Auto Growers Unite: A Community Thread

So Dabber and Scrogster, I'm liking that autos can get that big. Would you share your secrets with readers of this journal, please? I'm still trying to find the holy grail auto (sativa, 3+ z/lady, and finish by mid/end September.

Good Afternoon. With autos is it better to run your grow light in the normal veg first and then flower later or would they benefit from both being on at the same time? Thanks for any help.
I have seemed to have the best results using veg until they are into flowering and then going fully with flowering light or bulbs. I have used both with ok results after the veg when using LED lights. I often use a T5 fixture for veg and HPS for flowering. What has others noticed about this? The veg is so short with autos (most just about three weeks) I have grown , with the exception of a CBD auto which took forever, but I think I may have received some bad genetics or actually photo plant seeds.

I have seemed to have the best results using veg until they are into flowering and then going fully with flowering light or bulbs. I have used both with ok results after the veg when using LED lights. I often use a T5 fixture for veg and HPS for flowering. What has others noticed about this? The veg is so short with autos (most just about three weeks) I have grown , with the exception of a CBD auto which took forever, but I think I may have received some bad genetics or actually photo plant seeds.
k

From what I've read on other posts here most say to run them both. I did get mine transplanted with no noticed stress. Thing I found strange is one is putting out female hairs and they are 19 days. Again though these are my 1st autos.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    785 KB · Views: 178
Do those huge autos get that size indoors? I haven't grown outdoors in years (1980's). I have seen some autos, get taller grown outdoors, but they topped out at about 5 feet! The same ones grown indoors topped at no more than 4 feet every time. A lot of Auto growers were and still are, looking for compact growth to fit inside short tents,etc. without lots of work to control them or to be more stealthy outdoors. But, these giant autos sure look nice! I sure wish I could grow some of them outdoors! In our climate, I could grow 3 crops a year with good timing, with some varieties! I am a fan of autos for the quick turn over and compact size, because that best fits my needs. Quick development with more size and bud would be even better, if the height is not a negative for you.

k

From what I've read on other posts here most say to run them both. I did get mine transplanted with no noticed stress. Thing I found strange is one is putting out female hairs and they are 19 days. Again though these are my 1st autos.
Glad your transplanting went well! Ditto for me using LED lights! For the poor guy(or to keep a light growing something) on a tight budget, even a T5 fixture with two sets of bulbs (bloom and veg)will grow out autos with fair results! Then it is certainly better to change out the bulbs judging from results I have seen when growing to finish with T5 HO lights. Mixing the bulbs 50/50 averaged slightly less yield than when grown changing the bulbs from veg to bloom entirely. My usual practice is veg under T5 then up pot and move to under HPS. Of course, all my grows in the last 15 years has been organic soil grows. I left hydroponics when I left the greenhouse /landscaping/chemical business, after developing chemical sensitivities from over exposing myself. Nothing against hydro, amazing the results that can be had, I just made the decision to go as natural about everything as possible, including techniques as well as products! Ain't cannabis fun! As variable as nature can be, so pliable and intriguing that we are always drawn to plant again, just to see if we can change it or if it will change us!

Got 3 different varities of autoflowers growing in FF ocean forest. The middle one is 6 weeks and the other two 4 weeks. Took me a little while to figure out watering in the grow bags which dry out quickly but now it seems like I got them watered right.

When should I consider nutes? What strength? I have the Fox Farms line up as well as Cal mag. Last grow was in a different soil but used 1/2 strength wth good results. Just don't want to burn theses babies.

By the way, it looks like the one at 6 weeks is already in flower?!!

Got 3 different varities of autoflowers growing in FF ocean forest. The middle one is 6 weeks and the other two 4 weeks. Took me a little while to figure out watering in the grow bags which dry out quickly but now it seems like I got them watered right.

When should I consider nutes? What strength? I have the Fox Farms line up as well as Cal mag. Last grow was in a different soil but used 1/2 strength wth good results. Just don't want to burn theses babies.

By the way, it looks like the one at 6 weeks is already in flower?!!

I started a weak blood meal mixed in water every other watering when they had 3 nodes.

They will likely benefit from giving them half-strength. They might even want more.
:passitleft:

You can't go wrong using Neptune's Harvest fish 2-4-1 and Salt Water Farm's Sea Com PGR 0-4-4 (very concentrated kelp extract) at 1/2 recommended rates or full rates carefully measured, will not burn any plants. You can use it on the most delicate lettuce and etc., never burns! I have used it for more than two decades now on my mini farm's herbs, melons and vegetables as well as hundreds of very young cannabis plants. I sometimes start with soaking seeds in a half rate Kelp concentrate mix, especially when in doubt about viability/age of the seeds. Then fertilize the young seedlings the second week , no burn problems ever! It is OMRI approved and though it has low nitrogen compared to many sources, it is in a form that is readily taken up by the leaf or the roots(usually, though ph and etc. may effect that) and used regularly will readily, adequately supplement good organic soils amended with compost. But let me remind you, that just spraying with water, can cause leaf scald under intense light and heat conditions. That can be mitigated by good air circulation or applying when the light is about to go off immediately(but not the fans/filters!). My younger buddy who previously used a half dozen or more feeding products as supplemental feedings, uses fish and kelp now for most of his applications, after experiencing burning and other leaf issues several times over the years and finding fish/kelp to never cause an issue. Terps/flavor and oil production is always excellent using it alone (with a good soil mix including garden and worm compost)! The plants don't look like they are on steroids, like some hydro grows can, but are not far away from them and the THC/Terps are there! Anyway , it will not burn, used properly.

Wayne 1967, about the watering and using grow bags, I have found both in the nursery and inside my grow room that there can be a problem of dry pockets in the bags, that then resist taking up subsequent watering. It can be avoided with slow careful and very thorough watering, but that may result in too much water in your tent/grow floor hanging around. It seems better for me to hill nursery plants in to retain moisture or in the grow tent/indoors to use trays. That allows the water that may run through the bag quickly to soak back up into the bag and result in more even moisture throughout the bag. Just be careful to not overdo it or water too often or you will have another problem! If after 15- 20 minutes, standing water is still in the tray , your watering too heavy and you need to cut back a bit and drain out the excess. This results in less water used , overall in the end!

I’m actually just using self watering pots, not for that feature but I am able to check the run through with my finger without it getting in the tent floor. I use my wife’s sprinkler water can : ) so it doesn’t flood one spot.

Hiya Dabber,

I'm trying to find strains that will give more than an ounce/plant. If those are autos, would you divulge the secrets behind your success? Haven't seen any autos that big. They look great!!

Hiya Dabber,

I'm trying to find strains that will give more than an ounce/plant. If those are autos, would you divulge the secrets behind your success? Haven't seen any autos that big. They look great!!
last harvest i had 2x daiquiri lime auto they each yielded 90gr (3 oz) before that i grew a 90+gr purple kush auto, a 90+gr blue automazar and a 85gr blue dream auto and a 67gr(2oz+) amnesia auto (lower genetic quality seeds)
Imo all strains should yield over 1 oz (28gr) ... i suspect your applied method maybe responsible for lower yields .... care to tell us how you (plan to) grow ...?

Yes, PT is right on! Grown about 10 different auto strains in the last 3+ years and all have yielded between just over 1 and up to 4 oz cured bud. Usually, I get between 2 and just over 3 oz per auto plant. Things happen, from time to time, that reduce yield by interrupting the swiftly maturing autos development. Any mistake made with an auto grow usually reduces the haul! There is not enough time to make up for mistakes with them! That said, I love them! Not your best grow? Plant again and in 3-4 months , you have another harvest! PH, watering , lights and the right nutrients supplied and bang! The more living garden compost in an organic grow and usually, the more you can relax about Ph and nutrients, as the compost full of organics and beneficial organisms (bacteria/fungi) temper the effects of PH somewhat, retain moisture, while feeding effectively and steadily. Any good technique, once mastered, works growing, if you do it with consistency. Using store bought nutes requires carefull attention to directions, adjusting PH carefully/accurately to within a fairly narrow range and erring on the light side of application, if at all. Relax smoke a bowl and enjoy planning and planting your next grow!

Back
Top Bottom