Outdoor Starfruit Grow

I think she's about 2m tall. I haven't measured the tree in a while, so that's just an estimate. I'll try and get an measurement soon. I'm hoping for fruit! I've got to start thinking what nutrients I should add sometime after transplanting. I'm not using anything special, just some organic soil and perlite. Might add some compost, and maybe even some mushroom spores. I don't want mycelium taking over the whole pot, so I'd have to be careful, lol.

Your garden sounds exciting, go ahead and share. :) Those plants are four years old? That's wild. I've got chili plants that old, but I've never had a tomato survive that long. Good work.

I think she's about 2m tall. I haven't measured the tree in a while, so that's just an estimate. I'll try and get an measurement soon. I'm hoping for fruit! I've got to start thinking what nutrients I should add sometime after transplanting. I'm not using anything special, just some organic soil and perlite. Might add some compost, and maybe even some mushroom spores. I don't want mycelium taking over the whole pot, so I'd have to be careful, lol.

Your garden sounds exciting, go ahead and share. :) Those plants are four years old? That's wild. I've got chili plants that old, but I've never had a tomato survive that long. Good work.

I remember when she was only 3 feet tall.

Yes my tomato plants are indeterminate strains and they will keep growing. Not like the bush type tomato plants. Sort of like photoperiod and auto cannabis plants. You can veg a photo plant a long time but an auto grows just to flower. A bush determinate tomato plant grows just to massively fruit once. I have been bringing them in every year and just keep cloning them. I keep trimming them until time to take them out and set up the hydro system I have. Tomatoes in recycling hempy's and greens in NFT and Kratky method boxes. I also started a Tabasco plant from a seed from a plant I grew last year outside in soil. It is doing very well with many blossoms, growing that in a 1.5 gallon hempy. Man, I love the hempy technique.

I'll try to get some pix tonight and put them up. Usually growing open in the basement under two 250 actual watt growlight CFLs. This year in the 4x8x7 foot tent under 900 and 700 watt Mars II LEDs and one MarsHydro 48x3 reflector model in veg mode over one Adrianna Bib Lettuce in NFT. My tent is messy sorry.

WJ

Oh, photos that aren't 420 related should be uploaded to the "OFF TOPIC" category of 420magazine. When uploading to that section, 420 branding on the photos is turned off.

Capture146.JPG

Sorry about the rant. I deleted them from my drive before email came from 420. I'll take new pictures and try again and upload to the correct off topic gallery. Hope you got to see the photos just in case. Almost harvest time for the Kratky box. It's a test for me and I think it has too many plants. But they are all growing nice. I can harvest anytime now but I want them to get a little larger.

I'd like to try one of those star fruit trees, but live too far north. Do you think it could be trained and live under LED lights? Do you know if two plants are needed to cross pollinate and get fruit, like other fruit trees? Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks for showing what they meant in the email. I have had a recent stroke and sometimes understanding things written comes hard to me.
:thanks:

Apologies to 420 for going overboard in my previous post.

WJ

No probs, mate. Looking forward to seeing them!

As for growing starfruit indoors, under LED....I'm not so sure as far as logistics go, because the tree can get pretty big. However, there are other trees out there, fruit trees, that have been dwarfed somehow. Wiki says the tree/shrub grows to 5-12 meters. That's pretty darn big to keep inside. A greenhouse may be more appropriate. As for needing more than one plant, well, I hope it can pollinate itself, because the tree I have is the only one I've ever seen in my area. I know a couple other people each have one, within a few miles, because I gave them saplings, but I don't know if those are still alive or not, and there's the tree I got the seed for this tree from within a few miles. I'd like to think they all are alive yet. Wiki says the tree does require cross-pollination to produce fruit, so it seems more than one tree is necessary. For the first couple years, if you can keep it trimmed way back, you might get a bonsai carambola tree that would probably do well under LED. Personally, I'd be afraid to cut on them, though, as anything done to a tree at a young age will alter the many-yeared timeline of the tree to be.I'd try to plant two or more trees. I'm hoping pollen from this tree can travel several miles, because I only have one tree. I didn't consider cross pollination until just now, a couple years after planting the tree, lmao. Thank you for reminding me. ;) If you were to plant a dozen seeds, get em all going in pots, you could probably set them in teh sun during summers, and winter them under LED, unless you built a greenhouse for them. Mine does seem to take a winter each year, dropping most of its leaves, at which point I water it infrequently, and give no nutrients. Each Spring so far, I think, I've transplanted it into a bigger pot, before the Vernal Equinox. Astro and Lunar calendars are important to me, and I think they're important to plants, as plants don't know what a Gregorian Calendar is, or what "January," or "July," or "September" mean.

I'll try to get more up later today or this evening.
Sorry I brought it to your attention. I always ask too many questions. Still time for you to start another one.

I have always been a Moon kind of guy. Plant by the moon when planting outside. Gregorian was made up by a bunch of monks. They wanted to get away from the more "natural" calendar and the pagan ideology. They would probably kill anyone planting with the moon, burn the witch!

I am headed to the Keys next week. If you have any suggestions of places to see, Wife and I would appreciate it. Just remember, I'm 65 in 2 months. With health issues that limit my walking.

Wish I could have a greenhouse. I grow my tomatoes like the big greenhouse grow them. I just can't let them grow 50' long or more. I have plans for a small greenhouse and might try to get away with it where I live. HOA's rules say no, but I might try the small one in my backyard or my back deck. It's 8'x8' and 7' tall and less than $100, not made of PVC and will withstand 50mph winds. Anyone reading this wanting the plans, PM me.

Spring is coming.

:ciao:

WJ

Don't be sorry, mate. A bad question is one unasked. ;) I appreciate the reminder you gave me of cross-pollination, and its importance in fruit production.

As for paganism, my neighborhood doesn't mind me following the Old Ways, but they're not going to allow me a planting blót, lol. For reference, see the latest few episodes of "Vikings" on History Channel. ;) I follow simpler methods, and exclude blood. Christians still want to see me burn, lmao.

Glad to hear you're taking some time in the Keys. Good place for relaxing. As for places to see, I'd have to recommend Islamorada for sure. I was there a while ago, more than a few years, and I'm not sure how it's changed, but I had a blast while I was there. I went snorkelling, fishing, ate a ton of (mostly sea)food. Had a lot of sex, too, but that's a whole 'nuther story I shan't speak of. Here's a calendar of events for the whole Keys: Florida Keys & Key West events from the Official Florida Keys Tourism Council

Thanks for the link brother. We'll be going through the Everglades going from Ft Meyer to Key West. Can't wait to see everything. And eat some lobsters and Mahi Mahi.

Question, I have a 4.5' Iguana my son bought from some company in the Keys on line 10 years ago. He was about 6" long when he came Fedex. My question is "Do you know if they would get me for letting the Iguana go in the Keys?

Good luck with those "neighbors", they've been known to burn witches. lol I live in Evangelical country. I absolutely hate it. I put up an outdoor Nativity/creche at Christmas and put up a little sign "It's a girl" and someone destroyed it. The whole manger setup. Smashed the statues and all, but stole the baby. Too bad Canada is so cold. No wacky religions there like here. Even Holland has been taken over by Evangelicals. See what they have done to the coffee shops and visitors?

You've got the Super old people in Florida. Shoot, I'm 65 in 2 months and I don't feel old. But I don't think like those 75 yr olds and up. They are the reason you didn't get over 60% on the medical marijuana vote IMHO. My mother in law turns 90 Friday. That's the reason for the trip. I'm so lucky. I let them know I was starting to use Cannabis as medicine. They agreed that I should be able to use what ever would help. Boy was I surprised. Can't get them to write to congressman or senators though.

Jabber jabber

WJ
:ciao:

The Mahi Mahi is awesome, and Grouper is, too. I've never eaten lobster, though, despite wanting to. Word is, Florida Lobster beat N Atlantic Lobster, hands down.

Are you taking I-75 or US 41 across the Everglades? If you take 41, it'll be slower going, but you'll get to see lots and lots of swamp, probably plenty of alligators, lots of birds, and other wildlife. You probably could get away with releasing that lizard, but if you get caught, there's stiff penalties, because many people do the same thing with all sorts of critters, and those critters often go on to destroy the local ecosystem. I would not recommend releasing the Iguana, unless it is truly native to the Florida Everglades. If it is not, then I'd recommend giving it to someone who does want to care for it. Invasive species are a very big problem here, usually involving pythons, but often enough also including non-native lizards, mammals, insects, birds, and plants.

I haven't heard about re-Christianization of northern Europe, only the Christianization that occurred about a millenium ago. At least they're not executing people this time, right? lol

Glad to hear your family is supportive. Most of my family is not.

The Mahi Mahi is awesome, and Grouper is, too. I've never eaten lobster, though, despite wanting to. Word is, Florida Lobster beat N Atlantic Lobster, hands down.

Are you taking I-75 or US 41 across the Everglades? If you take 41, it'll be slower going, but you'll get to see lots and lots of swamp, probably plenty of alligators, lots of birds, and other wildlife. You probably could get away with releasing that lizard, but if you get caught, there's stiff penalties, because many people do the same thing with all sorts of critters, and those critters often go on to destroy the local ecosystem. I would not recommend releasing the Iguana, unless it is truly native to the Florida Everglades. If it is not, then I'd recommend giving it to someone who does want to care for it. Invasive species are a very big problem here, usually involving pythons, but often enough also including non-native lizards, mammals, insects, birds, and plants.

I haven't heard about re-Christianization of northern Europe, only the Christianization that occurred about a millenium ago. At least they're not executing people this time, right? lol

Glad to hear your family is supportive. Most of my family is not.

Sorry about your family. That dang Reefer Madness. Really hard to fight that. I lost all of my family. But the wife's family is supportive of me in my decision along with my doctor.

I wouldn't really let him go. Just have feed him once. Son keeps cage clean. He is kool. Likes to be rubbed and petted.

Wife drives, I just watch. Doctor took my driving rights. We'll be headed across the Everglades and make stops along the way. We expect a nice ride. Can't wait to see it. It's on my bucket list. I have had Maine lobsters and like them especially lobster rolls. Good ones that is. Had one in Mass that really sukt.

Looking forward to seeing your country.

WJ :ciao:

Back
Top Bottom