Baby's First Grow: Blackjack, Black Domina x Jack Herer, In A Closet

(DISCLAIMER NUMBER ONE: all of this is on a budget, don't expect a pretty setup)

christmas 2018: five out of five non-feminized blackjack seeds sprouted in their own pint and a half of black magic potting soil, and one in around a pint in a cut-off water bottle so i could study the development of their roots. the seedlings were placed under a 1x1ft 60w LED light for succulents until the LED strip needed for me to build a veg lamp arrived. i am leaving the light on for 24 hours straight.
(DISCLAIMER NUMBER TWO: i bought three bags of the black magic and found out later that it's made by monsanto so uhhhhh. no. don't like that no sir. i'm going to resentfully continue my grow in this soil though because it's already here.)
48406650_394063461367736_1915069056214368256_n.jpg

one blurry babyjack
49210869_478727609327913_7110249690590871552_n.jpg

big babyjacks a couple days before they were moved to the closet

1/10/2019: four plants have been subjected to the FIM technique and were LST'ed three days prior. one's growth was stunted because it was munched on by a moth, so i didn't do LST and just FIM'ed it when the next set of leaves were big enough and side branches were beginning to come out
(no pictures)

1/14/2019: i realized that i had the humidity and temps too high, hovering at 65-80% and 31C, and the plants' leaves were even starting to burn at the edges. promptly adjusted everything so that it now hovers at a comfy 50-60% and 25C. i have a feeling this might have stunted their growth but i'm not too sure about it
(no pictures)

NOW: all plants are starting to show signs of.. i have no clue. it just crossed my mind i can join a forum where people can help me with this kind of stuff. i do know that at this point they might be running low on nutes, so those are being ordered today. here are plenty of pictures
IMAG0001.jpg
IMAG0017.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0004.jpg

i'm unsure if these are signs of deficiency or signs of stress because the humidity and temperature were too high. can anybody help a guy out?

overall plans are to get these plants into 3 gallon cloth pots, main-line them, move them under a proper 300 or 600 watt LED once i get one, and then do some defoliation later on in flowering. hoping this will go well

Dont down the Black Magic based on who owns the company base it off of how it performs. I've used all kinds of soil until I found Black Magic I wont go back to anything else. Did you happen to see the ingredients it happens to be exactly what everyone uses to mix their own super soil. I don't usually need to give any nutes until flower with this soil.

ngl that weed looks like a vat of sugar cookies directly from the oven :bravo:

i was looking for ingredients in the first place actually so no doubt this stuff is gonna do wonders, but i just prefer to go for smaller companies when it doesn't come down to keeping everybody fed ya feel?
as for the nutrient discussion: HMMMM. keeping an eye out, i'll try giving them a little noot if they start to look any worse & see what that does. :thanks:

IMAG0028.jpg

(jolie olie voice) YEYUH
good morning california, pink #2 makes my face feel weird
IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

lookin like a watermelon. put a pinch of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) & 60ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide (weekly oxygen addition) in their water the other night.
IMAG0032.jpg

this one's starting to fill out nicely & even developing a slight smell. i decided to just undo the training since I'm already gonna mainline them.

IMAG0033.jpg

stubby post-fim leaves are cute

IMAG0035.jpg

moved the plants with the shortest internode spacing to 1 gallon pots. the one I put in the clear pot (now the wilty looking one in the black pot) was a pain in the ass to get out & I imagine its growth will be delayed a bit because of that

Nice start my friend

Plants looking a little leggy, may look at light height on em

Ya never talked about water???
Tap?
RO?
What's the pH???
thanks! the light i have right now isn't the best, in fact it's just a cheap 33ft LED strip that i fixed to a 2X1ft fruit box one weekend. I'm snooping around for a couple 300-600w lights that can do the job while only really being able to spend about 40-60 bucks a week (((that being said if anybody out there has extras knocking around, any kind of light will do :Namaste:)))
i give them 5.5ph RO water. still haven't gotten a hang of the watering schedule yet so i'm just going by feel, shoving my finger into the dirt up to the first knuckle n all that

i was at the weed store the other day & i told this pretty cool guy i was trans & he offered to change my name in their system when i did my name change which was valid as fuck!!! i'm not always keen on talking about gender publicly so it went super well. the first thing he sold me was a fairly sweet sativa dubbed Wakanda Grapes. the high literally felt like black panther & i should have watched it after smoking omfg. i'm high on Cherry Pie X Tangie right now tho. very very sweet purple nuggies, although a lil harsh.
IMAG0036.jpg

this garden looks more n more like a garden every day. i don't have a 3-prong timer yet so i have started coming in & shutting everything off for a few hours every night
IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg
IMAG0047.jpg
magnesium deficiency started looking worse so I have given them a couple epsom salt washes
IMAG0050.jpg
IMAG0054.jpg

a couple of undergrowth cuttings were taken too, why not

the other two needed transplanting but I didn't have more 1 gallon pots and no 3 gallon pots yet. they get the 5 gallon buckets i wanted to use for my first attempt at hydro. i didn't do the fimming right on these ones and they continued to grow upwards, so i did it again
IMAG0082.jpg

i'm calling this one "California Stoner Dies of Old Age Waiting For His Pictures to Upload Because There Was a Couple Clouds Over the Satellite Dish"

IMAG0102.jpg

god they're so stretchy
IMAG0104.jpg

GEE BILL I WONDER WHY.

tomorrow i'll be recieving a 2ft 4 bulb T5 and a couple 3-prong timers on the doorstep, right outside this closet. later on some lighting enhancements will be added aswell. the T5 is a step and a half above this as is & the aluminum foil won't be needed (if it's doing anything at all), so! doug's an exceedingly happy boy! depending on how things go in here over the next week i might make the 12/12 flip next monday..... we'll see...

IMAG0106.jpg

tried my hand again with LST yesterday. you can see holes in the soil bc for some reason i thought i could get away with shoving clothespins in it and have them hold, and i completely forgot to patch the holes up until after taking a picture a day later :rolleyes:

IMAG0109.jpg

and here's a quick snap of an improv germ box! i took out a seed and replaced it with one of the branches i took off the plant in the image before this. remembered that that seed in particular was in with a couple grams of flower that i threw in the oven for an olive oil tincture. still rushed back to the closet & tried to plant it because i was baked just like it lmfao
(also will the dispensary have a vendetta against me if the one that Does (hopefully) grow turned out to be from one of their own wakanda grapes? most likely not but who knows)

IMAG0097.jpg

last thing for tonight's update, male preflowers on the plant in the kitty litter bucket? looks like it but inexperience and a mediocre phone camera r making it impossible for me to be sure.

IMAG0112.jpg

yuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssss doug's an exceedingly happy boy indeed! the setup finally looks passable and the plants are happy too, more updates coming when they really start looking the part.
next week i'll pick up some mylar & staple it to the walls around the space. kinda sad my DIY fruit box LED didn't do well but it was super cheap so it's no big surprise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the other herbs and succulents do alright under it at least

IMAG0114.jpg

sad morning... after an hour of oggling with a loupe & saying "that's gotta be my eyes" many many times, i confirmed the consistent appearance of pollen sacs wherever there are noticeable preflowers on the 5 gallon bucket plants. it just hit me i've arrived on week 7 of veg aswell when i really just wanted to do 6. uhh

WELCOME TO DAY ONE OF FLOWERING I GUESS!!! :cheer: the mystery seed and clones are getting the flip too. i wish i could veg em, but as it turns out we're getting word at the end of this month on when we'll be able to move to colorado and everyone's eager to ditch this house. time to start hauling ass methinks

Ya sure it had sacks???

Usually don't fully develope until flipped to 12/12
half sure, half thinking it wouldn't have hurt to wait a week or two to see for real. i was almost doing double takes between a plethora of reference material and the plants themselves and it has me also thinking i just put too much tincture in the dinner last night

i thought the seed was taking a while... came in and checked on it because it hadn't come out even after the hydrogen peroxide and figured that it's just a dud. oh well, no mystery plants here

kinda late update w/ no pictures, i lost my phone again

hardly a week into flowering. the two biggest plants for sure have male flowers all over the place & i'm SUPER bummed now. that leaves me with just one small plant out of four. next time i'm at a dispensary i'll pick up a clone and throw it straight into flowering to make up for at least some of the discrepancy. there's a guy in town selling seeds for a buck a seed so i'll try to hit him up too, that way i'll have some supply for the next grow

Back
Top Bottom