rot ?

Alright guro, hope things are good bud.
I used h2o2 in the past..had great results using it. It's a safe bet, it keeps a sterile res, nice white roots but you can't use beneficial bacteria or micros, it kills them of.
I personally grew with it for a number of years, just using basic nutes and h2o2. Never had any res issues and it gives the roots extra oxygen.
I used growth technology liquid oxygen. 1cap full (10ml) in a 20litre res. I think its a good way to start hydro till you get the parameters all dialled in.
Alot of people would disagree and there are other products around like Z7, hydroguard.
You had most things dialled in on your grow, I think if you had a little less water in the res and a little more bubbles next time I dont think you'll get the slimy roots.
But yes the h2o2 will sort it nicely.
You'll get it sorted bud.
Happy growing.

Hi all. I’m on my first grow and everything I read makes me more confused lol I’m currently growing in a cabinet but moving to a tent shortly. My girls are doing so great so far considering I’ve never grown anything ever! I’m doing LST with them etc

Now I’m moving into a tent I was sort of thinking of upgrading my lighting. But I don’t know and can’t decide what’s best! Please help!

So light wise I currently have 2x big 200W dual spectrum CFL’s & 1x 45w 6500k cfl and 1x 45w 2700k cfl. Actual wattage not equivalent

According to my math which could be off lol in a tent 120x60x150cm I have 20-square foot? If working on the needing 42w per square foot then I’m 350W less than the ideal lighting for that size? Although 840 watts for 3 plants seems a lot to me! Will they do well if I only give them the 490W? I could add another few smaller CFL but then with the heat they all create maybe I’d be better off with 1 HPS 600W light?

LED would be my first choice but concerned I don’t have enough height and they can burn plants easy if not enough height, and the Candida plants will grow fairly tall even with training. So maybe not the best choice?

A 600w HPS light with ballast will set me back £60 which is more affordable. But don’t know if that 1 light is going to kick out more heat than my CFL’s. The big CFL’s do kick out a lot of heat but then it maybe better in a tent.

My cabinet is roughly 4x3 and I have a 4-inch exhaust with carbon filter and a 4-inch intake+2 clip on fans and temps go from 26-30c but then the cabinet is more insulated than a tent would be?

Tent arrives tomorrow hopefully so I’ll set it up and see how hot the CFL’s get in there. If it’s much cooler than the cabinet then maybe hps would be worth considering.

I’d be happy sticking with my CFL’s, just don’t want to put in a tonne of work and have a pants yelid :(

I could add another 2x 125w CFL to my light board bringing the total wattage upto 740 Watts, but the 125w are 6500k spectrum are they ok for flower? Still with fixings will cost me another £38 to add them.

Pics of my girls and current set up

E9907B99-0CF2-4CB1-9534-324044D80E7C.jpeg
16CFA1D8-55F3-4F07-B00E-7F24AC61B30B.jpeg
B479905F-6C1E-46FC-85AD-BA19BE349FD7.jpeg
C4757A25-4293-4AD6-82D1-724D1F61D2AE.jpeg
F9052130-86F1-4457-8E0D-439C22ED9FB9.jpeg

Hi aspiegeek, congrats on the tent.
What light to buy?..cor u dont ask the easy ones do you. Ha ha.
This is just my opinion. With that size tent a 600w hps might be a little much, the heat would require alot of exhaust, a really big fan.
Because your space will be long and thin, I would suggest two smaller lights. This will give you flexibility, you can raise 1, lower 1.
At the moment I would recommend 2 of growants little lights.for the price and what they offer, they look amazing
Low watts great performance.
They are a sponsor on here so you can have a nose here. I think their rep has a thread on here, so you can even have a chat to him.
Exciting times new tent, new lights.good luck.

This is just my opinion. With that size tent a 600w hps might be a little much, the heat would require alot of exhaust, a really big fan.
Because your space will be long and thin, I would suggest two smaller lights. This will give you flexibility, you can raise 1, lower 1.
At the moment I would recommend 2 of growants little lights.for the price and what they offer, they look amazing
They are a sponsor on here so you can have a nose here. I think their rep has a thread on here, so you can even have a chat to him.

Omg bro look up morsen cob grow light it would be perfect

Hey all been a while so I’ve got some photos running inside in soil under led and I’ve got thripes. My plants are shedding fan leaves like it’s fall this is the second time first time I lost this time I refuse. I sprayed with neem oil still getting tiny tar like dots of poo. Diatomaceous earth? Any help thanks all

Alright ohioboy.
I had thrips for a while couple of years ago. They're not very good at hanging on to the plant.
It took the plants out of the tent, leaned the plants over a piece of white paper and shook the plant as vigorous as you can get away with. You'll be amazed how many just fall of, silly bast@#ds.
After that I was just hitting them with the neem oil myself.
I used warm water 1litre, 4ml neem and a couple of drops of the softest soap you can get. This sorted it for me, but I could of been lucky.
I'm sure you know you got to keep repeating the process every three days or so . that will end the cycle of adult and larvae.
Good luck.

Omg bro look up morsen cob grow light it would be perfect

Just had a look at cobs, they look really cool but in the UK there almost as expensive as the LED lights, for good quality ones for the power I’d need they look more expensive than LED. Unless you require a lot less Wattage with them than HPS or CFL. It said in description that one 100W is equal to 250W CFL, but at £124 a pop I’d still need like 3 of them so that would be more expensive than 1 600w LED.

The LED I was looking at is £160 made by viparspectra and I think I’d just need 1 of those. BUT it’s still pretty expensive :( not sure a 150cm height tent would be high enough for a LED light? Given my plants may grow fairly tall?

Just had a look at cobs, they look really cool but in the UK there almost as expensive as the LED lights, for good quality ones for the power I'd need they look more expensive than LED. Unless you require a lot less Wattage with them than HPS or CFL. It said in description that one 100W is equal to 250W CFL, but at £124 a pop I'd still need like 3 of them so that would be more expensive than 1 600w LED.

The LED I was looking at is £160 made by viparspectra and I think I'd just need 1 of those. BUT it's still pretty expensive :( not sure a 150cm height tent would be high enough for a LED light? Given my plants may grow fairly tall?

Mars hydro 600 is only $139

Haha sorry! There’s so many choices when it comes to lights that it gets proper confusing. Def looking forward to the tent arriving as I’m running out of room in the cabinet!

My CFL’s are doing a awesome job of vegging, my girls are growing great and healthy. I’m thinking when I transfer to the tent I’ll set it up as I have now and check there ok vegging for a week before changing lights or adding more CFL’s if that’s the route I go down.

I have 4x 45w 6500k CFL’s I can add to my light board already. I could then just add another 2x 125w and it would give me just over the 840 Watts that’s recommended. But they would be 6500k would that be ok for flower? Or am I wasting money?

I do like the viparspectra LED just concerned I don’t have enough height at 150cm height

Are they a good brand? If I got 1 600W I think I could get away with that for my entire grow and still have a good yelid.
What about height? Is 150cm height ok for LED use? And heat wise I’m presuming they won’t kick out more than big 200W my CFL’s?

Both mars and growant are sponsors here..they both have lights in your price range, so you can ask them directly for thier spec for your space.
I know I keep mentioning them (I dont work for them, or receive anything from them) but growant lights are new to the market and bring new up to date tech.the power offered for the price seems well reasonable.
Ive been watching some threads with their tech, it even has sunset, sunrise settings, able to link them together with wifi they have all sorts of new tech for reasonable prices.
Mars is an industry standard. Good prices.good results.

Hi I'm wondering if anybody can help I have a auto pot system but I am currently not using it just The pots and trays they sit in. They are 25 litres and veg for about 7 to 8 weeks I'm in the first week of flower and the leafs are drooping I've been given about 3 L each every three days is it too much or to less plz can someone help me it's really worrying me
420-magazine-mobile628944274.jpg
420-magazine-mobile417373306.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1284305091.jpg

They look fine. When there drooped stick your finger in the dirt/see how light the pot is also. If the pots way dry 4" deep water again. Make sure the plant dries out before watering. Defoil a lil.

Thanks bro I really appricate it also I have this on the bottom of my pot what do you guys recommend I do to get rid of it and is is negatively impacting my plant . Also I'm in the process of defoliation
420-magazine-mobile808178387.jpg
420-magazine-mobile424340293.jpg
420-magazine-mobile276835922.jpg
just want more light to penetrate I don't think anything bad will happen I've made it this far and haven't fucked up . And a quick question to everyone that's reading this....have you ever had your plant till end of veg or in flower and your used to looking at it in your tent instead of in an open room not crowded for 4x4 walls? Then come to find out it's fucking massive and bigger then you thought? I'm amazed everytime I pull it out how big they've actually grown and how tall they are

Im using fabric pots for the first time and a vet said yes to put them in a individual catch tray. I havent done mine yet. Mine drain into the tents pan. As long as you let the plant dry out completely before next water theres no difference xcept maybe you will water less cause its sitting in fluid and will suck it all up from the bottom. Dry it out and fans are crucial.

Need help please. I paid alot of money for these Ethos Mandarin Sunset seeds. Im growing in a closet with 2 other plants. This one is the only plant with leaf issues. Temps have been in the mid 70s with around 55rh. I can tell shes struggling. Very slow growth. Idk what the deficiency is. The other 2 are different strains n twice the size very green n healthy. Idk what todo. Shes in promix hp with a lil rootsorganics mixed in transplanted her a week ago. I give it distilled water with organic nuits n microbes. Any help would be greatly appreciate thanks.
420-magazine-mobile984005108.jpg

420-magazine-mobile461398762.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1761744746.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1708475980.jpg

Could be bugs. Scope some leafs. You might as well get used to it now.

Back
Top Bottom