Hydroganics and algae - a puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaGrew

Hi folks
got an interesting one for all you water lovers outh there.

im growing in organic soil, but with the roots growing down into a tub of clean water...
no nutrients are meant to be in the water at all.

im not looking for the standard rubber stamp answers of 'make it black' e.t.c

i am assuming that there must be some nutrients in tap water already for algae to survive at all.

the question is

will algae harm my grow because its not the same as hydroponics where the water is also the plants food.
all the roots need to do in my system is drink plain water and offer themselves as a 'rope' for said water to climb up into the soil.

established plants do this very well, i have some that are several weeks old that still dont need any water on the soil.

smaller plants such as seedlings require a little spray of water on top of the soil to prevent a bit of drying till the roots grow down.

so technically the roots in the water dont have to actually do anything, but any drink they get is a bonus.

im also thinking that algae in MY tank my actually be beneficial because the less food in the water the less work needed for ppm and PH management...all good for me since im not monitoring either in this style of grow. the algae should eat the traces and then starve.

Re: Hydroganics and algae...a puzzle

honestly mate i think blacking out pots is the way to do it. growers obviously do this as its necessary. algae isnt a good thing otherwise everyone would use it. it will damage roots. Im not a scientist so i cant say what scientifically it will do but through experience, and lots of it i do know its bad. Ofcourse i think its great for people to experiment and try new things but i fear u are giving urself extra issues that is easliy solved with simple fix. The roots will be light pruned and not be healthy and with start to rot and then more probs mate.

Re: Hydroganics and algae...a puzzle

honestly mate i think blacking out pots is the way to do it. growers obviously do this as its necessary. algae isnt a good thing otherwise everyone would use it. it will damage roots. Im not a scientist so i cant say what scientifically it will do but through experience, and lots of it i do know its bad. Ofcourse i think its great for people to experiment and try new things but i fear u are giving urself extra issues that is easliy solved with simple fix. The roots will be light pruned and not be healthy and with start to rot and then more probs mate.
Continued *Here*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom