Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

When do you stop weaving your plant thru scrog: 2weeks in flower
420-magazine-mobile489072096.jpg

Hey, I'm on day 55 of veg. I've done quite a bit of defoil and plan on doing more. I have some lower branches that have grown a bit. My question is should I clip them or leave them alone??
420-magazine-mobile1267932181.jpg
420-magazine-mobile485825149.jpg

Hey, I'm on day 55 of veg. I've done quite a bit of defoil and plan on doing more. I have some lower branches that have grown a bit. My question is should I clip them or leave them alone??

You need to thin out the top for sure. Stand above the plant and pull a few leafs on top and center. Any small branches you think wont amount to much chop.
Practice pulling a clone.

I'm growing in soil why do I need to ph and how is cal mag going to help ?
Well, its tough to give too much advise without all of your grow information.But, I assume your in soil ( but not super soil), If That is the case, PHing your grow is one of the most important things you can do. If your root area in soil is not in the ph range of 6.2 to 6.8, you will start to experience deficiencies because plant cananot soak up the nutrients it needs. Our plants nutrients can only be available to the plant when within the appropraite range. I check both PH and PPM of the solutuion i am wateting with, as well as check the PH and PPM of the 20% run off water from watering. The two combined tell me a story with each watering as well as over time. This is how i can keep my root zone optimal thru the entire harvest. If you are doing more than 1 cycyle, this is crucial because ou cannot try to remember everything youve done over 90 days or so. So i measure, then record EVERYTHING. Stay calm and keep growing! . . . .

I'm growing in soil why do I need to ph and how is cal mag going to help ?
These are the 2 MOST important micro elements in your grow.

Calcium is vital to your harvest's proper growth. It facilitates the absorption of other nutrients, preserves cell structure, and facilitates photosynthesis. Thus, a deficiency or lack of the element has an impact on plants' development.

Magnesium (Mg) is an activator of enzymes as well as an essential building block of chlorophyll, helping to capture photons and harness energy from the sun outdoors or grow lamps indoors to power the amazing food factory bio-machinery of plants.

You need to thin out the top for sure. Stand above the plant and pull a few leafs on top and center. Any small branches you think wont amount to much chop.
Practice pulling a clone.

Yeah I feel like that's all I've been doing lately. This girl grows back so fast. I'm constantly clipping fan leaves. I've clipped a lot of smaller branches already. I think I'll let her veg for two more weeks then flip.

I agree with 4dutches. You are still in veg by the sound of it. Although defoliation is a widley debated topic, i can gice only personal opinion and experience. Ive yet to do a scientific test to test defoliation. I persinaally just hate triming buds the size of ny pinky nail.

What would do is, one week before flower flip I would be foliate each individual stem all the way up to the last for nodes. I am basically only trying to leave the portion of the plant that is receiving light. If one week before the flip after bending my plant down during low-stress training, if I am still having stems below the canopy I would pull those stems by snipping them. Once they have recovered & you've done the flip and they've been in flower for the first week and a half ( during main stretch), I personally then hover over the top of your canopy line which will be much taller now and only pull fan leaves that are covering bud sites.

Personal strategy. Seens to help make bigger main colors and reduce the work during trimming

Its just bad practice to do it. Ive seen large rooms wrecked because my friend would go in and take pics in the dark. He woulf go in forn5 mins or so and get his pics, mailnly because you get the best pics when its in dark. But he had a 400oz grow with seeds everywhere. It only takes 1 plant to herm and it can ruin a whole room. Now does that mean every plant will herm when interupted in the dark cycle? No it doesnt but its baf practice. A single flash can interupt the whole dark period and if done regularly you are asking for problems.

Why risk ruining your crop? Doesnt matter if its 1 plant grow or 100 plant grow, you want the best result you can get. There are so many things that can go wrong in a garden, why add another factor to that?
lol that last line is the same line I'll use to people who germinate in wet paper towels... I'll say eh it's just an extra step why add the risk especially when it's a beginners thread.

I agree to an extent... Do not interrupt night cycle unless you absolutely have to... But again I see absolutely no harm if OP takes his pics a few mins before or after lights on/off as it's pretty irrelevant seeing how they'll still have plenty enough dark hours causing them to flower just the same as 12 hours would... The problem is when you wait a few hours and yes a flash can definitely disrupt the flower cycle because it's a rather bright light. It's not something I'd recommend doing everyday and for OP if you do ever need to mess with your plants during lights off go buy you a headband with a green light attached to it as it won't disturb them the same as the other lights in your home.

lol that last line is the same line I'll use to people who germinate in wet paper towels... I'll say eh it's just an extra step why add the risk especially when it's a beginners thread.

I agree to an extent... Do not interrupt night cycle unless you absolutely have to... But again I see absolutely no harm if OP takes his pics a few mins before or after lights on/off as it's pretty irrelevant seeing how they'll still have plenty enough dark hours causing them to flower just the same as 12 hours would... The problem is when you wait a few hours and yes a flash can definitely disrupt the flower cycle because it's a rather bright light. It's not something I'd recommend doing everyday and for OP if you do ever need to mess with your plants during lights off go buy you a headband with a green light attached to it as it won't disturb them the same as the other lights in your home.

Im not being funny mate but im aware its a beginners forum. I speak out of experience having grown 10's of thousands of plants. No one has to follow my advice but there isnt much i havent seen in growing when it comes to growing in coco or hydro. I grow more plants in one space than many grow in a life time so to try and suggest im giving bad advice is nonsense. You only have to look through my coco thread to see how many people ive helped have successful grows.

Out of ever 1000 seeds i germ in paper towels i might lose on average 3 seeds. Thats as near as perfect as you are going to get. No other germinating technique ive used over the 15+ years of growing continuously has been as successful. Take that as you will.

Im not being funny mate but im aware its a beginners forum. I speak out of experience having grown 10's of thousands of plants. No one has to follow my advice but there isnt much i havent seen in growing when it comes to growing in coco or hydro. I grow more plants in one space than many grow in a life time so to try and suggest im giving bad advice is nonsense. You only have to look through my coco thread to see how many people ive helped have successful grows.

Out of ever 1000 seeds i germ in paper towels i might lose on average 3 seeds. Thats as near as perfect as you are going to get. No other germinating technique ive used over the 15+ years of growing continuously has been as successful. Take that as you will.

Quote a single part where I said (or even suggested) you are giving bad advice? Someone's getting snippy for no reason at all. Because I disagree and went into detail as to why as disagree that's saying you are giving bad advice? How? Do you really believe it will ruin his crop if he takes a picture every day a couple minutes after the lights cut off? I'd like some insight correct me if I'm wrong don't just get an attitude and say I'm giving dogging your advice... I'm explaining where I'm coming from in hopes of if I'm wrong someone can give me a good reason as to why...

Yeah I feel like that's all I've been doing lately. This girl grows back so fast. I'm constantly clipping fan leaves. I've clipped a lot of smaller branches already. I think I'll let her veg for two more weeks then flip.

Yeah definitely they grow back very fast... Once you are a few weeks into flower that'll stop though. I know a lot of people will like to do a defoliation right at flip and again like 10-14 days later some go 21 days depending on strain... but they do stop growing all those fan leaves and start growing sugar leaves on the buds as they form.

Hay guys have a girl who's been in flower for over 10 weeks her buds are tiny all of them she seemed to be rootlocked and I put her in a bigger res can anyone give me a clue as to why this happened?could it be the rootlock?
She has ample lighting 600 w cob led Thanks :)

How does my girl look, first grow. I had some heat and over watering early on. The stems on the leaves at 3rd-5th node are purple. The newer growth on node 1 &2 have green stems.
420-magazine-mobile700838703.jpg
420-magazine-mobile849232630.jpg

How does my girl look, first grow. I had some heat and over watering early on. The stems on the leaves at 3rd-5th node are purple. The newer growth on node 1 &2 have green stems.
420-magazine-mobile700838703.jpg
420-magazine-mobile849232630.jpg

Looks fine and you have plenty of perlite which is always great .

Don't worry about the purple lots of people myself included get tons of purple stems too... Hell most of not all of my stems are part purple lol.. my first bagseed I grew had very bright streaks of red and the stem looked like candy canes almost. That dark brown woody color with red uniformly running through it.

Back
Top Bottom