Building new room - 2x1000 or 4x600?

biggerbud

Hey guys,

Building a new room -- about 11 ft by 7.5ft. I had planned to put 2 1000 watt HPS in (I run 3 already) but now I'm thinking of doing four 600's.

Would my additional yield be worth the extra costs? 2 more reflectors, ballasts, lamps, extra ducts and about 400 watts of juice...

doing aeroponics -- 8 plants for the 1K lights and probably 12 plants if I try the 600's.

thoughts?

Re: Building new room -- 2x1000 or 4x600?

600s are more efficient ...

And more smaller lights are always better for growth than fewer large ones - the light is spread out more and has better average intensity over the area.

But yeah, definitely more expensive. :cheesygrinsmiley: You get 20-25% more lumens, but you spend 70-80% more. Then again, that 70-80% only amounts to a few hundred bucks, the cost of a couple ounces - if you get 20% more yield, you're more than covered on the first run. You'd only need what ... 2-3 more ounces, about the yield of one smallish plant.

I vote for the 600s.

Re: Building new room -- 2x1000 or 4x600?

You will cover the area evenly with 4 600w lights , allowing you to lower the lights (cooler running) and still have great side lighting. I would expect your yield will increase more than expected .. if you go with 4 600w , hung closer to the plants to maximize the output. As every 6 inches you lose half the watt power in par light.
Meaning if you use them 6 inches closer they will hit the plants with the same power as the 1000w lights did.

Back
Top Bottom