Build My Own Quantum Light Cheap

Good job on the build :)

Depends on the max current (Ampere) the strips can take, I'm pretty sure they're +2A so the driver won't overpower them.

Watt = Volt * Ampere, and the voltage of a unit depends on the current -> higher current = higher voltage.
Ie. at minimum current your strips might pull 22V and on max they might pull 28V

BTW that driver will pull around 280w with both potentiometers maxed out.
I got a Kill A Watt meter which says draw from the wall is 609 watts. Plants (3 out of 4) are doing great. Light is at top of tent and I see no stretch. We are day 17

Haha that lights awesome mate. 400sheets for 609w of quality light is a bargain. Looks spot on for day 17 too. Think I'll sub up and see how it performs.
Im about to bastardise some old mars 600s. Got loads of them lying about, 240w draw so im gonna replace the blurples with cobs. Just need to find someone who knows how to work out how many cobs I'd need per panel.
You seem to know this stuff actually, would you be able to work it out if I showed you the cobs?

Haha that lights awesome mate. 400sheets for 609w of quality light is a bargain. Looks spot on for day 17 too. Think I'll sub up and see how it performs.
Im about to bastardise some old mars 600s. Got loads of them lying about, 240w draw so im gonna replace the blurples with cobs. Just need to find someone who knows how to work out how many cobs I'd need per panel.
You seem to know this stuff actually, would you be able to work it out if I showed you the cobs?
Almost forgot about this thread. Yours is the 1st notification I got since 17 March. lol. Thanks for the good words. If you go to my sig, There is a link to how those girls are doing. Tallest is 4 feet. The other link in the sig brings you here. Regards Ed in CANADA where it is legal all across this land.

Sorry, Forgot to mention I know nothing about cobs. How I even came upon the cookie sheets idea was in looking for LM301B diodes and in particular, 1152 of them in an arrangement. IE, Strips, plate, square or circle. Read cookie sheets on That big auction site with username thenatmann So I did risk analysis and spent the coin. I started the girls with blurple and was nervous as $%^&&())^$# if you know what I mean. Those first two days were worry time. But everything worked out. As I said to my wife. WE GOT THIS but added a couple f words in there.

Well my lights brought in a harvest. First time I ever grew anything. And it worked. Very impressed with my grow. I would have to say it was all luck from the seed to building the lights. It does not show well but there are 4 fishing lines. Each line holds the harvest from each plant. Keep it labelled and separate.
20190616_173527[1].jpg

Congratulations! That looks like a pretty nice first harvest. First of many to come, one hopes.

The
quantum board.jpg
Costco cookie sheets
How’s it going buddy, I’m working on a light build and remembered this post of when you built this light and was wondering how did the cookie sheets workout as far as heat sinks ?
I have 3 hlg v2 280 boards I am thinking of mounting on sheets like these versus ordering they’re v2 slate Heatsinks or cutting the one I got from the kit 260 kit in half to get better light distribution my new grow area is 2.5 x 6 so I ordered a hlg 135 v2 kit to cover for the area that my first light lacks... any ideas???

How’s it going buddy, I’m working on a light build and remembered this post of when you built this light and was wondering how did the cookie sheets workout as far as heat sinks ?
I have 3 hlg v2 280 boards I am thinking of mounting on sheets like these versus ordering they’re v2 slate Heatsinks or cutting the one I got from the kit 260 kit in half to get better light distribution my new grow area is 2.5 x 6 so I ordered a hlg 135 v2 kit to cover for the area that my first light lacks... any ideas???
It actually worked well. It did get warm but I could put body parts on it that are very heat sensitive on it all day long. You might be able to buy a heat sink off Ebay or find an old electronics store and take an amplifier apart

At OP haha you must have read some of the same pages I did when building a light, love the cookie sheets deal.
Here is my build DIY Lighting for 2x2 tent

Sorry I didn't see this thread till after the light was built. Got some current pics of it in action?

At OP haha you must have read some of the same pages I did when building a light, love the cookie sheets deal.
Here is my build DIY Lighting for 2x2 tent

Sorry I didn't see this thread till after the light was built. Got some current pics of it in action?

Attachments

• 20190414_101811[1].jpg
    20190414_101811[1].jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 176
Nice build man. How many watts you pulling at max? Parallel build yes?

Maybe I should go look for some square cookie sheets as I dont have heatsinks, just use a fan to cool mine while in use.

On my build I found that I should have staggered 2700 and 3500 to get a sweet mix. But just ended up with 3500 for all 4 leds. I can still add a 5th if I really wanna. But 240 max watts in a 2x2 is kinda much.

Kill a watt meter says 610 watts. I did stagger them 2700K and 3500K . Bought the cookie sheets at Costco in Canada.

Im in southeastern Ontario, you?
Dammm dude 610w for 4x4, thats some great led power. Your plants look great too.

Back
Top Bottom