Basement Grow Room Building - Noob

Few changes, moved main inlet position to opposite end of the room to extractor point, added a second inlet with a 12v pc fan to plant area which is only pulling in slightly cooler out from right outside the room. Testing temps at the moment with my light schedule: ON 20:00, OFF 14:00, extractor, inlet fans and air circulation fans have been left on while lights are out. I just popped my head in to check temps after an hour of lights out and its down to 68F :s I didn't want to but now I need to add a small fan heater to my room on a timer for lights out period... Unless I do autos and keeps lights on all day lol. Peak temp in room was 84.0F, still waiting on a first lowest temp. Everytime I think I'm getting closer to finishing, I find some other way to change thinks about.

Nice. Getting there man. I like that wide shot at the end. Realistically you can turn your fans off at night or short cycle them. Makeup air is mostly to replenish co2 the plants have depleted from the air. If it's dark they aren't using as much so you don't need as much new air coming in. Just keep the circ fans running. Later/or in flower I'd keep the exhaust with scrubber running to keep smells down. The only negative to stopping air movement through the room during cold nights would be increased Rh.

Ah
Makeup air is mostly to replenish co2 the plants have depleted from the air. If it's dark they aren't using as much so you don't need as much new air coming in. Just keep the circ fans running. Later/or in flower I'd keep the exhaust with scrubber running to keep smells down. The only negative to stopping air movement through the room during cold nights would be increased Rh.

Ah, good advice mate cheers, a timer on the extractor and inlet fans is going to be the next change :)

Hmm you did say
I'd keep the exhaust with scrubber running to keep smells down.

Hmm, if the exhaust is best never turned off I wondered about fan controllers to dial it back slightly or even using a thermostatic monitor which has power outlets for heating/cooling appliances, not too expensive for potential benefits.
This was mentioned in Guy Cavallero's Grow room build journal, I had already searched a while back for something that could do just that but we're all very expensive, this is the Inkbird ITC-308 heating & cooling temperature controller and is around £25 to £30.

This is the main reason I love my Hyperfan so much. Thermostatic speed control on an EC motor. That inkbird would absolutely work. Especially if you end up adding a heat source. Without adding a heat source you could get by with a heat or cool only thermostat to turn the fans on or off. Couple bucks cheaper little bit smaller. I've used surface mount units from them in my spacebucket builds.

Every fortnight the local council sends out teams to picks up large bulk items from designated points in the local area, most people put things straight out on pavements outside the tenement buildings.... This is where I find gold lol. Over the years I've picked up all sorts, usually anything worth salvaging for use or sale, lots of LCD/plasma tvs with broken screens can be broken down and sold as parts which I've had a little eBay success with. Today I found a couple of interesting and possibly useful things, two lamps, one would be useful for a clone/veg area, the other looks like some sort of aquarium light...

I've added a fan heater to the room during light off period, it was 58F in there after an hour of lights out and that's with the inlet fan off, will stick my head in before lights on to see temps. If I manage temps for the next few days and everything seems stable, then its full steam ahead.... If I have an issue with lack of humidity, would I be best to use a propagation type tray with a lid? I have so many worries and uncertainties about how to even getting past sprouting :s

Dude this has been a awesome read. So intrigued by your ingenuity. Same way I am make what you have work if not build it. But awesome man. I'm new to all this but please don't mind if I sub along.
Hey Phillygrow, thanks for the sub, everyone is welcome. Glad to hear from someone who thinks the same, I do enjoy the feeling when an improvisation goes well, but if I could afford to do it the right way I most certainly would, and with all the bells and whistles too! I guess hard times can cause a person to be surprisingly resourceful, in my case anyway. Thanks for the support bud.

Noticed when I got home that the fan heater I bought had a thermostat control... I feel like I've won a watch lol. After a little tinkering with it I ended up having to crank the heat up to 85F with the heater to set it right, I'm please to say I think I might have nailed it, heater switches on when grow area temp reaches 73F then off at 78/79F, I've found the sweet spot on the dial so hopefully that's one less thing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom