GiGaBaNE's 4th - HydroGanics 600w HiD + Flouro

hey this is a serious journal there will be NO:rofl:

hey im half a day into a quit smoking attempt, im bound to leak a little personality...at least im still smiling ;)

wow if i manage to quit all forms of smoking untill my next harvest, it may actually render me senseless when i hit it again =D

I didnt have to quit anything to render me senseless:)
oh and I wanted to say hope the best of luck for you mate in quiting:)

just a live micro update for those awake at this time of night...so far 2 seeds have broken the soil properly and a further two i must have planted upside down by accident as the tap roots have popped up and then u turned back into the ground.

speed of soil breech is not part of my breeding selection proccess as there are too many variables such as how much you temped the soil, mini pebbles and twigs, dry spots, right side up or not e.t.c

but its a good feeling knowing it has begun =D

Nooooo!!!!!!!!!
I am infested with fungus gnats.
My organic compost bag was left open near the backdoor and they have moved in =(
missus has gone to town xmas shopping, ive asked her to come back with some pyrethrum. and sticky fly catchers.....lets hope all goes well.
now i know that it comes from a plant im not afraid of using it.

Just so people are aware, UV and high temps degrade pyrethrum.... so a little of both during flower should 'clean' our plants of the stuff.

the tobacco pepper spray I made for the spider mites I had wiped them out. I was told that it would also kill most any other unwanted critter you may get. you might want to look into that:)

lol I used the butts out the ashtray:)
it was a suggestion GiG:) and it works. so you can keep it in your hat for an emergency:circle-of-love:

thanks bro. take everything i say at the moment with a pinch of salt.

RL has thrown me a few curv balls today and im in a black rage.

nicotene withdrawal isnt helping one bit =/

im pissed at myself for getting angry and then again for caving in and buying a pouch of tobacco.

i rarely get angry but when i do , im not fit company for even my own family.

Yeah I know what thats like. tobacco is a nasty drug that can bring the strongest person down.
but you will BEAT it I know. then you can find something else to piss you off:rofl:

This is all so exciting! Thank you for putting so much effort into that post my darling, with that and the pictures it was a really fun and informative read.

I do love the hydrodoodahs ... I'm going for a basic 2L hempie a la DonPaul for one of my autos next time. Bit nervous but what the hell, right? ;)

I'm so excited to see how everything turns out, and I am very excited about the fact I have managed to contribute to the Giga World of Wacky Wonder!

:cheer: :circle-of-love:

FIRST LIVE UPDATE!!!!!
(seeds went into water 8pm 23-nov-2011)

:yikes:

Rooting for you! Damned bugs!!!

Nooooo!!!!!!!!!
I am infested with fungus gnats.
My organic compost bag was left open near the backdoor and they have moved in =(
missus has gone to town xmas shopping, ive asked her to come back with some pyrethrum. and sticky fly catchers.....lets hope all goes well.
now i know that it comes from a plant im not afraid of using it.

Just so people are aware, UV and high temps degrade pyrethrum.... so a little of both during flower should 'clean' our plants of the stuff.

hello boys and girls =)

this is a little complicated, but im going to merge *this* thread into my journal and continue it here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The matter of algae is a big one for all growers using water methods in their grow.

During this experimentation of hydroganics i have been infected with the stuff, cleaned most of it out and now have a small portion living in my perlite layers.

Under normal circumstances, every instinct screams that unwelcome guests must be expunged, and this is no less for algae.

I propose that in the correct scenario, algae may not only be harmless, but may actually be used to BOOST o2 to your plant.

now by no means am i saying that my way is the right way, im trying to be the guy that hands a doodle to an artist to help describe what they want...im certain that this lovely community could push this to its limits with an open mind, correct some of the fundamental flaws they can see and 'make it work'.

in my current test bucket, only my very first tank went pea green. im now confident that this must have been nutrient debris from my freshly made pots...my transition layer is far from a perfect barrier.
Now i have lodgers in my perlite, but the main water has not populated...there just isnt enough food.

this got me wondering if there really was any harm in the little bit remaining and did some reading up on how to kill it and how it lives.

anyways long story short...UV is a great way to kill it.
so 2 things to consider here
the amount of UV from a CMH bulb sufficient to do the job, but not total annihilation?
A water circulitory system with a uv scrubber in it (and something like fish tank filters to clean up dead algae.)

basically there are two sensible reasons why algae produces a net loss of O2.
not enough hours of light. algae only produce an o2 profit during strong light. so any grow using 12 hours of light or more per day should be ok.

the other consideration is decaying dead algae using up o2 to rot, im sure decent water flow through filters should fix this.

try to imagine a stream with a small amount of nitrates in it in the middle of summer tumbling over rocks with some pockets of algae out of the main flow and UV rays and plants on the banks dipping their roots in the stream to drink.

this does not sound like a o2 deadspot to me.

the other thing is about algae competing for food.
now for me thats not an issue, my plants dont recieve nutrition from the water, and unless algae wants to swim up into the cold dark soil to eat....my plants food belongs to my plant.

as for normal hydro growers that have root rot issues covered. algae wouldnt compete for food if there was enough for everyone...a seasoned grower could learn to alter the dose appropriatly.

long story short, algae may provide o2 for our roots and depending on the efficacy, may even save us from using bubblers?

here is a random article i read on some of it.

Why does alge produce a net loss of oxygen in water? - Straight Dope Message Board
(note to mods, i do not believe this URL to be in any form of conflict or competition to us, it appears on the surface to just be about thinking)

hey gigz whatz crackalackin'? interesting concept your working on i have read on this before and have an article for you to check out
heres a link i feel your pain on keeping up with journals if allowed it can consume my entire day and does eat up at least 4-5 hours a day regularly, i just enjoy reading them all so much its my favorite addiction ok second,third? favorite coffee is my all time greatest passion then theres growing so suffice to say i love hangin in the forum:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom