The New Autoflower Topping Thread

Here and ready to learn. I've topped a few auto's with great success, and others without. Good genetics are the most important thing when it comes to the stability of topping an auto strain :thumb:

Here is a Fast Buds Pineapple Express Auto that went 55 days and yielded just over 2 oz. Topped at 10 days and LST'd her to keep her below 12"

420-magazine-mobile882618051.jpg
how? any tips

I love to look at these Auto plants that have been topped successfully! I have had some good results and some not as good! Genetics surely plays a role here! Some varieties yield very well when not topped and grown closer together(packed side to side) though there are more plants, the yield per sq. Ft. may be better than far fewer plants topped and worked religiously! Also, some plants show pistils in three weeks. Topping and LST usually make beautiful heavy plants! I think I am getting lazy and less work is my new goal! Anyway, when I am feeling frisky, I top and LST my autoflower plants, when I am busy , hurting, or tired, I may not top, but usually do a bit of training and trimming as I go along. Sometimes I just pack them into the tent and let em rip! With good results!(over two pounds dry cured bud per 4x4 tent,with little effort) I have grown some monster buds both ways, but topping is a sure fired way of getting more bud sites, and likely to nicely increase your yield per plant. Keep up the good work everybody!

It's looks like she's ready to be topped Askhole, I Top as soon as the forth node is clear enough to get snippers in there to do the deed. With autos it needs to be done by day 21 at the latest, usually right around day 14. It depends on the strain and grow conditions but most are done at the two week mark. If you can get the snippers in, then it's time. Post a pic once you've chopped that top off, steady hands make things easier in tight spots. Goodluck Askhole, you'll do great!

KiG :green_heart:cheers
Solid advice! Some plants are too far into flowering in three weeks! I'd like to add, please don't be afraid to mess up a few along the way, for those new to topping autos! They still will crop some buds and you are gaining knowledge and experience! I also, want to hear about more auto strains that do very well , especially when organic soil grown. BTW, shaky hands and poor eyesight is making it more difficult for me, these days, but I accept a few mistakes!

Hey Tim, I grew two auto fem strains from Crop King, the low flyer from Spain and a CBD cheese. both were quite short and started flowering fast, good thing too because I have limited light - outside and yes organic. I also topped all four plants because the tops were maturing while other buds were not ready yet. This gave me a chance to sample some, and they are nice, tasty. I also love smelling them on the plant, very fragrant so intoxicating!

The buds were quite large so when I topped them I had to dig in a bit to get the mature portion of the bud while leaving the lower stuff that was still growing with white stamens. Got a bit sticky! Want pictures?

Hello CoastRoaster! I love several of the Crop King Strains, for compact growth, fast maturity and good tasting, effective meds for me! I also have grown several other suppliers seeds with results all over the place! Some great! Some not so great. I have usually only topped Autos when very young, then employed LST and a little pruning, with good results. I have had a few negative experiences topping later on, that just seemed to reduce the crops bud size! I certainly have been known to lop off a bud a bit early ,though! I used to not keep enough, sometimes, to last generously till the next harvest! I love to see pictures of people's grows! I recently grew CKS White Widow Auto, Early Miss auto and Two photo plants(from other sources, Jawa Pie and Cosmic Glue. All were good! As usual, with my second grow for me of WWA and maybe fourth grow of Early Miss Auto. The Jawa Pie and cosmic Glue are very tasty and effective! WWA will be a staple in my auto stable, I think! I am starting CKS's new Lamb's Breath Auto, presently! I can't wait to try some good Jamaican Sativa weed again! Supposedly this was Bob Marley's Favorite!? I had a bad experience with CKS Auto Cheese about a year back or so. After almost 5 months it still showed no signs of what sex it would be! They were just over three foot bushes , very healthy looking but not even beginning to show signs of sex, when I grew inpatient and tossed them into the compost piles! I only have limited space to grow and wanted to move on! I may try them again now, that I have read from several people, that they are getting good/ decent results and maybe my grow was just a fluke! A balanced THC/ CBD with a mild but pleasant high and better therapeutic effects than most varieties claimed , sounds appealing to me , with my RA and other health issues. Happy growing!

Hey that sounds like you have an amazing garden there! So many varieties. I'm limited to growing outdoors, though fortunately just outside the back door. Still its small and partially shaded in the morning and evening so probably not getting maximum grow potential when I read about the indoor grows doing 18 hours of intense light. I totally love watching these guys grow and we have had some good sun but now in BC its been smokey so the light is way down. Yeah I liked that Jamaican stuff, only been there once and the first night our host gave me some that her son left behind before going to college, then my neighbour going back to the US gave me a bag for free of stuff his neighbour gave him from an outdoor grow and was my go-to for the rest of our visit, nice and smelled so great and smooth like smoking a fine cigar. Was so great to enjoy then go snorkeling, but I couldn't tell you what it was. As the old dealer would say, it will get you high! Peace bro

I would love to grow outdoors again! I just am to paranoid to do that! You never know who might see them and blab to the wrong person. crackheads or cops , I don't want a visit form uninvited guest! When I did grow outdoors, I had some big hauls and some not so big. Usually if you can get at least 5 hours sunshine you can get something! I have done ok, almost like growing shade coffee, some years ago! A thin grove of Locust trees and Staghorn sumac helped to hide the plots from the air and 4 wheeler's. The light shade ,dappled sunshine was sufficient to make decent buds on plants shorter, somewhat sparse but tasty and effective buds!

:rollit:Update! Just dried, a bit quick, a bud of the Lamb's Breath Auto, while waiting for the fresh crop to cure! First ,let me say,The plants look to have great genetic's with good close height and form across the grow. Also, the vibrant green buds form spires as long as my lower arm to the tip of my fingers on a few (all long and tall!), with true Gold and purple leaves framing the ripe buds with orange hairs! They are an inspiring and lovely sight! They smell (as advertised) sweet, finishing with a touch of citrus and spice providing a smooth pleasant smoke,both taste and smell is nice, even in this early fast dried bud! It can only be better when properly cured!:yummy: I know Bob would approve of this auto strain if he could taste it:ganjamon: The plants grew about 4 feet tall for me and even without topping or much training lots of buds grew into robust yielding plants. I topped(once) and worked one under a separate LED fixture and it yielded a bit more and the buds were a bit fatter as well. I grew 4 plants under T5 ho 6 bulb/30,000 lumens and got almost as good as the HPS and LED!:) Happy growing!

You don't need to bend them down so much, just keep them going out straight. Once the top growth tips start going you'll keep those horizontal aswell, and allow the lower branches to rise up and become as even as possible with the top ones. If pistils are already popping then your training is most important because the Stretch is about to commence, keep things staked until the vertical growth stops. I'm tired so if that didn't make sense I'm sorry lol. Looking good though, keep up the good work :thumb:

Silica is a very important micro nutrient that makes the stems and leaves more resilient and when they get older and thicker they will be much stronger due to the silica intake throughout the grow. I feed silicate with every feeding starting after the seedling stage.

Your mighty welcome keltic, this is the right spot for some reading. We're just getting started here on this thread, so information is a little light. But we can improve that day by day. Your strain sounds sic, glad you came to share and learn with us. :welcome:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

This silica yall talking about, is that what rino skin from AN helps with?? If so they have it down for use in flowering stages you think I can use that during seedling and veg stage?

I topped a white widow auto a while back. It was the best plant until I topped it to get it at the same height as the others. It became very bushy with too many leaves and the buds were more numerous but smaller. Pretty much a failure by my standards. Now I just leave the auto's alone.

So is this thread still open an active then or no? Cause I got some autos going right now an jus finished an auto grow where I made my own cross an some seeds. But right now jus running some normal autos not tryn to make beans or work on my crosses yet. I wana have some fat dense buds again. Since I was making some crosses and a bunch of seeds at the time my last few auto harvests have not been what I'm used to for quality and yields but that was to be expected when some of that energy was being used to make the seeds instead of jus bud. But now I got a tangie'matic and a bluedream'matic from fast buds seeds going in 10 gallon cloth pots. An I'm using dyna-gro nutes foilage pro and pro-tekt. An so far things are going good.
Well the tangy has a weird way about her when she starts out she looks all swanky an weird but she grows out of it and turns to a beast but here she is now see what I mean all weird n shit.

Then here we got the bluedream. She makes some dense ass buds and frosty as shizz to so very please with this one as well very fruity after a good cure an I notice the longer it cures the more the fruitiness comes out in it.

So is this thread still open an active then or no? Cause I got some autos going right now an jus finished an auto grow where I made my own cross an some seeds. But right now jus running some normal autos not tryn to make beans or work on my crosses yet. I wana have some fat dense buds again. Since I was making some crosses and a bunch of seeds at the time my last few auto harvests have not been what I'm used to for quality and yields but that was to be expected when some of that energy was being used to make the seeds instead of jus bud. But now I got a tangie'matic and a bluedream'matic from fast buds seeds going in 10 gallon cloth pots. An I'm using dyna-gro nutes foilage pro and pro-tekt. An so far things are going good.
Well the tangy has a weird way about her when she starts out she looks all swanky an weird but she grows out of it and turns to a beast but here she is now see what I mean all weird n shit.

Then here we got the bluedream. She makes some dense ass buds and frosty as shizz to so very please with this one as well very fruity after a good cure an I notice the longer it cures the more the fruitiness comes out in it.

Wow that blue dream looks really nice I have a ww auto from crop king seeds was thinking about topping it but now from what @Grassmaster idk what was ur seed bank for your ww ?

Wow that blue dream looks really nice I have a ww auto from crop king seeds was thinking about topping it but now from what @Grassmaster idk what was ur seed bank for your ww ?

I've only used Nirvana seeds so far. Auto's are only alive for 3 months or so. I mostly just like to leave the plants alone to do what they will naturally do. Often the most stunted sickly plants end up producing the best buds. Because they don't have many branches or leaves and the buds end up stacking up along the main stock.

Topping is for regular photo period plants. You veg the plants as long as it takes to shape them to how you think will produce the most. Ending up with a large surface area canopy with the lower stuff lolly popped off.

I've only used Nirvana seeds so far. Auto's are only alive for 3 months or so. I mostly just like to leave the plants alone to do what they will naturally do. Often the most stunted sickly plants end up producing the best buds. Because they don't have many branches or leaves and the buds end up stacking up along the main stock.

Topping is for regular photo period plants. You veg the plants as long as it takes to shape them to how you think will produce the most. Ending up with a large surface area canopy with the lower stuff lolly popped off.
So I have 2 white widow same age both are 22 days old today I topped one just to see how it goes cuz I have 8 more seeds of them so I just wanted to see what the comparison is so far 3 days after the top its growing steady hasn't slowed down at all so well see

Attachments

• 20190409_163000_HDR_Signature.jpg
    20190409_163000_HDR_Signature.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20190407_164221_HDR_Signature.jpg
    20190407_164221_HDR_Signature.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190406_160825_HDR_Signature.jpg
    20190406_160825_HDR_Signature.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom