Beccabud's Cactus Garden of Spiny Delight: Peruvian Torch aka Trichocereus Peruvianus

Gave the San Pedros a cup of Geoflora Veg and flushed a couple gallons of water through the bag to rehydrate the soil as it's been over a month since I chopped them & last watered. They are doing ok considering how little light they're getting. Tomorrow I think a half gallon of water with 30mL of Jones Juice will make them happy and complete the soil soak.

20230705_183724.jpg

Gave the San Pedros a cup of Geoflora Veg and flushed a couple gallons of water through the bag to rehydrate the soil as it's been over a month since I chopped them & last watered. They are doing ok considering how little light they're getting. Tomorrow I think a half gallon of water with 30mL of Jones Juice will make them happy and complete the soil soak.

20230705_183724.jpg
The ones with the tops missing will be “pupping” soon I bet. I noticed today that a few of mine have 4-5.new pups coming up from their bases.

That whole pot of San Pedro is all pups and cuttings from one original cutting I got off eBay. No genetic diversity in that pot!
Once some of my pups get a bit older, I can fix that genetic diversity issue! Quite honestly I don’t know the history/lineage of my SP”s. They were planted on the property by a neighbor about 30 years ago.,

I don't have room for more plants until I find a roomier apt, but can I take a raincheck on that offer @Phytoplankton ? Yours look more like real SP and maybe not this "pc" var I think I have. To be honest, though, when I watch some of these videos on youtube about identifying "pc", they seem a little vague and all I can think is, hmm, DNA test and alkaloid profile studies would be more certain!

The Torches each got 400mL of water. Watered everything else in the tent, too, and the Pedros out on the deck got a nice soaking from the hose.
The Peruvian Torches are getting very tall. I've moved the lamp as high as it goes so I am thinking it is about time to take cuttings and propagate some more. ;)

20230809_195451r.jpg
20230809_195458r.jpg

They look great! The ones I got from you are plugging along, but very slowly, though they have lived their lives outside in smallish pots. Healthy, just small. At least one is going into the ground this fall. My SP’s are all huge, some I transplanted a couple years ago have 3-5 pups at their bases! (Glad I proofread this post before sending, I hate auto-correct, you don’t want to know what it did to “transplanted”!)

The one on the rear left is getting some super gnarly spines. I haven't poked myself yet, but it's painful just looking at those spikes, lol! Going to have to be very careful propagating these!
Then there's the one with the aerial roots. Now there are 5 roots poking out and I keep thinking about taking a root riot cube and jamming it onto them and misting it daily to grow a little tangle of roots mid-air...
Wow, I don't recall ever getting pups at the base. Always at the cut or thereabouts.

Speaking of pups... bigger spines are popping out near the bases of one Collana and one Sharxx, and it appears to be a precursor to pup formation. Super cool! I thought the spines for that node were done but I was wrong!
Gave each of the 6 peruvianus 300mL of water, 200 from the bottom, 100 top. Put a bamboo stake in the Sharxx #8 pot and tied it with a twist tie as it was leaning a little far over. They are all looking beautiful!

20230826_190806r.jpg
20230826_190821r.jpg

Gave each plant 400mL aqua and started leaching the soil in the first three. It's about time to up-pot them so this is a good time. They've been in these pots since Nov. 2022. Last night I did #12, the sole 7 rib plant. Today #1 and #10 got a bath and are draining in the sink. All three are from the Collana Picchu seed. #1 & #10 both have 5 ribs, however, #1 has switched it up to 6 ribs and #10 continues to put out aerial roots on one side a few inches above the soil. Tomorrow I'll get the other 3 done. Up-potting these is going to be challenging.

1Collana20230914_145425r.jpg
1CollanaClose20230914_145434r.jpg

1CollanaTop20230914_145700r.jpg

10Collana20230914_145508r.jpg
10CollanaAirRoots20230914_145520r.jpg

10CollanaTop20230914_145614r.jpg

12Collana20230914_131046r.jpg
12CollanaTop20230914_131216r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom