BHO Guideline: Your Help Is Requested

Teddy Edwards

420 Support
420 Staff
We have reviewed and are amending our guideline on discussions of Butane Hash Oil (BHO) to allow members to share information and advice in a responsible manner.

Below is what we will published in our BHO Q&A and in the BHO forum. However, you will see that we want to include on-site links to other, cleaner, safer methods of extraction. Extraction methods are not the expertise of current staff members. If you know your extractions, we would be truly grateful if you could post suggested on-site links below, so we can complete our policy change.

Thank you in advance for your help. :thanks:

Can I discuss making hash oil using the butane method?

Yes, as we recently relaxed our policy on this.

420 Magazine does not want to put the safety of our members at risk, so please note that using butane is still considered a dangerous method because of the risk of explosion and/or fire. Due to member feedback, we have reconsidered our previous ban on such discussions and feel that in our community of knowledge-sharing, the risk of danger is outweighed by the benefits of experienced members advising others on best practice safety procedures.

From a health stand point, alkanes, such as butane and mixtures of alkanes (petroleum ether) are actually relatively safe when exposure is limited. This class of molecule has a very narrow range of chemical reactivity, and is simply unable to react with the chemicals inside of the body. The main concerns associated with alkanes are from excessive exposure. Excessive exposure to your skin can lead to defatting. This happens because the solvents can dissolve the cell membrane, but such exposure typically requires prolonged direct contact (such as complete immersion of ones arm or leg in the solvent). The continued inhalation of high concentrations of the vapors (>>1000 PPM) can also damage internal cells via a similar mechanism. This is especially dangerous to the brain. Ingestion of large amounts of these chemicals produces the same effects as well.

Further toxic affects can be traced to unintentional or intentional impurities in the butane. Butane is often sold as a mixture with small amounts of odorants. The odorants are used to increase the detection of leaks for safety reasons, but when used as a solvent, butane with these odorants poses a toxicity problem.

420 Magazine takes no responsibility for those who choose to use this method, and we urge you to conduct thorough research and take every possible precaution should you decide to proceed.

Therefore while we do permit discussions of BHO we actively encourage the use of cleaner and safer methods such as [add links]

I found ya Tedster. And I'm off today. like Arnie says.....

ILL BE BACKKKKK!!!!

EDIT. I kinda misread the original post. Grandpa does some great tutorials on "safer" extracts. And the rosin is about as clean is it gets.

I know there are some bubble has makers too agemon and some others. I'll check my concentrate thread for any goo info.

Thank you, Grandpa. :thanks:

I have moved your excellent Rosin tutorial to the Rosin forum.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or comments regarding the new BHO policy and alternative methods?

Does anyone have any other thoughts or comments regarding the new BHO policy

Yes: THANK YOU! It's a real safe process if a modicum of common sense is applied. Unfortunately, not everyone seems to possess that, these days, so it's nice to be able to mention things like, "Hey, it's flammable." But use a source that isn't full of impurities, and you only have to worry about the butane - which generally doesn't stick around, since it boils off at around 30.2°F. And remember to keep away from potential ignition sources (lit cigarette, open flame, any electrical device, et cetera). Basically, do this OUTSIDE, lol, and float your collection dish in a big pan of hot water to evaporate the butane instead of trying to use a gas stove or even an electric hot plate.

When butane extraction discussions were verboten here, we couldn't mention things like the above. In other words, there was no way to suggest ways to be safer when performing the extraction.

Back
Top Bottom