Basement Grow Room Building - Noob

Hi TurboBucket, thanks for dropping by, I've been expecting you lol. I say rockwool was a "choice" more like it was my only choice, surplus gear thanks to my buddy and his connections to the building trade, nice and free... happy days. Those outlet connections on the main beam will be covered with a wooden box, other connections I've made would definitely be better off in water proof junction boxes. Apart from the 32amp fuse breaker on my main fuse box, 13 amp fuse built into my contactor timer, what else could I add "device" wise to my room for safety?
A GFCI, ground fault circuit interrupt would go a long ways towards keeping everything safe. By no means an end-all solution but in the event of any amperage leaks..i.e. you or your stuff getting zapped it will break the circuit for you. I'd suggest a PVC or abs seal Tite box over a wooden one but as long you keep it closed up you'll be ok. Where there's a will there's a way good on you for getting it done man. .

I know you were asking him but I'll drop my 2c before it's off to bed for me.

Fire extinguisher is always good. And a meter like a Kill-a-watt, which tells you what you're actually drawing, is very handy.

It can be a lot to hold in ones head especially if you happen to have smoked one too many before hitting the grow room. Now for me things tend to run like clockwork more often than not. But I remember in the past, staring blankly at things and always tracing wires here and there... Speaking of which- clear labelling is a real time saver - at both ends of the wire and at the device as well. I'd be embarrassed to say much time I wasted following wires before I figured that one out.

Thanks Weaselcracker, I just came up from the basement after doing just that, in there with my shades on gazing around the room for 10 minutes, mind blank, I did laugh as I remembered your comment once I'd come back down to earth.... I think you're right about the wires bud, I like to think i've ordered them pretty well but I know not much time has to pass before that order becomes a distant faded memory, I will be sure to label before I put the plastic up.

As for a kill-a-watt meter, sounds like something worthwhile in my case. I did a bucket load of research before I powered these onto the ring main loop, I unplug everything in the house on that ring while testing the lights as I'm still not actually sure what I'm drawing Amp wise, all I know is that the lights on their own aren't drawing more than 32 amps. I still close my eyes when I turn things on for the first time.

Every link in the chain is a potential trouble spot. I've had quite a bit of trouble with timers. Not sure what you're doing for that, with all those ballasts. The average hardware store timer is a cheap piece of shit that can't take much of a load, and also doesn't keep time well -and when you set up several in a room they all wander off in different directions. I've had two timers burn up in the past on different occasions, and it wasn't a good thing. Picture a black molten mass of plastic, black streak up the wall and ceiling, and grow room full of toxic smoke, and a smell that lasted for weeks. That's why I like mounting this stuff on fireproof board.
Also good to go around feeling connections once in a while for heat. Usually whatever part of the circuit that's running resistance- it won't burn out right away, it takes time. If a connection is getting too warm or you see signs of overheating- it's not going to get better on its own so watch out.
Actually while we're talking safety - if you want to get really careful, you can buy and setup automatic extinguishers/ fire control measures that will kick in if a situation develops. I don't think they're terribly expensive. Maybe worth thinking about sometime since the grow is in your basement.

Don't get me wrong I'm not super anal about this stuff. Just easy to say 'don't do it like I did' lol

Wow Weaselcracker, I can imagine the shock you must have got coming home to that scene. Personally, every time I've had to go out to the shops or something and left the lights on, I expect nothing less than flames licking from my windows when I get home, that way I'm always prepared.... lmao but nah, I live alone (seperated son lives with ex) I do care about the neighbors lol.

The timer I found under the floor was from an old water heating system that was once installed, not too old since it's digital. It's a Smiths TS1000 Immersion timer with a built in contactor, I only just found the instruction manual online, maximum load for this timer is 13amps/3kW.

IMAG003832.jpg
IMAG003928.jpg

Not much to add in this post, fitted chains to lights, they aren't in their final positions, leaving that till the panda plastic is on of course.

I have been out of work for a little while no thanks to ill health (nothing serious), hence why funds are low and life is shit, but hopefully, that's about to change since I have a job interview coming up next week, nervous as hell but I'm sure a wee dooby before hand will sort that out, never failed me in the past ;) peace out, for now.

Today I made my first trip to the local Hydroponic store with the list of things I still needed for my room.

List of items being delivered on Sunday:

20x 15L Black round pots
8x 50L Bio Bizz Allmix
50m2 Black and white plastic
1L Bio Bloom
1L Bio Grow
1L Topmax
20m silver foil ducting
2x Vortex 16" oscillating Pedestal Fans
Rvk Sileo 5 inch Extractor Fan
Rhino Hobby 125mm x 300mm Carbon Filter
Digital min/max Thermo-Hygrometer
PH Testing Kit

Now... I was always well aware that my lights are shit and substandard, but remember looking up grows done using industrial lighting with no more than a 150w hps bulb and they seemed to get results, OK not very big grow ops but there was something to yield at least. I've just spent £450 for the above equipment and don't have a lot more to to spend. Could anyone tell me if it is possible, in your opinion, to grow a good yielding crop with 10 of these lights in any way?

Without really knowing what's actually inside them, the pictures certainly seem like they would do the job. I guess my concern may be light spread? High bay lights typically have a pretty narrow beam pattern. I mean really though if your budgets almost tapped does it matter? You either run it or you don't right?

What he said. No way to really tell from here. I suppose you could get a light meter and tr to do the math, but...
You're going to do a grow with these. Then sooner or later you will upgrade to something more efficient, simpler, safer, better...

I think it was the guy in the hydroponics store who put me off attempting it with these lights, he said they would do for propagation and veg but that's about it, I know he's right, but I also know he wants a sale, I know they will grow something but flowering is said to be poor, but on the other hand I already knew that before I purchased the lights and it was enough to make me want to try. So, I'm thinking I will start with these lights, get plants to veg, giving me time to save towards 3 or 4 600w ballasts and some bulbs: I saw Lumii compact 600w ballasts on ebay for £30 a pop, would be easy enough to swap out ballasts without messing with light wires. The reflectors all have the e40 ceramic screw fixture so only other issue would be the reflector performance itself, I'll post some pics of inside reflectors when I get a chance. Cheers guys.

It felt like Christmas morning when it all arrived. It's going to be a busy night :) This week, possibly, I might be able to source some cuttings: Lemon Moby dick, I know a little about this strain from seed sites and a few journals on here, would be sweet actually because I did consider white widow seeds for their high yield potential and these apparently are crossed with white widow and a haze (like my memory of reading it) Royal Queen Seeds calls them Royal Moby, but it is definitely the same ones. Any of you guys had experience with this strain?

Wee update.... Used up all the black and white plastic on the walls and ceiling, man... I hate that stuff. I had this perfect image in my head of smooth walls and clean cut edges... Lmao... Pics coming soon.

I feel ya man that's how mine ended up. I could feel the train coming off the rails but was powerless to stop it.

I feel ya man that's how mine ended up. I could feel the train coming off the rails but was powerless to stop it.
I was lucky to have a pile of industrial double sided sticky tape sitting in the cupboard waiting for its use, every join is at least double taped, it made things a little easier and also helped seal where other parts are a little messy on the outside. I used a stapler and little square cut outs of white waterproof tape on all the holes I made in an effort to seal the room as much as possible. I believe that is the hard part done... I hope.

Still patching here and there as I go, still need to figure out sealing the door area as its as makeshift as they come. I had this vacuum situation going on in my room when I closed up the door, passive inlet at the time the walls were coming in on me lol, I attached a 240v cooling fan, which was ripped out of a disused sever cabinet, to pull air in, calmed things down a bit. Could really really do with vinyl or other for the floor but if push comes to shove I'll used taped up bin liners if I need to.

My temps in this pic are 79.5F humidity 26%.... It was at 50%, same as the rest of the house, before I turned all the lights and equipment on. Would I be right in thinking this would rise once moist pots of soil are added? My air in take is coming straight from outside but it's travelling the length of my house and so doesn't seem to be coming in too cold.

Your intake air is most likely still quite dry coming from outside. Yes the Rh in the room should come up when you add some sources of evaporation ie your pots. Wet towels hanging in buckets is a cheap way to bring it up. Ultra Sonic humidifier's are my personal choice.

Your intake air is most likely still quite dry coming from outside. Yes the Rh in the room should come up when you add some sources of evaporation ie your pots. Wet towels hanging in buckets is a cheap way to bring it up. Ultra Sonic humidifier's are my personal choice.

Thanks man, I felt the air coming into the room this morning and it was pretty cold, the aluminium ducting was very cold to the touch. The inlet comes through another section of basement before it enters this one. The other section is actually much better for a grow space but would have been too much work and too costly to kit out, it is 3.5 metres in width and more than 6 metres in length, not sure exactly what height but its much higher than my current area. I could use the space maybe to regulate air in some way, it has three inlet bricks, but at the moment it's very dusty in there and full of tradesmens trash which is gonna be a pain in the arse to clear out :( I'm gonna try and budget for a humidifier otherwise. Some pics through the hole my in and out ducting is now using.

Back
Top Bottom