Can anyone see sex?

Helpplease

Confused... This is the fifth node. One side almost looks female and one male ish. Day 28 veg. Could be neither hahaaa. More pics taken of suspect side.

image33794.jpg
image33792.jpg
image33791.jpg
image33789.jpg
image33788.jpg

No sex yet! The green spears you see are vegetative growth and appear on both male and female plants.

When they start showing sex you will see one of two things, and once you see them, you will never forget, because they look very different.

Female preflowers start out with a pair of very fine white hairs, growing out of a teardrop-shaped green calyx. These show up first at growing tips of the branches.

Male preflowers have no hairs but they are smooth, teardrop shaped pods that grow on tiny stalks. These show up lower on the plant, in the nodes, between the stem and a leaf or branch. They often appear in groups of 4 or more, like grapes.

Preflowers generally show up on their own on mature plants even before you put them under 12/12. So let your plants mature a couple months and they will let you know when they're ready.

Give your plants about 6-7 weeks growth, then look for the preflowers to determine sex. The females are very easy to identify once you see them for the 1st time, as AK said, they will be teardrop/tulip shaped with 2 little white hairs coming out the top. Males at this early a stage can be harder to identify, they will have a "CLAW" shaped preflower. The problem arises with some hybred females showing what appears to be a "claw" where the preflower should be and actually turns out to be a mutant growing an extra leaf where the preflower should be. I almost pitched a plant which I thought might be a male and actually turned into a beautiful female that I am currently harvesting. She had the extra set of leaves where the preflowers should have been at 7 wks.

Give your plants about 6-7 weeks growth, then look for the preflowers to determine sex. The females are very easy to identify once you see them for the 1st time, as AK said, they will be teardrop/tulip shaped with 2 little white hairs coming out the top. Males at this early a stage can be harder to identify, they will have a "CLAW" shaped preflower. The problem arises with some hybred females showing what appears to be a "claw" where the preflower should be and actually turns out to be a mutant growing an extra leaf where the preflower should be. I almost pitched a plant which I thought might be a male and actually turned into a beautiful female that I am currently harvesting. She had the extra set of leaves where the preflowers should have been at 7 wks.

Yes, mutant growth is something that I had forgotten about. Be patient when you see something that doesn't fit the normal signs, until it grows out a bit.

BTW, not all male preflowers will be claw-shaped. I grow OG Kush (Sativa ancestry), and the male pods looked like 4-paneled teardrops, dangling from short stalks. (something like miniature lanterns) So I'm guessing that their overall shape depends on strain.

Still, Once you have experienced plant signs of sex, you won't forget. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom