Budtheory - 1st Grow - Hempy - Various Strains

Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't find the exact thread, but I did find one on pruning. Really from what I gathered, during flowering the mother will use the energy stored in the leaves to grow the buds...thus when all nutes are used in a fan leaf if will just yellow and eventually fall off. As such, the mother prunes herself as buds mature.

So, unless worried about mold issues or pests...it seems best to just leave her be...bushy bushy bushy for the lady in the grow room.....I guess they can't all be trimmed up clean like a lady that shares my bed!!! :oops:

That's not Gator and some other peeps theory - they prune for yield. Get more light to the bud sites for one, but there are other reasons too that I'm trying to get a handle on.

That's one thing about our hobby, there's lots of almost contradictory but probably still good advice. Mainly because no matter what you do within certain boundaries the plants will do well.

When I come across anything interesting I'll let you know... meantime I don't think you can go wrong just keeping all the leaves as green and healthy as you can.

Take care BT!

When I come across anything interesting I'll let you know... meantime I don't think you can go wrong just keeping all the leaves as green and healthy as you can.

Take care BT!

Yes, please do.

Update:

I took one of the burned looking leaves off the plant, worrying it could get worse. Here is a pic of the leaf under normal light with no flash.

webLEAF.jpg

I then went to this thread (one of the best threads on this site if you ask me)

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

Miscellaneous Sick Plant Troubles[/B]

This picture is caused by temprature changing from cold to warm, cold nights and warm days.

Some varieties, like equatorial sativas, don't take well to cold weather. If you can keep the roots warmer, the plant will be able to take cooler temps than it otherwise could.
1134temp-changing-cold1.jpg

This picture is what light bleaching/ light burn looks like.
Only way to fix this is to Move the lights away from the plant!
Or make sure you dont go over 75 watts a sq foot, or your plant will have to much light and light bleaching can occur anywhere on the plant. (indica species seem to bleach easier than sativas imo.)

(Picture Provided by Boy Howdy)
1134light-burnt-zindica1.jpg

These pictures is what heat stress looks like.
Only way to fix this is to Move the lights away from the plant!
And get better ventalation, and or add more fans! Heat - If the lights are too close to the plant, the tops may be curled,
dry, and look burnt, mimicking a
nutrient problem. Your hand should not feel hot after a minute when you hold it at the top of the plants.

(Picture 1 and 2 Provided by Mosfed)
1134heat-stress-RD1.jpg

1134Heat-stress-2.jpg

So, yeah...it does appear it was just light bleaching...whew....good to know. I have the Lumen+ setting turned up on my ballast...maybe I should turn it off and just leave it at plain old 1000w?

I also got Mag-Amped from CES yesterday...originally I thought maybe a mag deficeciency, so I ordered this. Good to have anyways and I added it to my feed last night.

I also thought maybe a PH problem, as I do not PH balance my CES nutes. I just make sure the water I use is 6.0-6.5ph.

CES says to not correct the PH after mixing nutes up as plant-amp will cause a very low reading and as acids are used it rises over the next day or so. I checked my run off yesterday, which was the run off from the previous nights feeding. The PH was almost dead on at 6.0. Nice and easy...love CES!

Also I watched a little youtube tutorial on "super-cropping" yesterday, so last night I bent over several joints on a few different plants to compair yields between super-cropping and just topping a plant.

The CFL in my Veg is a 2700K. I have actually been using it to cause some of the shorter plants, indica dom probably, to stretch just a bit to get the lower leaves away from the soil. Seems to work well, and the LED does compensate by adding more blue, so it is not all 2700K by any means. Tongiht however I wil be replaceing it with a 125w 6500k CFL instead.

UPDATE

Veg Room:

I plugged in my 125watt 6500K CFL last night instead of the 2700K. Holy crap...In less that 8 hrs I can already tell the kids like it better.
I plan to get a better reflector for it and also to be able to hang it horizontal instead of vertical next week on payday.
IMGP1569.jpg

I also have some plans to make some shelving tiers....something better than the cardboard packing I am using right now.

fam shot including the new CFL in back
IMGP1562.jpg

canopy shot
IMGP1563.jpg

Seedling pic...I think she is about to explode soon. I am guessing Haze Mist by leaf pattern...but really what do I know about anything at this point...???
IMGP1564.jpg

bt clones are looking great. The leaf pattern is short and wide... almost kush-ish in nature. Although compare the next two pics.

1st bt clone
IMGP1567.jpg

2nd White Widow clone
IMGP1568.jpg

Not sure if you can see it but the leaves are very simliar in shape and size....

i will be stoked to finally get some well grown buds from her in order to try and place her genetics...or if failing to do that...name her by her flavor and high characteristics.

So...moving forward...

Bloom Room
BT mother (day 13) is looking better. The light burn is not on new growth. I added mag-amp (CES) to the mix and she seems to like it.

Also, tested my PPM on the run off. It was around 800ppm, so pretty good I think as it measure around 1500ppm right after mix. PH was 5.5-6.5

IMGP1573.jpg

Here are some more shots of her...
IMGP1575.jpg

IMGP1572.jpg

IMGP1574.jpg

And yes...starting to show buds...:thumb:
IMGP1577.jpg

IMGP15791.jpg

and up close...
IMGP1581.jpg

stay tuned....same bud place, same bud action

It is really 125watts, here is a descrption:
This is a High Performance 125 watt Compact Fluorescent Grow Light. Made by Feliz. This is the 6500K Blue Spectrum. Recommended for Vegetative Growth. This is an actual 125 watt Horticultural Grade CFL. Rated for 10,000 hours and put out about 10,000 Lumens. These bulbs have an internal ballast, have proven success in high humidity, And include a 6 Month Manufacture Warranty. This CFL grow light will only work with a mogul base socket. This CFL does not work, or fit, in standard household sockets.

And here is the hood I plan to get next week...

1667445502092.png

Hey BT, everything is looking great so far! Love the space.

One thing I thought I'd mention is that mirror's don't reflect light very well, they absorb a bunch of it. I think ditching the mirror would give u more light reflection.

Just a thought. I'm subbed for the remainder

:peacetwo:

Marley

Yeah, I have wondered... I plan to get a light meter and do some tests. See if a closer mirror gets more light to the plants than white poly that is further away.

I get paid next week...so sometime around thursday, plan to read the results here.

Thanks Marley for the heads up and something to think about and potentially make the environment better in my room!

UPDATE

OK. The last few days I was sick, and didn't post other than in the Growers forum on budding. Here is my post which I might as well quote to get you guys up to speed. I deleted some history in the post since if you have been following along, you already know about the origins of my mother.

In the flowering room:
Now, lets take a closer look at the original mother that I brought in...she is Day 15 of flowering.
I have been contemplating thinning her out though for a whiloe now, since when she was revivied it was from a budded plant, which caused crazy bushy growth.

Note also that she has started budding and I think I can see what looks like growth that will become big colas....but I also see other growth in the middle that is just budding slowly and would be small at best... it may be spider mite infested at worst. It even seems to trap dead growth, which I decided to really get as much of it out as possible and did a clean out job, when my worst nightmare happened.....

In the process of pulling out dead growth from the inside I find speckled leaves, my worst fears have been confirmed...spider mites. I put them under a microscope and see this:
mite.JPG

So, it doesn't seem to be too far spread. I have since cleaned both rooms, and the rooms that are connected to both rooms with Ortho Defense... spraying everything (except plants) and everywhere has been wiped down.

I have made a tabacco/cayene pepper spray that I am misting them with (last night and tonight) Wednesday I get paid and plan to get our sponsers product for spider mites.

But should I also go in and trim out anything that doesn't look like it has the potential to become a nice cola?
Trim out any leaves with mite speckles and improve the colas chance to get all those additional root resources, not to mention get rid of the mite infested leaves?
Trim it out so that it doesn't seem so thick that it traps dead leaves?

Help is much needed. Here are pics of the mother about 3 days ago. Buds now are full of little clusters of pistals sprouting everywhere.
IMGP1581.jpg

But from the side she looks like this...

IMGP1506.jpg

So yeah, spider mites in the flowering room. I had not noticed any in the veg room, but this morning I did confirm on a few lower branches of a NLxBB that it does in fact have some speckling on the leaves.

Tonight I am going to stop by a hydro shop and get some mite products. I got paid today, so that is good, I have been using a tabacco/pepper juice I made the last 4 days, but I want the real deal.

Floramite, Forbid, Avamax, SNS-217.....bascially I will get one or two solutions and hopefully nip it in the bud,...pun intended:)

So, besides that, my UFO 90 came in and is added to the veg room. The Procyon is definately brighter and has a deeper blue hue to it, but was also much more expensive. I think the 3 light combo though is going to work our stellar!!! I also built a shelving system so that I can tier the plants better.

Here are some pics:
Veg room:

new light added
IMGP1596.jpg

View from below... Procyon is angled so it doesn't look as bright..but it is brighter.
IMGP1597.jpg

kids under CFL I am getting a hood for it tonight or ordering one if I can't find one.
IMGP1599.jpg

2 fam shots
IMGP1600.jpg

IMGP1601.jpg

Bloom room:

First...the evil leaves inside the mother...
IMGP1595.jpg

IMGP1592.jpg

hidden in here...
IMGP1591.jpg

cleaned out the flowering room....took the big mirror out that leaned against the wall, but this angled one with its own stand provides good reflection within inches of the side branches.
IMGP15901.jpg

IMGP1583.jpg

IMGP1582.jpg

Some close ups of early buds.... can anyone tell me if the little sugar leaves should be coming in smaller and thinner than the fan leaves? They are slightly yellowish on the very top as well...
IMGP1589.jpg

IMGP15881.jpg

IMGP15861.jpg

Also, since it is payday I just ordered a PH meter so that I can get more acurate results of my ph and especially the ph of the run-off.

My ppm meters told me my run-off was way too high in ppm, so I am using 1/4 nutes until it is back down.

Also, I ordered the cheap Mr Clean Auto-Dry Car Wash System to use as a cheap water filter. I saw a thread where the tap water was at 300+ppm before filtered, and around 15 after. pretty amazing for a $14 unit. I got 3 extra filters for $8...so after shipping about $24 for the water filtration system. Not bad.

i will post results for you guys to see, when it arrives.

UPDATE: same day

Well, I just got back from a very productive lunchbreak. It just so happens that there is a Hydro shop near my work...so, I got a few things.

Brite Wing Reflective Hood for my CFL $35 at the shop...and no shipping charges definately beats ordering it online.

I also got a bottle of Hygrozyme

A bottle of FloraNectar Pineapple Rush

For mite control I picked up:
to kill them:
Floramite

and for maintainence
Green Light - Neem II

And a fogger from Home Depot to spray the kids with.....

UPDATE

Floramite to the rescue. Last night I sprayed down all plants in the veg room, and my mother in the flowering room. I acutally took out the veg room plants so that I could get underneath all leaves easily.

I then let them dry over night.

This morning I woke up early, 6am...yikes....and fed them. I didn't feed or water last night because I didn't want excess floramite to get into the water.

Anyways, I also decided to really hack into my bt mother, and anything that wasn't showing budding by this point Day 19 of flowering, I cut out.

I found alot of stringy little branches that were a result of turning the budding mother from this summer back to veg, when I brought her into the house. The left over buds, which is where the veg sprouts from, well it had tons of growth...but it looked like it couldn't really support phatty buds on them, so anything inside of the plant that looked measly or like it would make a good home for mites.

I got it all cut out this morning before I fed my mother.

This is what I cut out of her. Too bad I didn't trim, then spray with floramite, because I could probably have baked a decent batch of brownies. Oh well...
IMGP16211.jpg

Here she is all cleaned up...
IMGP16181.jpg

IMGP1602.jpg

IMGP1603.jpg

Can you see how much less dense she is inside? I hope this means more resources will go to existing buds.
IMGP1604.jpg

Like this one maybe...
IMGP1606.jpg

Or this
IMGP1607.jpg

Here too
IMGP16081.jpg

IMGP1610.jpg

one thing I might also mention, is that the buds on top, that should be my biggest colas, I would think, are the ones that got light bleached. They turned yellow and of course it stunted their growth from the stress.

Question Should I top them to make the canopy even and to get rid of the stressed part and redistribute hormones, or just let them go and maybe they will just recover in a few days? Thoughts?
Notice the difference between the top bud and some from the side of the plant?

Top bud
IMGP16111.jpg

Side bud
IMGP1612.jpg

Also, picked up the CFL hood for the veg room. Much nicer in there now!
IMGP1614.jpg

IMGP1615.jpg

I am supposed to get a "Rainbow" clone or two. Stoked for that! Rainbow = Urkle x God's gift x the Purps

UPDATE:

So, I am pretty pumped for two reason, at the least.

1st - spider mites seem to be eradicated by the Floramite. I also gave all the gals a Neem II spray down. the one two knock out punch,

2nd - I met up with a guy last night to get two clones of Rainbow= (Querkle x God's Gift x Da Purps). Both plants were already fully grown in 1 gallon buckets. I plan to transfer one of them to a 5 gal hempy on Sat, and the other I plan to get about 4 sick ass big clones from. Here is a picture of the grower I got Rainbow from holding two colas from his last harvest.
rainbow.jpg

So, beings the Rainbow clones where pretty large in the 1 gallon buckets, I decided to repot some of the other strains and start budding 1 of each of them.

I repotted them into 5 gal hempies. I hope it doesn't stress them out too much, especially since I put them under the 1000HPS at 12/12 right away. No room to let them adjust. I plan to replant the other few guys getting big, let them fill out for a extra week in the 5 gal, and them bud them.

Then compare and see if it really makes a difference at all if they are stressed that first week of 12/12 or not.

So, anyways the budding room got a SDxMK, a NLxBB, and a WW. A Rainbow should join them tonight as well. Day 1 budding for them all.

On Day 20 today of my bt clone.
Here are two pics of the 4 ladies in the bloom room, 1000HPS on 4ft light-rail:
IMGP1625.jpg

One with a little better color:
IMGP1623.jpg

see you guys again soon......

Back
Top Bottom