The New Autoflower Topping Thread

I looks like the first one is ready to top. I am little concerned though as today the leaves seemed to curled upwards. Any ideas on what is going on? Should I wait a bit to top? The second one looks like it needs another day or two right?
20180213_112417.jpg
20180213_112426.jpg

Was getting late in the grow Day 24 so I decided to top both Sour Diesel autos. The first I topped at the 3rd node (taking off the 4th). The 2nd plant was topped at the 2nd (taking off the 3rd). It seemed like it probably needed another 2-3 days to grow the 4th long enough to cut as the 3rd was just getting going. I hope I didn't screw up but I figured if I was going to top I should get on with it before they got much older. Now just wait and see what happens.

20180214_095313.jpg
20180214_095318.jpg

I'll be interested in how the girl topped between the 2nd and 3rd node. I was going to top one at the same point. I know many prune at 3rd and 4th but I have seen some with great results at the 2-3 node.

I'll be interested in how the girl topped between the 2nd and 3rd node. I was going to top one at the same point. I know many prune at 3rd and 4th but I have seen some with great results at the 2-3 node.

Yeah man, me too! lol. This is my first grow and I have made some mistakes. Maybe this will be another mistake but I figured I might as well give it a try. Hoping for the best

Yeah man, me too! lol. This is my first grow and I have made some mistakes. Maybe this will be another mistake but I figured I might as well give it a try. Hoping for the best

I'm sure you will succeed. Remember it's a weed and very resistant to what we do to them.

I need to remember that for sure instead of worrying. Just want to have a good grow before I get really busy with work this summer. If I am successful, it will be a much better work season ;)

You will do great and hopefully you will have enough meds to last the whole summer. What's incredible about the plants is how quickly they recover. I snapped a branch off while LST. I put it back on and glued it in place with Elmer's Wood Glue. It healed within a couple days and is growing nicely.

You will do great and hopefully you will have enough meds to last the whole summer. What's incredible about the plants is how quickly they recover. I snapped a branch off while LST. I put it back on and glued it in place with Elmer's Wood Glue. It healed within a couple days and is growing nicely.

Lucky for me they are resilient. First time growing. Took a while to get the height for the lights. Too far at first then 18 inches was too much so I moved up to 24. They did much better. Now that they are bigger going down to 20 inches to see how they do. Been a fun experiment if nothing else.

Lucky for me they are resilient. First time growing. Took a while to get the height for the lights. Too far at first then 18 inches was too much so I moved up to 24. They did much better. Now that they are bigger going down to 20 inches to see how they do. Been a fun experiment if nothing else.

I'm also at about 24" and they seem to like it. A good way to tell the distance is to put the back of your hand under the light at the distance it will be from the plant. If you feel too much heat pull back a little.

I am starting to think maybe I screwed up topping one of my plants. The 4th node was coming out of the 3rd but the stem did not rise above the 3rd very far. There was no growth on the sides where the future sites would be. I took the top with small fly tying scissors and i thought it came off cleanly. Looking at it now I am not sure I did it right ��The other looks fine as I can see the growth coming out of the Y's.
20180213_185325.jpg
20180216_080710.jpg
20180216_080737.jpg

I am starting to think maybe I screwed up topping one of my plants. The 4th node was coming out of the 3rd but the stem did not rise above the 3rd very far. There was no growth on the sides where the future sites would be. I took the top with small fly tying scissors and i thought it came off cleanly. Looking at it now I am not sure I did it right ��The other looks fine as I can see the growth coming out of the Y's.

Looks like you cut off everything. Not sure how that'll turn out. Here's a pic of one of my topped girls from my last grow.

IMG_20170718_185435.jpg

Looks like you cut off everything. Not sure how that'll turn out. Here's a pic of one of my topped girls from my last grow.

IMG_20170718_185435.jpg

Shit. That is what I was worried about. I didn't see anything on the sides like your pic. There was no growth there. Just the piece that I cut going perpendicular to the 3rd node. Hmmm oh well, I guess it is too late now. Live and learn

Shit. That is what I was worried about. I didn't see anything on the sides like your pic. There was no growth there. Just the piece that I cut going perpendicular to the 3rd node. Hmmm oh well, I guess it is too late now. Live and learn

As long as there is part leaf left it will still grow. In the long run it won't actually effect it too much. The growth might be slightly slower due to the reduced fan leaf size from where you cut it. I know this because I did the EXACT same thing on my last grow

As long as there is part leaf left it will still grow. In the long run it won’t actually effect it too much. The growth might be slightly slower due to the reduced fan leaf size from where you cut it. I know this because I did the EXACT same thing on my last grow

Cool man. Thanks for the reassurance. I have been kicking myself all day. As long as I can get some good bud from it, I am good. As a first time grower, I knew I would experience some bumps along the road lol

Looked like you may have FIMed it (Fuck I Missed It) and not gotten the full top off. I would let it go. Sometimes Fiming creates multiple shoots. I can see the new shoots on both side so your good.

I accidently Fimed one yesterday. I waited a day and then snipped it off a little lower making sure not to snip the new shoots that were forming.

Looked like you may have FIMed it (Fuck I Missed It) and not gotten the full top off. I would let it go. Sometimes Fiming creates multiple shoots. I can see the new shoots on both side so your good.

I accidently Fimed one yesterday. I waited a day and then snipped it off a little lower making sure not to snip the new shoots that were forming.

Haha ok. I will just let it go since I clearly don't know what I am doing lol. They look healthy otherwise and I haven't killed them yet so I have tht going for me

Haha ok. I will just let it go since I clearly don't know what I am doing lol. They look healthy otherwise and I haven't killed them yet so I have tht going for me

Your not the first nor the last. It is a bit easier after you have done it a couple times.

These pictures may help to know where to snip.

56A6B8B8-95C7-4D37-A1AF-30E6456805C6.png

9DEC1486-1B8F-4994-AB58-712960ADE84E.png

Back
Top Bottom