Boy Scout Cookies - Local Seattle Strain - CFL/HPS - FFOF - Grow

I'd make sure that the light is 2 feet above the plant. Might wanna get a box fan to blow that air out or get a vented hood with a good fan hooked up to it. I'd check out the forums for other diy ways to make it better in there. Don't go giving up just yet

Thanks for the encouragement!! I think i really need a smaller light honestly.. Im gonna go talk to these guys and see about changing it out!!

I'd make sure that the light is 2 feet above the plant. Might wanna get a box fan to blow that air out or get a vented hood with a good fan hooked up to it. I'd check out the forums for other diy ways to make it better in there. Don't go giving up just yet

Also theres no way i could get this light that close!! It would catch the plant on fire lol!!

See if they can hook you up with a dimmable ballast. Most first grows are a major learning experience. Plus, if ya give up now your girl will be even more pissed about the money you spent lol. It gets easier, and you have a giant community here to help you every step of the way

I've been growing on a budget too, and our electricity bill falls into that category, which is why I had to go with led. Hope you get something good there

Hey man hows it going? A ballast is the big black or grey box that converts the energy to a usable form for your light. A dimmable ballast is the aforementioned box but it has the ability for you to manually switch it to 100,80,60,40% of the lights full power. Since hot air rises what I do to control my heat is have 1 oscillating fan as well as a box fan or desk fan aimed at the the underneath of the light so it blows the heat up above the light and not below it. Starting off you are gonna get frustrated and some or even a lot of your plants will die but I assure you once you get through this phase you will be growing a lot better and it will be rare a plant will die from neglect or to much attention. Youtube has a lot of good quality videos so if you get tired of reading like I do sometimes switch it up to videos sometimes a combo of the 2 will help you retain more information on the subject at hand. I am contemplating making youtube videos but my desire to stay protected is outweighing that decision sadly. Have you done the hand test? Hold your hand underneath the light to the distance where you think the plants will be fine and not burn from the light. Hold your hand under the light for a minute if it doesnt feel to hot and uncomfortable then that means the plants will be fine. Keep trying at different heights with your hand. When your hand gets uncomfortably hot then you know its to close and go from there. When your plants havent been watered pick up the container a few times to get used to that weight. That will tell you when the plants need watered. Marijuana doesnt like wet feet. In other words the roots want access to the water but they really dont like sitting in it(soil only) So when you water make sure it is more then enough for a few days in 1 watering verses watering many times throughout the week except when the plant is a baby you will want to mist the leaves sometimes and mist the dirt several times in a week until the plan gets more leaves. The more leaves your plant has then the more water you should give it. This way of watering will keep the roots growing to stretch and look for water as the plant dries out. Bigger healthier roots will always mean a bigger healthier plant which often means bigger yields. One more thing when you water the plant only mist the leaves within 30 minutes of the light coming on or 30 minutes before they come on because those water droplets will magnify the light and burn it to a crisp as far as hps lights are concerned. Always clean dust and fingerprints off the bulb itself as well as the glass enclosure the light is in. You can lose as much as 40% of the light with fingerprints and crap so keep it clean. The ballast generates a lot of heat and so it is best to keep that out of the room where you are growing that will trim off 6-15 degrees right there. I guess this is good for now I will come back to see how you do.

Ok so i talked to the grow store guy and hes gonna hold the plant for me for a couple weeks.. Inwas suppossed to wait till the 15th to do thks but i get to anxious and just do shit without a proper setup.. So ill build up the stuff i need over the next couple weeks then buy some new clones and go from there.. Ima build me a 6x6 grow aread in the room that way its not in the closet and i can control the temps a lil better..

Awesome. Glad you were able to get some clarity while you were out. Take your time getting set up, but once your plants grow bigger it'll be a never ending cycle of diy improvements. Enjoy the fun, it becomes very zen when you get into a groove

Hey man hows it going? A ballast is the big black or grey box that converts the energy to a usable form for your light. A dimmable ballast is the aforementioned box but it has the ability for you to manually switch it to 100,80,60,40% of the lights full power. Since hot air rises what I do to control my heat is have 1 oscillating fan as well as a box fan or desk fan aimed at the the underneath of the light so it blows the heat up above the light and not below it. Starting off you are gonna get frustrated and some or even a lot of your plants will die but I assure you once you get through this phase you will be growing a lot better and it will be rare a plant will die from neglect or to much attention. Youtube has a lot of good quality videos so if you get tired of reading like I do sometimes switch it up to videos sometimes a combo of the 2 will help you retain more information on the subject at hand. I am contemplating making youtube videos but my desire to stay protected is outweighing that decision sadly. Have you done the hand test? Hold your hand underneath the light to the distance where you think the plants will be fine and not burn from the light. Hold your hand under the light for a minute if it doesnt feel to hot and uncomfortable then that means the plants will be fine. Keep trying at different heights with your hand. When your hand gets uncomfortably hot then you know its to close and go from there. When your plants havent been watered pick up the container a few times to get used to that weight. That will tell you when the plants need watered. Marijuana doesnt like wet feet. In other words the roots want access to the water but they really dont like sitting in it(soil only) So when you water make sure it is more then enough for a few days in 1 watering verses watering many times throughout the week except when the plant is a baby you will want to mist the leaves sometimes and mist the dirt several times in a week until the plan gets more leaves. The more leaves your plant has then the more water you should give it. This way of watering will keep the roots growing to stretch and look for water as the plant dries out. Bigger healthier roots will always mean a bigger healthier plant which often means bigger yields. One more thing when you water the plant only mist the leaves within 30 minutes of the light coming on or 30 minutes before they come on because those water droplets will magnify the light and burn it to a crisp as far as hps lights are concerned. Always clean dust and fingerprints off the bulb itself as well as the glass enclosure the light is in. You can lose as much as 40% of the light with fingerprints and crap so keep it clean. The ballast generates a lot of heat and so it is best to keep that out of the room where you are growing that will trim off 6-15 degrees right there. I guess this is good for now I will come back to see how you do.

alright i got all of that read.. i understand the ballast/light differenece.. i guess its just easier to say ballast when explaining the light setup.. to me anyways. lol.. good info on the watering and what not.. i think im going to build me a 6x6 space or maybe a lil bigger in my vacant room. it is really difficult to get the temps down in the small closet with that sized light.. also im gonna buy more plants to soak up all those watts and also a better vent system.. also apply the one that you just helped me on by pointing it towards the bottom of the light.. i really hope all this stuff pays off!! its getting to be more frustrating than anything but i think its cause im moving so fast!! just gota slow down and get all the correct stuff then move forward.. exactly why i said i would see you in a couple weeks but then here i was a day later lol.. so ill still be around but getting my shit together then will either start a new journal (agian) or keep going on this one.. idk.. thanks for sticking around and helping though.. you guys are honestly the reason im still continuing.. i was gonna wrap it up cause my wife and i go back to school starting today and i also have work.. but once i get a set schedule things will be easier!!

Hey man, sounds like we have a lot in common. I too am working on correcting heat issues in my grow room. Right now I have a 400W MH/HPS with cool tube running at only 50% and can't get it below 80*. I just set up ducting for exhaust and have a fan being delivered today. My seeds are being stubborn and havent sprouted yet, but should any day. Check out my journal while you are getting your set up going, I will probably face many of the same issues. Including a wife that says I am spending too much money :laughtwo:

:goodluck:

Hi guys, I have a couple of ideas for temp.

Let me start out saying I live in a desert where it's routinely over 100f (today was 105f). I'm running 600W of HPS and 200W of fluro in a small tent (6x6ft). Cooling (or more properly heat exchange) is something I have been forced to learn about.

Your best options are going to be either LOTS of air flow and/or use some kind of refrigeration (like a portable a/c). Personally I use both, no matter what happens I have total control over temp/humidity inside the tent and its totally sealed with no smell.

I have 2x inline 600CFM centrifugal fans pulling my exhaust (hot air) from the top of the tent, through a carbon filter. I have a 400 CFM inline centrifugal fan pulling my intake. I took apart a portable a/c unit (3.0kw cooling and dehumidifying) to take air from outside my room and sealed it into my intake vent. I re-wired the thermostat from the ac unit so it's inside the tent at the same height as the tops. There are also 4 clip-on fans inside the tent at various spots to promote good air flow inside and avoid humidity dead zones.

The minimum amount of air flow you need is enough to turn over the air once every 3-4 mins. So add up the cubic feet of your space and figure out how many cubic feet/min worth of fans you need. Remember to reduce the CFM by 50% for drag if you are using a carbon filter.

With decent air flow over your lighting rig and then straight our your exhaust you might be able to keep temps in the optimal range, especially if you can generate good all round air circulation inside your room. Air cooled lighting hoods (which allow you to exhaust your light air separately and without going through a carbon filter) are also very effective.

If you live in a very hot area you might want to look at incorporating some kinda ac into your system. You can pick up a 2nd hand one and take it apart to make an effective cooler for less then $100.

Let me know if you need any help figuring out cooling systems.

Hi guys, I have a couple of ideas for temp.

Let me start out saying I live in a desert where it's routinely over 100f (today was 105f). I'm running 600W of HPS and 200W of fluro in a small tent (6x6ft). Cooling (or more properly heat exchange) is something I have been forced to learn about.

Your best options are going to be either LOTS of air flow and/or use some kind of refrigeration (like a portable a/c). Personally I use both, no matter what happens I have total control over temp/humidity inside the tent and its totally sealed with no smell.

I have 2x inline 600CFM centrifugal fans pulling my exhaust (hot air) from the top of the tent, through a carbon filter. I have a 400 CFM inline centrifugal fan pulling my intake. I took apart a portable a/c unit (3.0kw cooling and dehumidifying) to take air from outside my room and sealed it into my intake vent. I re-wired the thermostat from the ac unit so it's inside the tent at the same height as the tops. There are also 4 clip-on fans inside the tent at various spots to promote good air flow inside and avoid humidity dead zones.

The minimum amount of air flow you need is enough to turn over the air once every 3-4 mins. So add up the cubic feet of your space and figure out how many cubic feet/min worth of fans you need. Remember to reduce the CFM by 50% for drag if you are using a carbon filter.

With decent air flow over your lighting rig and then straight our your exhaust you might be able to keep temps in the optimal range, especially if you can generate good all round air circulation inside your room. Air cooled lighting hoods (which allow you to exhaust your light air separately and without going through a carbon filter) are also very effective.

If you live in a very hot area you might want to look at incorporating some kinda ac into your system. You can pick up a 2nd hand one and take it apart to make an effective cooler for less then $100.

Let me know if you need any help figuring out cooling systems.

Amazing info!! I will be checking out your grow journal for sure.. I think ill have to get me a grow tent and an ac unit like you said!! Ill be working some stuff up and will check back in to see what you guys think.. Thanks for the help and we for sure need to get rid of these wives!! Lol

Hey man, sounds like we have a lot in common. I too am working on correcting heat issues in my grow room. Right now I have a 400W MH/HPS with cool tube running at only 50% and can't get it below 80*. I just set up ducting for exhaust and have a fan being delivered today. My seeds are being stubborn and havent sprouted yet, but should any day. Check out my journal while you are getting your set up going, I will probably face many of the same issues. Including a wife that says I am spending too much money :laughtwo:

:goodluck:

Why do you want it below 80 that is a nice temperature for great growing

Why do you want it below 80 that is a nice temperature for great growing

I've always read/ been told that anything above 80* could cause root rot. I am at 80* with my 400w MH only running 50%, so it's likely that it will only get warmer.

I have since made a few mods to my grow room and its staying pretty steady so far at about 77* @ 100%

Wow a 400 watt is generating that kind of heat? Hmm is your ballast outside the grow room?

Wow a 400 watt is generating that kind of heat? Hmm is your ballast outside the grow room?

That's Florida for ya. Lol. All last week it was in the 80's outside.

Ballast is in the grow room, yes. Not really sure if I could move it anywhere else though. Maybe around the corner, but it would still be in the general area.

Check out my journal for pics of my setup

Back
Top Bottom