Beginner Auto Blue Mystic, 550W CFL, In Coco, Cupboard Grow

Update! I planted today :)
After 36 hours hours of soaking in the glass jar, 4 out of five seeds were cracked open with a visible tap root, not yet long like if I'd stuck them in paper towel for another day or so, but around 0.4-1.0cm. They were planted a 3/4 inch down into the soil and watered with a half dose of CalMag, and a quarter dose of root stimulant until 10-20 percent run off. I covered the top of my 7L smart pots lightly with a plastic bag for humidity and turned on my 250w CFL at around 6 inches of distance (yeah?). The second 300w CFL will be added after I get two sets of leaves (yeah?).
Below is the nutrient schedule that was given to me by the Canna Calculator. Wondering what you all think. Annnnd, now we wait :)

Love and happiness,
OOGA BOOGA.

420-magazine-mobile1910968070.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1134659424.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hooray for planting,, great stuff, indeed,, put them nutes away, for now,, dont even look at em, maybe to read the pack maybe,, close yer eyes tho,,nothing for at least two weeks after popping out the soil.

You planted exactly as I do,, now,, watering,, you do not want wet soil,, moist only,, no watering till run off, too wet,, keep the top wet with a sprayer, nothing more,, just keep it moist,, i would remove the bags, no dome needed here, humidity not an issue with seedlings, so much

So important to not be too wet.

Now the wait begins,, hurry sprouts,, hurry and be plants please,, ha, cheers, great stuff indeed

Hooray for planting,, great stuff, indeed,, put them nutes away, for now,, dont even look at em, maybe to read the pack maybe,, close yer eyes tho,,nothing for at least two weeks after popping out the soil.

You planted exactly as I do,, now,, warweing,, you do not want wet soil,, moist only,, no watering till run off, too wet,, keep the top wet with a sprayer, nothing more,, just keep it moist,, i would remove the bags, no dome needed here, humidity not an issue with seedlings, somuch

So important to not be too wet.

Now the wait begins,, hurry sprouts,, hurry and be plants please,, ha, cheers, greay stuff indeed

Point read, point taken :) thanks, friend!
Question - does the fact I'm now using coco and that I'm air pots change that? The coco is completely nutrient free... still no nutrients for two weeks? And in regards to the amount of water/run off, I understand that the coco breathes way more (especially in an air pot) and that it's virtually impossible to over water. And just you must never let the coco dry out too much. I do trust your experience, though! What are your thoughts on all that?
Also, oops, forgot to attach the nute schedule.
420-magazine-mobile1152126761.jpg
420-magazine-mobile676412741.jpg

ok, my apologies, indeed,, i have zero coco experience, absolutely no idea about coco,, however,, soil has no nutrients either, important,, it is only a medium to hold the roots,, like coco,, soil used should be nutrient free

so, yes, no nutrients,, plants have all they need for the first few weeks in the seed with them,, and you know best or better about watering,, good stuff,, i will read closer next time,, cheers oh, and

oooga boooga,, ha

Update!
We have two out of three popped out above the soil only 50 or so hours. One is even starting to show its serrated set of leaves on the way. Exciting!
420-magazine-mobile617500075.jpg
420-magazine-mobile351457727.jpg

AngryBird, is there a way to change the title of the thread through the app, do you know?

welcome little baby.
Yes, do you have the little triangle in the left bottom corner of your post? (blog post...the star for reps and the triangle)
Press the triangle and in the window that pops up write: Hi i would like to change name on my journal to...
If app don't have it.. write a post here with the name you want and I help you. Will wait right here for your answer.

welcome little baby.
Yes, do you have the little triangle in the left bottom corner of your post? (blog post...the star for reps and the triangle)
Press the triangle and in the window that pops up write: Hi i would like to change name on my journal to...
If app don't have it.. write a post here with the name you want and I help you. Will wait right here for your answer.

Thanks a bunch! I got it all sorted :)

They have heads,, thank goodness, life without a head would be like a headless life kinda. Ha,,still curious about the soil you are using,, just curious is all,, i get that way at times,,

Looks nutrient hot still,, the wee ones look a teeny bit pale,, could be the light of course,, karma sent to them,, cheers

Oh,, and,, ooga booga

They have heads,, thank goodness, life without a head would be like a headless life kinda. Ha,,still curious about the soil you are using,, just curious is all,, i get that way at times,,

Looks nutrient hot still,, the wee ones look a teeny bit pale,, could be the light of course,, karma sent to them,, cheers

Oh,, and,, ooga booga

Ooga booga to you, my friend!
So, it's a soil less coco mix by Canna. It's called Canna Coco Professional Plus. It's shaved coconut rinds that have been treated to remove salts and that is it. Of course I've added in perlite, but it's pure coco coir otherwise. This means it's hydroponic in the sense I have to provide all nutrients to the plants myself. For example I'm already using a tiny dose of calmag in my moistenings and after another couple days once I see a little more growth, I'll start to introduce the tiniest bits of Coco A/B formula. Coco is good at holding onto nutrients for when they're needed and the aeration and drainage is so good that's apparently almost impossible to overwater (especially in fabric pots) and a bit harder to burn with nutes(though still very achievable if you 'come out swinging) so to speak.
At least this is what my research has led me to. I'll remind anyone reading that this is my first grow and that I am in no way speaking from any actual experience haha

Also, the 2700k messed with the white balance on one of the pics. Plants are looking as green as I've ever seen a plant :)

ahh, ok, cool,, you know,, that's maybe the closest up pic of coco i have ever seen,, i did not realize it looked so soil like,, how interesting, indeed

great stuff,, thanks for the info,, brings coco a bit closer to reality for this coocoo,,

cheers

Congrats on those babies!!:happy-birthday:

Awesome - our plants are 5 days apart. Should be interesting to see how our ladies turn out with our different methods!

Picture perfect I would say,, rise up wee sprouts,, good stuff ooga b

One week old today!!
The good news is that it's like watching them grow in front of me during this stage. Every morning they're visibly bigger.
The bad news is I woke up to some spots one the bigger one this morning. It's either nute burn or heat - they had grown pretty damn close into that 300w CFL. Either way I've fed them straight water this morning. Did I do it? Did I do the classic beginner mistake of fucking around with nutes too much too early?

A bit of research tells me these might just be water spots. I've been drenching these things when I mist them to the point where big old fat droplets are sitting on my leaves.
Sound right? Trying not to get too worried

Make sure you run your fingers over the soil and check for bugs! I had a leafhopper attack my Bubblegum Auto and it left spots similar to that. It doesn't look exactly the same though - so you may just want to validate that you don't have bugs by thoroughly checking the plants from top to bottom. I finally found the leafhopper on mine under the leaves hiding.

Best of luck! :thumb:

Actual pictures of the damage to my Bubblegum auto below...

DSC040114.JPG

DSC040104.JPG

LEAFHOPPER.PNG

Day 10 from sprout and the girls are looking good. New growth shooting up all the time, every time I take a peak they look bigger and stronger. The leaves that were affected by the water droplet hot spots have clearly not stunted growth, and all new growth is a beautiful healthy green. Lesson learnt - no need to mist plants really at all (the roots do a perfectly fine job of sending up the water thank you very much), and definitely don't let fat droplets sit on your leaves when there's a 300W CFL fitted with a reflector two inches away.

Thanks for the advice HillBilly, it was much appreciated. I did a thorough check for bugs. The good news is that coco coir is much much less attractive to pests and bugs and even mould - one of the many benefits!

420-magazine-mobile1543295881.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1869381814.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2099918982.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1808478431.jpg

Back
Top Bottom