KSum - 6 Strains - 2015

There's been a lot going on lately. The 18 station hydro system is nearly full. Since autos need an 18/6 light schedule the hydro system has taken over the veg room. I ran a tube over to the bud room and transplanted the 3 youngest plants from soil to hydro. It took about 4-5 days for them to recover but they all seem to be doing great.

The Cheese Quake and Blue Dog were harvested because they were dying and drying up. They smelled and tasted like crap, but the effects were good.

A Purple Danish and White Widow were harvested shortly after that, after they recovered from an unfortunate ph imbalance that nearly killed them too. The Purple Danish smells and tastes AMAZING. It's just like a Grape Danish roll. You can even smell a hint of the icing. The White Widow is nice too. It has more of an earthy smell with a relatively mellow taste. The yield was larger too. 2 oz from the White Widow because it was super dense, and 1.4 oz from the Purple Danish.

A few days ago I harvested another Purple Danish, Charlotte's Web, and Blue Dog. These were much closer to actually being ready and should be fantastic stuff. They are hanging to dry and should be ready for jars in a day or two.

The last one that's close to ready is another White Widow. It should be close in about a week.

In hydro there is one Critical Devil aka +Speed. I planted 4 at a time but the other 3 didn't make it. I then planted 2 Sugar Black Rose non-auto seeds. I may turn at least one of those into a mother and try some cloning later.

Other pots have 4 Purple Express auto and 4 Blue Mystic auto, so for now I've got 6 active adult plants and 11 seeds/seedlings going with 3 of the adults still in soil and everything else in hydro. Since the others did so well with the transition I think I'll take the younger 2 that are still in soil and transplant them to hydro as well, just to speed them along. I figure I'll lose a week for the recovery, but being in hydro should accelerate their timetable by at least 2 weeks. (guessing..)

Here's some pics I just took.

12 of the 18 pot hydro system. There are 4 others in the bud room for non-autos.
DSC9375.JPG

3 non-autos in soil.
DSC9376.JPG

Bud Room
DSC9377.JPG

3 non-autos that were in soil a few weeks ago, transplanted to hydro.
DSC9378.JPG

The first auto that I ever planted. At 2 weeks I went ahead and snipped it at the first real node in the hopes that it will branch out and increase yield. I did this early enough that I think it will do just fine.
DSC9380.JPG

I had mentioned I harvested another Purple Danish last week. It dried a little quicker than I would have liked so I went ahead and trimmed it. Here is a top from one of the mains. It weighs in at 5.7 grams. The plant was only 24 inches tall but produced 1.2 ounces.
20150425_161650_1_.jpg

What I've learned over the last 4-6 weeks.

- Sticking your finger in the top of the soil doesn't tell you how dry it is in the bottom. Going by the weight of the pot, or sticking your finger in a drain hole at the bottom will tell you if it's time to water. I was over-watering quite a bit until I discovered this.
- Hydro seems to be much easier to maintain. Especially when using a ph buffered nutrient solution. PH is important to maintain nutrient absorption.
- Using the same hydro reservoir and pump for the veg and grow room isn't going to work. The plants will need different nutes at different times. Have to buy another set if I'm going to maintain a veg room and bud room.
- Don't switch nutes as soon as you put them in flower. Blooming nutes tend to cut way back on Nitrogen. A good blooming nute will still have some Nitrogen in it. I made the mistake of using one that had none, which almost killed 6 plants in flower.
- You can snip an autoflower plant to produce more tops, but either FIM it or just do a standard snip very early, as in clip the main stalk above the second set of starter leaves. (first set is the 2 leaves that emerge from the seed, second set are still straight single leaves. Cut above that second set.) Expect a 1 week setback for recovery. That's the only snip you'll be able to make. It won't have time to recover before budding if you try to do another, and it will result in a lower yield. (guessing and reading the experiences of others..I'll let you know how it turns out)

I can't describe how much fun I'm having with this. I have this 12 x 12 space loaded to my 18 plant capacity with everything from freshly germinated seeds to fully mature plants a week away from harvest. To much fun.. :)

+Speed autoflower that I snipped early on.
DSC9402.JPG

Purple Express auto that I snipped 4 days ago.
DSC9404.JPG

They seem to be doing fine, and the first one started showing white hairs 5 weeks after germination. The next month or so should be fun to watch what happens.

These are my very first autos, so I really don't know if you should. I suspect because of their limited life span you shouldn't disturb it at all once it's in flower. Any slow down during flower would reduce yield.

I just snipped it once early on to see if it would work. So far it seems to be ok. The weight at the end will tell the tale.

I did take one of my regular plants and cut it up so there are 4 mains coming off the main stalk. Then tied them out almost vertical. It spent 3 months in veg until I had room to put it in the bud room. (it takes up a lot of space) The center is now brimming with tops coming up and I'm hopeful that it's going to produce at least 8 oz. So far in soil I haven't been able to get more than 1.2oz from a plant.

This was also one of the plants I transplanted from soil to hydro. I pulled it out and dunked it in a big bucket full of water, then gently rubbed all the dirt off of the roots. There was a fair amount left in the root ball since it was so dense, but I got most of it. I held it in the air pot at about the right height and added the hydrocorn around it and that was it. It hasn't grown any roots out the bottom of the pot yet, but the plant itself seems to be thriving. I did this to 3 plants and they all did well. One is showing signs of a nutrient deficiency, probably nitrogen, which is weird, but overall it's doing ok.

I walked into the bud room Saturday and saw a plant that looked like it died. It was still green and lush, but all the branches were laying out to the sides. I grabbed some bamboo stakes and pulled the first one up and it was heavy as hell. I guess over the past week it had just built up so much weight in the buds that it finally couldn't hold them up anymore.

Nothing seems to have been damaged. It's been in flower for 8 weeks, set back a week recovering from being transplanted from soil to hydro, and once it recovered it seems to love being in hydro. There are 6 stalks all about the same size because I FIMd it at the beginning and left it alone after that. They are all heavily loaded and I had a hard time finding a bare spot of the branch to tie them to the bamboo. :)

Very much looking forward to seeing what this one produces.

Here are some better pictures, and 2 shots of the one that fell over.

Critical Devil (aka +Speed) Auto
DSC9405.JPG

Purple Express Auto (snipped early on to increase yield)
DSC9406.JPG

CBD God with branches tied up so they don't fall over again from the weight
DSC9407.JPG

CBD God density of the buds at 8 weeks in flower
DSC9408.JPG

Once again it's been a while since the last update. A lot can happen in a month. One plant that wasn't anywhere near done in the bud room just up and died overnight. No rhyme or reason to it. Leaves turned yellow/brown and wilted across the entire plant and it would no longer drink. There's maybe 3 grams on it so I'm not even going to bother with it. It's probably crap anyway.

I have 2 left in soil. One is nearly done, and the last one has a couple of weeks to go.

I've been VERY happy with growing in hydro. It really doesn't get any easier. Change out the water once a month, add the ph buffered nutes, sit back and watch them grow.

I mentioned before that I transplanted 2 plants from soil to hydro. They are so heavily loaded I had to stake them up. In soil I never experienced that. The only problem I've run into with hydro is running out of space for these massive plants. :)

Here's a before and after for comparison.

Just one month ago..
DSC9375.JPG

Today..
20150602_140947.jpg

Everything on the table except for 3 are autos planted around 4/20. I don't relish the thought of having to move everything to the floor. Especially for a hydro system. It's probably inevitable though.

Thanks!

LA, I also wanted to share with you some clear picture proof that Backbuilding really works well.

I thought this plant was going to be ready for harvest about a month ago. I gave it some nutes and was ready to give just plain water for the rest of it's journey. The nutes kicked something in cuz it started throwing out new white hairs and new growth within a day or two of that.

I did the backbuild snip quite some time back. Here is May 18.
20150518_163309.jpg

Looks a little thin around the middle. Nothing to dismiss, but not what I would call my best work. If I hadn't been patient I would have harvested it right then.

Here it is yesterday.
20150602_140758.jpg

Backbuilding and proper nutes at the right time fattened this puppy up nicely. As I checked it this morning, it's still putting out white hairs. It's been in flower since March 9. This better be some good stuff to have to wait that long for. :)

Back
Top Bottom