Blueberry & Durban Poison Cross Project

Today i rinsed the coco in all the Blueberries. This meant a very light nutrient solution designed to reduce the runoff EC from what it has been. I was putting 0.5 EC in for the last couple feedings, but getting 1.1 EC runoff. Ideally, they will be equal, indicating that the plants are using what they're getting and not allowing nutes to accumulate in the medium.

In order to take advantage of the pH perfect, I did use the SensiGrow a&b to the water, but at about 1/4 strength. I added RapidStart, procal, b52, and Sensizym. All at diminished amounts except the b52 and Sensizym, which were about 1 ml per liter as before. The Sensizym is ideal for this application, getting in there and cleaning house.

All the Blueberries are in 2 gallon pots. I gave each one 1 liter of this rinse (EC 0.2), but got very little runoff. After pouring in 500 ml more of straight water, the runoff EC was 1.1. I dumped in another 500 ml, and got the Runoff EC down to 0.8 or so. Not wanting to keep adding more water, I stopped there. Baby steps.

You can see in the pics that they're looking pretty good. They were topped last week some time, maybe 5 days ago, and they're starting to Bush out. I think they'll go through today's rinse and in a few days i can feed/rinse them again. A they grow they will use up what's in the coco and we should hit equilibrium pretty soon.

Tomorrow I'll do all this with the Durbans.
The first pic shows blueberry #1. The last pic is one of the Durbans, thriving after being topped the other day.
P_20181226_111753_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181226_112512_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181226_112525_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Found some extra time today, so i rinsed the other autos and the Durbs. The nutrient mix was more or less the same as earlier, EC 0.3. After pouring 500 ml each into the Durbs, I checked the runoff. The readings were very satisfying.

The largest, most robust of them showed 0.6 EC, whereas the other two gave me about 1.1. This made perfect sense: clearly the roots in the most vigorous one were better developed, and therefore able to transmit more nutrients from the coco to the plant. Less nutrients remaining in the medium, less risk of burn.

I poured another 250 ml into the other Durbs, and was able to bring the EC of each down to 0.7.

They're all in the tub now, draining all their excess water. I think this is gonna work out fine.

P_20181226_163931_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181226_163940_vHDR_Auto.jpg

here are two pictures of the Durban plant which is leading the pack. Those 4 branches there are gonna be the money. When they get somewhat longer, I'm going to quadline them to develop a really strong base. These Durbans are going to veg longer than the Blueberries, so they will have the chance to put on more structure.

They are looking nice and happy! How long do you plan on vegging them
I'll probably flip the Blueberries in about 3 weeks . I'll let the others keep growing until i can collect all the pollen i can. Once the Blueberry girls are identified, my gf is going to take them to finish at her place, and then I'll flip the Durbs and maybe that Green.

it was bagseed which my gf said came from some green crack. So that's what I'm calling it, but we could be wrong.
Cool. I'm trying to get some bag seeds to pop right now. Still waiting, and waiting. Just kidding! I'm so impatient. Lol. Been two days now so the might not be viable. If not I have some purchased seeds I'll soak. Hopefully your green crack is a strong one too

Cool. I'm trying to get some bag seeds to pop right now. Still waiting, and waiting. Just kidding! I'm so impatient. Lol. Been two days now so the might not be viable. If not I have some purchased seeds I'll soak. Hopefully your green crack is a strong one too
it is. This seed came from a female plant which seeded itself with not a single male flower present, last grow. That plant was a clone of the best of the bunch from the previous grow, which was the bagseed. I do like the smoke, I'm actually glad it seeded itself. From what I understand, these are feminized seeds with no male dna. I got a whole bunch of em!

We're going to have to compare notes. Lol. Was the same situation with my bag seeds. Not a male in sight. Some have told me that mine will Hermie too. But I think it was from environment issues causing stress. Will be interesting to see how they turn out for both of us

We're going to have to compare notes. Lol. Was the same situation with my bag seeds. Not a male in sight. Some have told me that mine will Hermie too. But I think it was from environment issues causing stress. Will be interesting to see how they turn out for both of us
I'm pretty sure i stressed mine by overfertilizing. Week 5, one day I came home from work and all the leaves had turned WHITE. Like they saw a ghost. It's in coco, so i rinsed them with many liters of very light solution. For the next 3 weeks they got nothing but water with a tiny bit of Overdrive. Flawless Finish at the end. The plants recovered, , kept growing, matured, and the Greens surprised me with these seeds.

I learned a lot through trial and error last two grows. It's all good smoke and I'm expecting this run to go better.

Mine was from some buds gifted to me from a friend who grew them. He's not very good at staying on top of shit and neglects his grows. I'm sure he put the plant threw the ringer. Lol. Was good smoke though so I feel it has potential

One of the Blueberries is really setting itself apart. 6/7 look exactly like squat little indicas. For example.

P_20181229_184920_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181229_184956_vHDR_Auto.jpg

however, one of them is unique. Blueberry #1. Germinated and sprouted first, it's the tallest, and looks just like a sativa plant. I guess it harkens back to the purple thai sativa which dj short put into the strain. Definitely have to clone this one. Monster crop the monsta foqua. Also, I'll have to make sure to separate its seeds from all the other blueberry seeds.
P_20181229_184908_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181229_185010_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I thought it was time to up the EC, given that the plants have been up for a month but still the tallest is only 7 or 8 inches tall. I gave the most vigorous Durban a drink of 1.0 EC yesterday. By today. It had shot up nicely, its shoots double the length. So I fed the Blues and the other Durbs this morning, same solution.

Just now i went in to check and i tied down DP3's upper shoots to make a quadline structure. This one is going to give me clones. The plants look really good except I noticed some white spots on the leaf tips of DP3 which I do not like at all. Also, same on the sativa-looking Blueberry. Is this actually the first indicator that i overfed them? Any advice? Thanks. Like I say, except for these little white spots, the plants look very good.

P_20190101_143122_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190101_143244_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190101_144513_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190101_144525_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Next day. I have quadlined my two best Durbans and mainlined one of the Blues, BB6 which responded best of all to being topped. The quadlined plants have got their uppermost shoots and the two below them. The mainlined plant has only the uppermost shoots. Everything below that has been removed, so that no biological energy is wasted on shoots I would just remove later anyway. After tying everything down and pruning it all, i gave the 3 plants a good foliar spray with a light silica spray. Fingers crossed.

The first two pics are DP3, the strongest contender amongst the Durbs. Second two, DP2. Next, the mainlined Blueberry. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens here.

P_20190102_100111_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190102_100135_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190102_100530_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190102_100543_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190102_100253_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190102_100309_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Looking good overall. I think that yellowing on the leaf margins on that one plant is simply a reaction to some of the roots in that container starting to get constricted... not a crisis at all unless it continues to spread... just means uppotting is getting close and you probably know that seeing that the wet/dry cycle is starting to shorten.
thanks, Emilya! I do intend to up-pot the Durbs, which for now are all in 1G pots. The Blues are all in 2s, and i wasn't intending to go any higher than that. In a couple of weeks i plan to flip all the Blues and perhaps the one Durban that was not quadlined. The other Durbs are more vigorous, and I'm going to keep them as clone mothers until i determine which of the two really gives me the best results. Thanks for the advice. I'm a little surprised to see the leaf structure on the Durbs, because it is supposed to be a sativa pure or sativa dominant strain, but they have indica-looking leaves. Ah well, there's probably not a strain with pure genetics anywhere anymore, is there?

thanks, Emilya! I do intend to up-pot the Durbs, which for now are all in 1G pots. The Blues are all in 2s, and i wasn't intending to go any higher than that. In a couple of weeks i plan to flip all the Blues and perhaps the one Durban that was not quadlined. The other Durbs are more vigorous, and I'm going to keep them as clone mothers until i determine which of the two really gives me the best results. Thanks for the advice. I'm a little surprised to see the leaf structure on the Durbs, because it is supposed to be a sativa pure or sativa dominant strain, but they have indica-looking leaves. Ah well, there's probably not a strain with pure genetics anywhere anymore, is there?
Oh there are still pure ones, and landrace genetics are still available... but hybrids have been bred to grow just about anywhere. Sometimes the pure genetics just don't work so well unless you try to duplicate the conditions they expect from home... and that is outside the skill level or the patience level of many modern growers. I have a Mozambique Poison that I want to grow out one day soon that is one of those... people actually travel to that part of the world just to experience the almost translike high, and to grow her right I am going to have to duplicate the conditions of that valley in Africa. Kona Gold is another I really would like to duplicate, but without that rich volcanic soil and the tropical sun, it is very hard to end up with the single hit pot that you can get on the big island.
That being said, there are some very good hybrids out there... Jack Herer for example... hard to beat that plant for hardiness and quality.

Back
Top Bottom