Bud Rot & Mold vs. Microbes

Apologies for interrupting the experiments with questions.
No worries at all about that. In fact that's one of the purposes of this thread. Growers asking questions that spark other questions and discussions which help flesh out the process.

So, ask away. The more on topic questions, the better.

Good morning SO. I’m in S Ontario and have also had quite a dry summer.
I haven’t started a batch of JMS yet and I fear I might be in for some trouble.
I have been spraying with ITS’ citric acid solution but it would be nice to have another piece in the arsenal.
If I read Azimuth’s guide correctly, I’m looking at about a week until it would be ready. Correct?
So ^^^what Azi said. I'm learning from him. This is a test remember. It may or may not be the most effective solution. We're here to find out.

Depends on environmental temperature, amount of starting microbes and amount of food source. During warmer weather it can be only two or three days.

The idea is to multiply the microbes found in your starting material. Master Cho, the 'inventor' of the practice says that the microbes will double every 20-30 minutes, so, you can short circuit that time by simply starting out with more microbes at the beginning.
Since it got cooler here I've been using more leaf mold, more like a small handfull and it's been keeping the bubbles coming more to my schedule.

This is a test remember. It may or may not be the most effective solution. We're here to find out.
Exactly right. @Bode has reported success using the JMS to improve potency and minimize damage, though not eliminate it. But, for all we know it could be something totally unrelated in his environment having that effect.

By broadening out the experiment we hope to narrow down the factors that can improve things for many. There will still be different factors in play that will change results like local temps and humidity, concentration of spores in some particular area, etc. but hopefully we can come up with something that is generally more effective than doing nothing and improve usable harvests in the process.

I’m down to try and minimize. Right now I’m just crossing my fingers lol

Two part question then-
Are there better places to pick the leaves in the back 40, shade vs sunny location?
And is it fine to collect them at any time, damp vs dry?
I'm not sure SCD. I try to find a moist spot(s) and pick from there. Figuring there has to be microbial activity. I expect dry would work but take longer to bubble.

I’m down to try and minimize. Right now I’m just crossing my fingers lol

Two part question then-
Are there better places to pick the leaves in the back 40, shade vs sunny location?
And is it fine to collect them at any time, damp vs dry?
Here's a link to a good video on the basics of leaf mold.

I just use fresh worm castings from my worm bin, but those can be scavenged in nature by looking for the small piles of what looks like dirt right next to worm holes in the forest or parks, etc. Really doesn't take much to get a small batch started. And, if you have access to good compost and/or a worm bin, microbes can be easily harvested with them.

Just be sure to screen your solution before putting it into your sprayer so the pores don't clog up.

I have one contribution for the Powdery Mildew fight; bare with me as this experiment was not directly perform on cannabis plants, but it was on a leaf of a tree with well advanced PM.

On September 9th I selected a leaf with PM on a section that was totally full of PM.
977876F7-2566-4193-B651-FB734EE40252.jpeg

I started spraying many things from horsetail microbial solution to my latest willow tree microbial solution (in hopes of obtaining some salicylic acid)
What is Salicylic acid? (Wikipedia says)

Plant hormone​

Salicylic acid is a phenolic phytohormone, and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, and ion uptake and transport.[51] Salicylic acid is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating plant defense against pathogens.[52] It plays a role in the resistance to pathogens (i.e. systemic acquired resistance) by inducing the production of pathogenesis-related proteins and other defensive metabolites.[53] SA's defense signaling role is most clearly demonstrated by experiments which do away with it: Delaney et al. 1994, Gaffney et al. 1993, Lawton et al. 1995, and Vernooij et al. 1994 each use Nicotiana tabacum or Arabidopsis expressing nahG, for salicylate hydroxylase. Pathogen inoculation did not produce the customarily high SA levels, SAR was not produced, and no PR genes were expressed in systemic leaves. Indeed, the subjects were more susceptible to virulent – and even normally avirulent – pathogens.[51]
Exogenously, salicylic acid can aid plant development via enhanced seed germination, bud flowering, and fruit ripening, though too high of a concentration of salicylic acid can negatively regulate these developmental processes.[54]
The volatile methyl ester of salicylic acid, methyl salicylate, can also diffuse through the air, facilitating plant-plant communication.[55]Methyl salicylate is taken up by the stomata of the nearby plant, where it can induce an immune response after being converted back to salicylic acid.[56]
EBA7FD64-4B66-4B19-9B04-634AB4C7801A.jpeg

For 72 hrs I sprayed non diluted willow tree solution directly on the affected leaf, 1 time in the morning 1 time in the afternoon.
This is the follow up on the leaf.
21381DE3-5F1A-47E7-8202-45B2AA69B357.jpeg
21F0C871-C4B7-48AC-80DE-9AF2C331E9FE.jpeg
C8FE9227-F099-4447-B940-7DD32337545D.jpeg

After that I added one tea spoon of roasted crushed eggshells in acetic acid (white vinegar) I had for months in a jar, so willow tree leaf solution non diluted + tea spoon eggshells in vinegar. Sprayed and this happened
7A33EBD6-C1CC-4638-90C4-18A3AF45E0B7.jpeg
7FCBF685-B9F5-4F58-95EA-75FB5F37BB91.jpeg

This is the same leaf after the rain washed everything,
3E7F3F9C-5E6C-4466-B89A-3F0CFE0696F8.jpeg

Finally I stopped spraying for several days and waited to see, this is the leaf right now;

AD5EB72E-CB33-4884-90AC-380C75989906.jpeg

I live in the country, so hardwood trees abound. I go under a big hardwood tree and start to remove the leaves on top. Just at the dirt layer, you'll find leaves mixed with dirt. That's what I use. Always works great. I also use cooked rice to feed the microbes with. I make the JMS in my cellar using a 5 gal pail and an aquarium heater set at 80 degrees. It's always done in two days! Happy Smokin'

At the same time I wish to add this link, in the read you will find information related to ROH or Reactive Oxygen Species, meaning the plants responde with several types of Oxygen based reactions within their biochemistry to protect themselves from the below described stressors; Biotic stress is where mold and PM fall into.
There is science behind the plants immune system and the triggering of self defence mechanisms to cure plants from Biotic attacks we have to understand how these pathogens work.

1663521794908.jpeg

Wow, that's a great initial result. Seems to have knocked it back quite a bit. Will be interesting to see if further treatments can continue the progress.

And, great idea on the salicylic acid. That's also found in aloe I believe, another plant that is often used for restoring health both in plants and humans.

What are your plans for that leaf, leave it be and see how it develops or keep on spraying with your willow mix with the hopes of furthering the progress?

Wow, that's a great initial result. Seems to have knocked it back quite a bit. Will be interesting to see if further treatments can continue the progress.

And, great idea on the salicylic acid. That's also found in aloe I believe, another plant that is often used for restoring health both in plants and humans.

What are your plans for that leaf, leave it be and see how it develops or keep on spraying with your willow mix with the hopes of furthering the progress?

What does the group suggest? More spray? Leave it ? The rest of the section of the tree is full of PM it’s pretty gnarly, I wanted to see if it would get reinfected and worsens…

I got good news too, I sprayed the willow tree solution to my plants on the last visit, I I will spray again today (diluted to 100ml per litre). I will post pictures of my findings.

What does the group suggest? More spray? Leave it ? The rest of the section of the tree is full of PM it’s pretty gnarly, I wanted to see if it would get reinfected and worsens…

I got good news too, I sprayed the willow tree solution to my plants on the last visit, I I will spray again today (diluted to 100ml per litre). I will post pictures of my findings.
Some of each? Can you isolate certain leaves or branches, some to keep on spraying, and some to spray a few times like you did and then leave? There's probably a right answer, we just won't know which it is until it's too late for the runner up.

Some of each? Can you isolate certain leaves or branches, some to keep on spraying, and some to spray a few times like you did and then leave? There's probably a right answer, we just won't know which it is until it's too late for the runner up.
I can do that and I can put stickers too so it’s easier to follow.

I have one contribution for the Powdery Mildew fight; bare with me as this experiment was not directly perform on cannabis plants, but it was on a leaf of a tree with well advanced PM.

On September 9th I selected a leaf with PM on a section that was totally full of PM.
977876F7-2566-4193-B651-FB734EE40252.jpeg

I started spraying many things from horsetail microbial solution to my latest willow tree microbial solution (in hopes of obtaining some salicylic acid)
What is Salicylic acid? (Wikipedia says)

Plant hormone​

Salicylic acid is a phenolic phytohormone, and is found in plants with roles in plant growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, and ion uptake and transport.[51] Salicylic acid is involved in endogenous signaling, mediating plant defense against pathogens.[52] It plays a role in the resistance to pathogens (i.e. systemic acquired resistance) by inducing the production of pathogenesis-related proteins and other defensive metabolites.[53] SA's defense signaling role is most clearly demonstrated by experiments which do away with it: Delaney et al. 1994, Gaffney et al. 1993, Lawton et al. 1995, and Vernooij et al. 1994 each use Nicotiana tabacum or Arabidopsis expressing nahG, for salicylate hydroxylase. Pathogen inoculation did not produce the customarily high SA levels, SAR was not produced, and no PR genes were expressed in systemic leaves. Indeed, the subjects were more susceptible to virulent – and even normally avirulent – pathogens.[51]
Exogenously, salicylic acid can aid plant development via enhanced seed germination, bud flowering, and fruit ripening, though too high of a concentration of salicylic acid can negatively regulate these developmental processes.[54]
The volatile methyl ester of salicylic acid, methyl salicylate, can also diffuse through the air, facilitating plant-plant communication.[55]Methyl salicylate is taken up by the stomata of the nearby plant, where it can induce an immune response after being converted back to salicylic acid.[56]
EBA7FD64-4B66-4B19-9B04-634AB4C7801A.jpeg

For 72 hrs I sprayed non diluted willow tree solution directly on the affected leaf, 1 time in the morning 1 time in the afternoon.
This is the follow up on the leaf.
21381DE3-5F1A-47E7-8202-45B2AA69B357.jpeg
21F0C871-C4B7-48AC-80DE-9AF2C331E9FE.jpeg
C8FE9227-F099-4447-B940-7DD32337545D.jpeg

After that I added one tea spoon of roasted crushed eggshells in acetic acid (white vinegar) I had for months in a jar, so willow tree leaf solution non diluted + tea spoon eggshells in vinegar. Sprayed and this happened
7A33EBD6-C1CC-4638-90C4-18A3AF45E0B7.jpeg
7FCBF685-B9F5-4F58-95EA-75FB5F37BB91.jpeg

This is the same leaf after the rain washed everything,
3E7F3F9C-5E6C-4466-B89A-3F0CFE0696F8.jpeg

Finally I stopped spraying for several days and waited to see, this is the leaf right now;

AD5EB72E-CB33-4884-90AC-380C75989906.jpeg
That’s why I always use aspirin when watering/feeding. Aspirin contains salicylic acid or something like it.

Back
Top Bottom