Autoflowering vs Cloning

Underground

I'm sure if I sat down and did the math I could figure this out, but I'm sure someone has already worked it out, and I might as well gain from their hard work...lol.

The question is....

Am I better off buying, say, 15 autoflowering seeds every 2 weeks...(about a $150 cost...the $150 isnt a big deal to my budget), and every 2 weeks after that buy more, and have a nice cycle going?

or

Am I better off buying 15 feminized seeds, ...wait 2 months..and start cloning every 2 weeks, and cloning...and cloning...and cloning?

Either way with those genetics you would want to clone clone clone. Even if cost isn't a factor, consider maximizing your efforts. Depends on your intentions of course. I would suggest going with the stabilized fems and relying on them and there clones longevity instead of spending and spending for tiny autos that can provide inconsistent results. But this is just me, hope it helps your endeavors, good luck.

Are autoflowering plants as good as a fem? And if so what autoflowering stains are the best. I have considered autoflowering due to a lack of space and the quick harvest. I am just afraid to try them with out knowing a little more about them. I have read about them and they all say they are good but I would say that to if I was trying to sell something. Any info would help.

I dont know for sure..but, from what I've gathered...they are feminized. I figured they couldnt autoFLOWER..if they werent fem...lol, but I could be wrong.
The thing that sorta made my mind up for me...is 2Tango, mentioned 'inconsistant results'...I currently have 4 strains of regular feminized plants..and I've been cloning...I havent gotten to a harvest yet.. but soon. But, I like what I see from the mothers..so I think I'll be good to go.
Another point about autoflowers that I read...is that they cant be cloned...now I dont know if thats true or not, but its just something I read.

No cloning, they start flowering when they pop up NOT with the shorting of the days ( 12\12 ), it's their genetics that make em' do it.

But I have not tried to or have I ever grown one, seems a waste of effort to me...Yeah it's ready to cut in 50 days....But the most other clones are ready in 65 to 75 with more bud.

My .02 worth.

HD

Autoflowers can not be cloned because they have a built in 'clock' of when to flower, instead of being dependent on light cycles. So if you take a clone, it will still finish at the same time as that mother plant does (internal clock started when the mother sprouted, and is carried to any clones)

I decided on autoflowers for my first grow, just to get some herb harvested ASAP. Then took my time looking for some non AF strains to start as mothers and then clone while the first batch was going.

The only way I would think about spending more on AF seeds, is if space became very limited.

Autoflowers can not be cloned because they have a built in 'clock' of when to flower, instead of being dependent on light cycles. So if you take a clone, it will still finish at the same time as that mother plant does (internal clock started when the mother sprouted, and is carried to any clones)

I decided on autoflowers for my first grow, just to get some herb harvested ASAP. Then took my time looking for some non AF strains to start as mothers and then clone while the first batch was going.

The only way I would think about spending more on AF seeds, is if space became very limited.

Ah someone who has tried them. Do you have any suggestions on good autoflower strains. As I said before space is very limited thats why I am interested in them. Plus the fast harvest. I like indica's if that helps any help. I know you cannot clone auto's it just don't work well. Again any info would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that some autoflowers apparently do not stay small. I do not regret going auto for my first run, as they are not too picky. But they *CAN* get big. I do not know if it is something I did, or if my strain was extremely unstable, or what. But my little autos were 2.5-3.5 feet tall at 35 days from seed.

They went insane after I pulled the feed lines from the netpots. Upon doing some research, it appears that this can make some plants restructure their roots, and in turn, change what is happening upstairs. Two days after the feed lines were removed, the roots went from spindly little wisps to knobby fat cords that have twisted complete sections of the netpots and reshaped them. The plastic is now twisted and broken. This also coincided with flowering, though, which, as we all know, is when the plants put on some stupid stretch (even with the lamps only 8 inches off the tops). So, without a control group, I cannot say if the stretch or the change in netpot feed was the culprit.

Apparently the smoke from the diesel ryder is great, but my run of them has been a handful thanks to all three plants acting like completely different strains. Check for stability in reviews if you decide to go with them. Mine are far from what I would label as "stable".

I asked the same question on the Auto flowering, an as cloning go's. I have done that for a couple of years let say...
No 1 could really give me a answer, so this is what I did. if the funds are not a issue... :)

First I bought what I like in Feminized Seeds and here is my list from The Attitude Seed Bank... :popcorn:

Next Generation Grapefruit Diesel Feminized...
Female Seeds X-Line Iced Grapefruit Feminized...
Green House Seeds Super Lemon Haze Feminized...
Sativa Seeds N.Y.P.D Feminized...
Seedism Diesel Feminized...
Seedsman Seeds Purple Bud Seeds...

These are the free seeds they gave me on my first Order... :hookah:

DNA Genetics Sour Cream Feminized...
Dinafem Seeds Fruit Automatic...
Reserva Privada Cole Train Feminized...
DNA Genetics Sharksbreath Feminized...
DNA Rocklock Feminized...

Ok here is my second Order from Attitude Seed Bank... :grinjoint:

Short Stuff Seeds Onyx Feminized... Autoflowering
Short Stuff Auto Assassin Feminized... Autoflowering
Lowlife Automatic AK47 FEMINIZED Autoflowering...
Royal Queen Seeds Easy Buds Feminized... Autoflowering
Grass-o-matic AK Feminized... Autoflowering
Lowryder#2 x AK47 Feminized Auto Flowering...

These are the free seeds they gave me...
:blunt:

Short Stuff Seeds Super-Cali Haze (super auto)...
Short Stuff Seeds Blue Himalaya Feminized... Autoflowering
Short Stuff Seeds Onyx Feminized... Autoflowering
Kannabia Seeds Automatica La Blanca Feminized...
Kannabia Seeds Automatica Mataro Blue Feminized...
Dinafem White Siberian Feminized...
Reserva Privada Cole Train Feminized...
DNA Rocklock Feminized...

You know what, I am going to answer my own Question in time... :goodluck:

Does anyone have suggestions on good strains of autoflowering? I would like to try them but I am afraid to. because I heard they weren't that good. And they loose a lot of potency because of the quick growth. I would like them for pain relief so Indica strains would be my first choice. But a good sativa for day activities would be good to. any info will be appreciated.:peacetwo:

I dont know for sure..but, from what I've gathered...they are feminized. I figured they couldnt autoFLOWER..if they werent fem...lol, but I could be wrong.
The thing that sorta made my mind up for me...is 2Tango, mentioned 'inconsistant results'...I currently have 4 strains of regular feminized plants..and I've been cloning...I havent gotten to a harvest yet.. but soon. But, I like what I see from the mothers..so I think I'll be good to go.
Another point about autoflowers that I read...is that they cant be cloned...now I dont know if thats true or not, but its just something I read.

Autos' do come in both fem and reg seeds. You can clone them but why?
Autoflowers' are designed for small grow areas you get approx. an oz per plant. The reason you don't clone them is because it isn't any faster than starting from seed and as we all know you don't get as large of an harvest from clones as you do from seed. Autos' are ideal for "bloom boxes" as you do not have to be concerned with height and you can pack more plants per sq. ft. :peacetwo:

you do not have to be concerned with height

Don't bet the farm on that, hehe!
IMG_002115.JPG

as we all know you don't get as large of an harvest from clones as you do from seed.

Guido, I must disagree with you on this phrase. For me it's actually the opposite.

Clones offer greater consitensies from one plant to another and from personal experience the clones will always have tighter nodes than the plants started from seed. Tighter nodes means fuller and fatter buds.

When I start a garden from seed the plants will grow at different rates and sizes. This will create an inconsistent and unpredictable harvest.

When I start a crop from clones, I'm guaranteed that all plants will be indentical to each other which gives me a consitent and predictable harvest that is always significantly greater than a crop from seed.

Having the plants being sisters of each other also means that the canopy will stay at the same height which maximizes the lighting effectiveness throughout the garden. That in turn leads to each plant having a solid yield rather than having some fatties and some runts.

Clones are also a more mature plant which will lead to a richer and more bountiful harvest than what a young plant just entering maturity can yield.

For what it's worth...
This is not a intended as Auto vs Clone comparison grow but it is a viable example.
These three plants are all in Roots Formula 707 soil and are growing outdoors. They are all being fed Bio Thrive. The only significant differences are strains and containers.
The plant on the left is an autoflower Haze. The middle plant is a 14th generation White Widow clone. She is a clone from a clone 14x over. The plant on the right is autoflower RoadRunner. Both autoflower plants are freebies from 420 sponsor Single Seed Center's DinaFem auto promo.
The WW clone was moved to flower the same week the autos were sprouted. The autos were grown indoors under 24/7 of T5 floros until they showed their pistils.
After they wanted to bloom I moved them outdoors for direct sunlight.
4 weeks into it this is what the plants look like

000_05561.JPG

For what it's worth...
This is not a intended as Auto vs Clone comparison grow but it is a viable example.
These three plants are all in Roots Formula 707 soil and are growing outdoors. They are all being fed Bio Thrive. The only significant differences are strains and containers.
The plant on the left is an autoflower Haze. The middle plant is a 14th generation White Widow clone. She is a clone from a clone 14x over. The plant on the right is autoflower RoadRunner. Both autoflower plants are freebies from 420 sponsor Single Seed Center's DinaFem auto promo.
The WW clone was moved to flower the same week the autos were sprouted. The autos were grown indoors under 24/7 of T5 floros until they showed their pistils.
After they wanted to bloom I moved them outdoors for direct sunlight.
4 weeks into it this is what the plants look like

000_05561.JPG

Pictures are worth a thousand words. I stand corrected. Thankyou for the comparison. I have 4 Wonder Woman clones vegging right now and hope they look as well as yours do!! :tokin:

Back
Top Bottom