4twenty4all New Grow Room - Multiple Strains - 2010

4T4, Damn boyz you are playing with the big boyz now... Love the big area and looks like you have things going on... Co. Boyz stepping up to the plate.... Nice job.....The jungle is going to be crazy.... a good crazy.....

I am soooo jealous of that much space! Unless you have stock in the bottled CO2 market, the cost and effort of changin and draggin bottles will be prohibitive....mebe a residential type propane tank?

Thanks everyone! Be....you know I'll be working hard to represent CO proudly :)

I decided to make a few changes and hope it works better... I decided to go with the co2 and have arranged for 5 50lb tanks each month; I hope this is enough. I disconnected my carbon filter from my lighting because I was exhausting all of the co2. I have the beginning of the venting for the lights starting outside then it runs through the lights then vents back outside with no smell :) Now, the co2 stays in the room because I am not venting. I do need to get some air-cooled hoods for my 600w lights and add them into the venting to help eliminate heat.

I killed most of the clones that I took because I forgot to turn on the pump the first night and most did not root. Then I found a few mites on some cloned that came from another place. I hit them very hard in the veg room and am giving the moms a chance to recover before taking new clones. In the mean-time I have planted a few seeds to start new moms now that the bugs are gone again. MY ADVICE TO EVERYONE::: Don't bring new clones into your existing garden without isolating them and treating them FIRST. Ugh! Tough lesson learned, and I should have known better!!! Oh well... move on and don't repeat. ;-)

I plan to transplant more of the veg plants to set them to flower this week. I'll be harvesting some of the plants from the last crop this week and early next week. I'll be posting pictures later. Peace all, thanks for stopping by.

Geez, I can't wait til this room is full, ugh.

Here are some pictures:
These are some of the new seeds I planted on May 1st that have sprouted.
IMG_04144.JPG

IMG_04155.JPG

These will be transplanted tomorrow. They are mostly ak-47, banana kush, and some purple nepla, and white widow.
IMG_04164.JPG

IMG_04173.JPG

A Red Diesel about 2 weeks or less from harvest:
IMG_04186.JPG

These are 18 plants ak-47 & banana kush that were set to flower on 4-21:
IMG_04213.JPG

IMG_04224.JPG

This is a white russian about 10 or less days from harvest:
IMG_04233.JPG

Peace

Wouldn't a propane CO2 burner be more cost effective for an area that size? I have no experience with CO2. I'm just wondering.

I'm not sure if a propane burner would be more cost effective or not, I have never used a propane burner. I already had the equipment for co2 so I figured I would give it a try. If it doesn't work then I may try a propane burner. If anyone knows approximately how long a 5lb propane tank would last I would appreciate the info.

Peace

I'm not sure if a propane burner would be more cost effective or not, I have never used a propane burner. I already had the equipment for co2 so I figured I would give it a try. If it doesn't work then I may try a propane burner. If anyone knows approximately how long a 5lb propane tank would last I would appreciate the info.

Peace

I have a chart for CO2 usage based on cubic feet at home. If you don't have an answer by the time I get there, I will post it for you...

this might be helpful...https://www.hydroponics.net/documents-hf/16563_COSYSinstruc2.08.pdf

Hey Hog, thanks for the info but I am looking to find out how long a co2 burner will last using a 5lb propane tank. I would like to find out if it will be cheaper and more efficient than using co2 tanks.

I am pretty sure that the 50lb co2 tanks that I am currently using will last approx 5 - 6 days with a setting at around 1500ppm.

Peace

Hey Hog, thanks for the info but I am looking to find out how long a co2 burner will last using a 5lb propane tank. I would like to find out if it will be cheaper and more efficient than using co2 tanks.

I am pretty sure that the 50lb co2 tanks that I am currently using will last approx 5 - 6 days with a setting at around 1500ppm.

Peace

sorry...using my head for a hat rest again...:bongrip:

Fantastic Room and plants!

Thanks in advance for sharing such a grow with us. The details involved in a larger operation like that are so important and great to learn from.

Re the CO2:

I recently switched rooms and went from bottled CO2 tanks to a GEN-2e LP propane generator.

First I can tell you its MUCH cheaper with propane as far the cost of CO2. But the BTU ratings of the CO2 generators are correct in terms of heat. So, for example - mine puts out 22,000 BTUs of heat an hour. That's only when its on. My space is 25x25x8 and the gene needs to be on about 30 min/hr to keep it between 1350-1650 ppm. So that means 11,000BTUs of heat per hour.

My room is not 100% sealed - but its pretty close.

So I would definitely recommend the propane co2 gene. But in the context of an earlier post where you were talking about adding liquid cooling to your grow - I would look at the IceBox and their liquid cooled CO2 gene. If you know you're gonna go liquid cooling - which I think is a great move and I would do it if I were starting over or had the budget to upgrade now - get an extra large chiller and use the hell out of it!

:nicethread::bravo::peace::rollit:

sorry...using my head for a hat rest again...:bongrip:

That's okay, I do it a lot too :)

Papa Green- Excellent info on the Ice Box Heat Exchanger. It sounds like I'll need the following items and these are ballpark prices:
Outside:
1 - large 1 hp chiller $1,500.00
1 - 100gal propane tank (or slightly smaller) $200.00

Inside:
14 - 8" Ice box chillers @ $200.00 ea = $2,800.00
1 - water-cooled co2 generator $360.00
Misc parts and monitor for co2 generator $350.00
plumbing parts (pvc, valves, etc...) $400.00

All in all it looks to be about the same price as adding a water-cooled AC unit that will be entirely self-contained. I'm sure the power consumption is much less with the Ice Box. Looks like a lot more work to set up the Ice Box, but may be worth it in the long run. Again, I just ballparked the prices so I may be a little off...

Right now, I have a great deal on the co2 tanks. I get 5 - 50lb tanks delivered for $125.00 total; Which isn't bad for a monthly cost unless I end up using twice as much. I sure have a lot of thinking to do before I jump into it.

That's okay, I do it a lot too :)

Papa Green- Excellent info on the Ice Box Heat Exchanger. It sounds like I'll need the following items and these are ballpark prices:
Outside:
1 - large 1 hp chiller $1,500.00
1 - 100gal propane tank (or slightly smaller) $200.00

Inside:
14 - 8" Ice box chillers @ $200.00 ea = $2,800.00
1 - water-cooled co2 generator $360.00
Misc parts and monitor for co2 generator $350.00
plumbing parts (pvc, valves, etc...) $400.00

All in all it looks to be about the same price as adding a water-cooled AC unit that will be entirely self-contained. I'm sure the power consumption is much less with the Ice Box. Looks like a lot more work to set up the Ice Box, but may be worth it in the long run. Again, I just ballparked the prices so I may be a little off...

Right now, I have a great deal on the co2 tanks. I get 5 - 50lb tanks delivered for $125.00 total; Which isn't bad for a monthly cost unless I end up using twice as much. I sure have a lot of thinking to do before I jump into it.

You're definitely on the right track! Good news and bad news - I think you'd need a much larger chiller - bad news - ; but the propane tanks are only about $135-150 - good news ; but I would suggest getting two they will always run out when its inconvenient - bad news.

I think the burners are about 4-5x as efficient as the bottles, as far as only cost of CO2. I go through a 20lb propane tank every 7-9 days at a cost of $15. They can be refilled at any gas station or quik mart that has propane tanks. I usually go to a fish market a block from my house that sells it cheaper than anyone else. But if necessary its only $25 at the 24hr gas station. The same thing with bottles would be $200-$300/mo for me at $32/20lb tank.

Also, the gene puts out significantly more CO2 at once. When I tried to run above 10-15 cfm on my old tank it would freeze up. No probs there with the gene - just make sure the output matches your space.

The other thing I was thinking about was your raised/dropped ceilings. Circulation is KEY to cutting CO2 costs. Any stagnant air pockets will just fill with CO2. Big waste. And the CO2 rises on hot air currents, but its heavier than air so it will drop to the floor if you have dead air up top. Not sure if any of that is helpful, but might be something to think about.

:bravo::thumb::peace::rollit:

Nice work! I would think that if you went with a water chilled AC system that you would be able to utilize a little bit of that chilled water to cool a water cooled generator. This would be a more effecient. Best of both worlds!

In my little space, I find that there's a sweet spot were all of the equipment works in harmony. I sometimes find that adding a little heat to the room allows my AC to do almost all of the dehumidification so I'll run my chiller water at 75 instead of 65. If the dehumdifier runs alot it ads heat as well so they can battle each other!

I too understand 1200-1500 to be the recommended range for Co2 enrichment. Are you running your room hotter with the Co2?

Papa- With the Ice Boxes I just received some bad reviews from my friendly hydro store; they sais they had 3 returned today. I heard that they are good for a one or two light system but not efficient enough for more unless you spend a lot extra for the modification of BIG chillers etc...

I think I will hold off as long as I can and then go for the water-cooled AC to keep everything indoors. Plus!!! I have noticed a drop of 5 degrees just by removing my carbon filter from my lights and giving it fresh air from which to draw :yahoo: gotta love that. Plus, I expect it to drop even more when I get the 4 - 600w hps' in the cooling system. I may get away with a smaller water-cooled AC. I'd like to put one of the portable air-cooled ACs in each of the other rooms, veg and drying.

Even if I have to double my co2 usage, which I doubt.. I'll know soon since I am timing this new bottle, it'll only be 250/mo (currently it is only 125ish). You should look at getting your co2 from a beverage supply or beer supply place. They are very cheep since they supply to bars and restaurants. Mine froze up when I exceeded 15cfm. But now I have a great solution.... I set it to 13cfm and taped the hose to the top of my 1704cfm maxfan causing it to go to the ceiling and spread throughout the room and drop to the floor. I have lots of circulation fans on the drop ceiling blowing downward and floor fans and chest high fans, so there is a nice breeze in there. My meter keeps it pretty constant around 1300 on average. I may bump it up depending on how long this test tank lasts. Thanks for all the great suggestions though! I really could have used them last week when I was setting it up ;-) LOL Keep up the great work on your side, I'll be checking in.

Hey Budly, thanks for stopping in. As you can see from above we agree for now ;-) My tanks don't put any heat in the room since they are co2 tanks. Nice idea about using the AC to help chill the water too.

Sorry about posting back to back but I wanted a separate post to introduce my two new grows that I will document simultaneously. I hope you join in for learning and helping me learn. Here we go:

Veg:
I will document the newly planted seeds, exact watering, ph, nutes, etc.... These are mostly female seeds but not all, so I will also go through the process of sexing them out and choosing a mom and when to clone etc...

Flower:
I will document the same for 18 girls that are 22 days into flower as of 5-13. Some have been fimm'd some super-cropped and some nothing. This will be fun!

Here are the pics to get started. I didn't need to do anything to these today so just pics.

These seeds popped 13 days ago and the smallest is 3 1/2 in (100% indica) then the others are average of 4 1/2in with a thai x haze being 6 inches tall. All but the indica are on heir 4th set of leaves and are looking pretty healthy. The indica is o 3rd set.

05421.JPG

05519.JPG

Here is a group shot of the ak-47 and banana kush that are actually now on day 22 of flower, I was a day off. They were set to flower at 16 - 19 inches and are now between 32 - 37 inches. They seem to have a lot of nice flower sites going already.
05716.JPG

Here is a close-up of the tallest one
05814.JPG

06213.JPG

An inside shot of another
06315.JPG

I'll update and start documenting everything that I do and the next stuff will probably be starting on Sunday.

Wow looking very nice... I'm jealous I wanna see that cola fill out and just be amazing! I am very interested in seeing the difference in the fimming, supercorpping and so on! Keep up the good work. +rep

Back
Top Bottom