Bennies and plant recovery

Whitebob888

hey ho was wondering if anybody has had luck recovering plants with brown roots from algae, and successfully gaining a decent harvest, with the use of bennies.

im new to the forum, been growing for a year been terrorised by algae all my grows. luckily not til the end of the last. im running a rc aeroponics chilled and aerated, currently 3/4 weeks into a 4 plant grow of crimea blue had light leak issue which i believe is now sorted. unfortunately the algae has arrived, i appear to have it under control with the zone and ive got some new rot growth from the base of the plant.
im going to introduce the bennies as soon as ive made up a tea loosely following the heisenberg recipe,obviously with fresh water no zone. the plants still look strong up top, slightly droopy but green and mostly strong. is there good chance for them to still come back and produce once the bennies get to work or will the yields be drastically reduced..

many thanks in advance.:Namaste:

It's hard to say without being able to see them whitebob888. I'm of the opinion that you do need some bacterial control in any dwc res to keep the growth at bay. I generally think of the solutions in three categories: Chemical, Biological, and Enzymatic.

Chemical controls like h2o2 or clear res (which is diluted pool chlorine), ect work really well, but they will also kill off all of your beneficial bacteria - which some people just don't want. (Also if you are using anything from house and garden including Roots Excelurator or Multi-Zen [Multi-Zyme in Europe], then don't use the chemical control method. Those products are enzymatic so using chemicals with them render them useless).

Biological controls like Heisenberg tea, Hydroguard, ect work using beneficial microbes for different purposes, usually the hydroponic products have select strains of bacteria that overpower all the other bacteria and in some cases actually eat other bacteria or fungus/algae.

The enzymatic control like Hygrozyme, Z7, ect work using enzymes to clean your res of any biological "build up". The enzymes essentially feed off the build up until they run out of a food source -similarly to the biological control method.

thanks very much for taking the time to respond iwltfum, i bit the bullet sterilised my res with zone for a couple of days light proofed everything again, got the bennie ingredient equivalent got brewing, applied my tea into some fresh de chlorinated water, some gently nutes and now, two days gone and ive gone from wilted tops and dark brown ponytail root mass, to the fuzzy white tips that i have today.
im super impressed looks like i made the right decision to hang on.. couldnt big the tea up more... will try and get some photos soon..

wish id done this on my last grow probably would have got an even bigger yield.. woop woop we love tea..:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom