Cannabis Decarboxylation

You can play with the times/ temperature and let us know how it went... :)
Thank you for that detailed explanation. I've been getting good results at 235f for 35 minutes in a small counter top convection oven. I dont recommend doing this in a duplex or an apartment, to smelly.

Thank you for that detailed explanation. I've been getting good results at 235f for 35 minutes in a small counter top convection oven. I dont recommend doing this in a duplex or an apartment, to smelly.
235 for the THC what about the CBD in it

235 for the THC what about the CBD
Idk, I dont worry about it, CBD supplements are available at my local convenience stores and gas stations even smokable flowers. I'm not sure how you go about picking a temp/time for just CBD requirements alone or if the umbrella/entourage effects combines with the THC at a "prime"?? set of temp/time. I would go off the numbers @Pahval has given above for the CBD temps and time. Keep in mind that using oil or butter will take much longer to not only "dissolve" but decarb as well because of those lower temps (please correct or add to my explanation my ego is soft and flexible)

CBDA should decarb to CBD at the same temperature as THCA goes to THC. The difference is the amount of time. I have found that THCA converts to THC at 105c for about 25 minutes. It takes 40 minutes to also convert the CBDA to CBD. This relates to flower.

If you have nothing specific planned for the oil, FECO is always an option. Decarb is much easier. The bubbles guide you.

Okay so I watched the aroma rice cooker video and I have the model with all the other buttons grey one so how will I decarb my trim and bud with that rice cooker? And is it similar to the instant pot version where you put the cannabis in a mason jar and put on high pressure for 40-45mins, can someone pls explain this to me I know it's a stupid question but I'm very new to this method I've done instant pot but the instant pot is my mother in law's and omg she just has the biggest fit over her stuff being used 🙄 so my husband's friend gave him the aroma rice cooker the grey one with all those buttons and I can't find one person explain how to decarb in that rice cooker??? So I would really appreciate it if someone could explain the process for me. Should I put the cannabis in a mason jar and fill the pot with water and press the "white rice" button? Or the "
Steam" button help!!???? Thanks a lot ❤️

Okay so I watched the aroma rice cooker video and I have the model with all the other buttons grey one so how will I decarb my trim and bud with that rice cooker? And is it similar to the instant pot version where you put the cannabis in a mason jar and put on high pressure for 40-45mins, can someone pls explain this to me I know it's a stupid question but I'm very new to this method I've done instant pot but the instant pot is my mother in law's and omg she just has the biggest fit over her stuff being used 🙄 so my husband's friend gave him the aroma rice cooker the grey one with all those buttons and I can't find one person explain how to decarb in that rice cooker??? So I would really appreciate it if someone could explain the process for me. Should I put the cannabis in a mason jar and fill the pot with water and press the "white rice" button? Or the "
Steam" button help!!???? Thanks a lot ❤️
I grind up buds and fill a small baby food jar athen put in 250F oven for an hour and ten minutes and works for me. An hour would also work. This is as simple as any other method out there.

Welcome to 420 Magazine!

I've been just putting my trim and fluf Into a pan boiling water with a stick of butter and letting it boil about 45 minutes then filter it thru some cheese cloth let it cool an cook with it. My last batch of cookies were lethal... like eat a cookie an zonk out for hours. I've made canabutter this way and always got high of my cookies and brownies. Does the boiling process decarb the same as oven baking ??

Decarboxylation times and temp info.
HERE IS A DETAILED PAPER USING HIGH TEMPERATURE WATER FOR DECARBOXYLATION.....SORRY FOR THE DETAIL BUT MY BACKGROUND AS A SCIENTIST IN BIOPHARMACEUTICALS IS HARD TO NOT GET TECHNICAL.....

I've been just putting my trim and fluf Into a pan boiling water with a stick of butter and letting it boil about 45 minutes then filter it thru some cheese cloth let it cool an cook with it. My last batch of cookies were lethal... like eat a cookie an zonk out for hours. I've made canabutter this way and always got high of my cookies and brownies. Does the boiling process decarb the same as oven baking ??
The medium is irrelevant to decarboxylation, only temperature. That medium, butter, is great for extracting THC or CBD.

Pure butter boils at 100° C, the same as water. If you're still boiling off the water at 45 mins, then that sounds good. If it's gotten to ghee already (i.e. all the water has boiled off, then you really don't want it to boil - that's about 250° C, or if so, only for a few minutes. At 110° C 20 mins are sufficient to convert THCA to THC. See earlier graphs to understand the temperatures needed.

Pure ghee offers a boiling point of 482 degrees Fahrenheit (250 degrees Celsius). The boiling point of ghee is higher than other cooking oils and fats like butter. There are certain benefits of higher boiling and smoking point of ghee

HERE IS A DETAILED PAPER USING HIGH TEMPERATURE WATER FOR DECARBOXYLATION.....SORRY FOR THE DETAIL BUT MY BACKGROUND AS A SCIENTIST IN BIOPHARMACEUTICALS IS HARD TO NOT GET TECHNICAL.....

Didn't understand a bit of it... but I like it

The brain is working a bit better today, I ment I simmer/slow boil. Not a full rolling boil and I don't boil off all the water I wind up with a mixture of melted butter combined with water, I put that mixture in the fridge and the butter and water separate the butter floats to the top. I came across this method in a book from the late 60's. Not sure effective it is but It works for me, it could just be a placebo effect my Dr tells me that's all the CBD gummies I take to ease my anxiety from the anti seizure meds he prescribed

Okay one last question, I have exactly 6.39grams of Decarbed trim and flower I'm wondering how much Ghee butter should I add ? I'm looking at this 1Ounce of Flower to 2 Cups of Butter or Oil or 1 Ounce of Flower to 1 Cup of Butter or Oil Ratio Chart. For the 1:2 ratio it says for 7 grams do 1 stick of butter and for more potent 1:1 ratio it says to put 1/2 stick of butter.... So that leaves me at either 1/3 cup cus 1 stick = 1/2 Cups and for the 1:1 ratio 1/2 stick = 1/4 cup so I should how much do? Do you guys think I have at least somewhat of an understanding??? Help lol thanks :) I'm using a rice cooker gonna infuse my butter at 170F for 4-6 hours just need to know how much I should put lol thank so much guys 😊

Okay one last question, I have exactly 6.39grams of Decarbed trim and flower I'm wondering how much Ghee butter should I add ? I'm looking at this 1Ounce of Flower to 2 Cups of Butter or Oil or 1 Ounce of Flower to 1 Cup of Butter or Oil Ratio Chart. For the 1:2 ratio it says for 7 grams do 1 stick of butter and for more potent 1:1 ratio it says to put 1/2 stick of butter.... So that leaves me at either 1/3 cup cus 1 stick = 1/2 Cups and for the 1:1 ratio 1/2 stick = 1/4 cup so I should how much do? Do you guys think I have at least somewhat of an understanding??? Help lol thanks :) I'm using a rice cooker gonna infuse my butter at 170F for 4-6 hours just need to know how much I should put lol thank so much guys 😊
Here's my 2 cents. I have always tried to make any butter/oil as strong as possible so the amount I use is whatever is just enough to cover the buds. It seems kind of pointless to bother about ratios unless you know exactly what strength your buds have, so for me, I'd rather just make it so I get the maximum amount of bud to the butter/oil quantity, and then (last time I made Russian fudge) I will test a small amount to determine what sized piece is best, otherwise if your bud is not so strong and you follow a recipe with a large amount of butter/ghee/oil then everything turns out weak unless you consume heaps.

TO BE CONSISTENT YOU SHOULD EITHER USE THE S.I SYSTEM (METRICS) OR THE ENGLISH SYSTEM. MY RECOMMENDATION IS US THE METRIC SYSTEM....

Whatchu makin'?

I try to work backwards by figuring out what dose I want for a specific unit (per cookie, or set size brownie, Gummie, etc.

I use most of my stuff in an olive oil extract on salads and such, so I know how much mg's I want per tablespoon.

If I'm using a 15% strain, then each gram (1,000 milligrams) of flower would be roughly 150 milligrams of thc. If I want a 10mg dose per tablespoon it's easy to do the calculation. 150 mg / 10mg per dose equals 15 tablespoons or 7.5 oz of oil. Scale that up to either how much flower you are working with or conversely how much butter you need for a specific recipe.

FOR DETAILED ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON CANNABIS DECARBOXYLATION.....HERE IS A U.S PATENT ON THIS PROCESS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED IN DOING FUTHER RESEARCH AND REFINING YOUR METHOD(S)....I HOPE THESE ARE USFUL.

TO BE CONSISTENT YOU SHOULD EITHER USE THE S.I SYSTEM (METRICS) OR THE ENGLISH SYSTEM. MY RECOMMENDATION IS US THE METRIC SYSTEM....
TRY THIS.....

This guide to making cannabutter is adapted fromThe Art of Weed Butter’ by Mennlay Golokeh Aggrey, with further reporting by Zoe Denenberg. It’s part of our Guide to Cooking With, Eating, and Truly Enjoying Weed.

Cannabutter can transform brownie batter, cookie dough, or just about any recipe into a batch of homemade edibles—and you don’t have to be a master chef or cannabis connoisseur to make it. All you need to make weed into butter is patience, organization, a reliable recipe, and some understanding of dosing. Following the same method, you can also make infused chili crisp to drizzle on noodles or elevated coconut oil to coat kettle corn.

The following weed butter recipe loosely translates into 30 mg of THC per tablespoon of oil or butter. Your perfect dose will vary, but 10 mg is standard. Start by testing ¼ tsp. of the weed butter you make and wait for about an hour. (If this is your first time experimenting with edibles, note that the effects take longer to set in than when inhaling.) Take note of how you feel and let your body tell you whether this is a good amount, or if you need more or less. Erring on the side of caution will ensure that you have a positive experience.

Step 1: Decarboxylation:​

When making weed butter, the first step is to decarboxylate your cannabis. Also known as “decarbing,” baking the cannabis flower transforms the inactive cannabinoids (THCA and CBDA) into their active counterparts (THC and CBD). This unlocks their psychoactive effects and also allows the lipids in butter and oil to easily bind to your weed for the best cannabis infusion.

Whether you prefer indica or sativa, it’s best to use whole cannabis flowers, broken up into large nuggets, not ground cannabis—unless you want a flurry of weed snowflakes flying around inside your oven (spoiler alert: you don’t). You’ll break up the decarbed flower with a hand grinder (check out this Oreo-shaped one!) after baking.

What you’ll need:
  • ½ oz cannabis flower
  • Parchment paper
  • Glass baking dish or sheet pan
  • Hand grinder or scissors
What to do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 220°F.
  2. Gently break the buds into large pieces and evenly spread the plant material onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Slide it onto the center rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes if using old or lower-quality weed; 45 minutes for cured, high-grade weed; or 1 hour or more for anything that has been recently harvested and is still wet.
  3. Check on the weed frequently while it’s in the oven, gently mixing it every 10 minutes so as to not burn it. You will notice that the color of your herb will change from bright green to a deep brownish-green. That’s when you know it has decarboxylated.
  4. Remove the weed from the oven and allow it to cool on the baking sheet. Once it has cooled, break up the decarbed weed using a hand grinder, scissors, or with hands until it’s the perfect consistency for rolling a joint—fine, but not too fine. Anything too fine will slip through cheesecloth (or a joint, for that matter), murking up your butter. You want your cannabutter to be as clean and clear as possible.

Step 2: Cannabutter stovetop infusion:​

The next step of the process is more time intensive: A cooking time of roughly 4 hours allows the cannabis to fully infuse into the fat of your choice. While infusing weed in butter or ghee is a popular technique, you can infuse decarbed cannabis into any fat—such as olive oil, sesame oil, or coconut oil—and the infusion process is the same no matter which type of fat you choose. If you do want to make weed butter, we recommend using unsalted butter so you’re able to control the salt level of the final product.

The longer the melted butter and cannabis simmer together, the more potent your cannabutter will be. We opt for a four-hour infusion here, which delivers just enough potency and a grassy but not overpowering flavor.

Adding water to the pot prevents the cannabutter from scalding, eliminating the need for a double boiler. As long as you keep the saucepan on very low heat (and watch the pot), it’s not likely to burn—though it may perfume your kitchen with a certain, ahem, aroma. (That’s thanks to the terpenes, a.k.a. the aromatic compounds responsible for cannabis’s signature smell.) If you’re still concerned about scalding or want a more discreet, hands-off approach, you can also cook weed butter in a slow cooker set to the lowest setting.

Ready to make weed butter? Use this simple stovetop method.

What you’ll need:
  • 1½ cups water
  • 8 oz. clarified butter, unsalted butter, or oil
  • ½ oz. decarboxylated cannabis
  • Medium saucepan
  • Wooden spoon
  • Thermometer
  • Cheesecloth and/or mesh strainer
What to do:
  1. In a medium saucepan on very low heat, add water and butter or oil.
  2. If using butter, wait for it to melt, then add the ground decarboxylated cannabis. Mix well with a wooden spoon and cover with lid.
  3. Simmer gently for 4 hours, stirring every half hour to make sure the butter isn’t burning. If you have a kitchen thermometer, check to make sure the temperature doesn’t reach above 180°F.
  4. After 4 hours, strain with cheesecloth or mesh strainer into a container. Let the butter cool to room temperature. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container (a well-sealed mason jar will work) in the refrigerator or freezer for up to six months.

How to use cannabutter:​

Use your homemade cannabutter in any number of sweet or savory recipes. For a classic approach, substitute 1 tsp. cannabis butter per serving in cheesecake brownies, breakfast blondies, our best chocolate chip cookies, or any other recipe for baked goods you like. Here’s the math: If a recipe yields 12 brownies, substitute 12 tsp. (the equivalent of 4 Tbsp. or ¼ cup) cannabutter for a 10-mg-dose serving. Put another way, our recipe for confetti cake has 1½ sticks (12 Tbsp.) butter and serves 12 people. Want to make a canna-fetti cake for your best friend’s birthday? Use 4 Tbsp. cannabutter plus 8 Tbsp. regular butter for the optimal dosage.

The possibilities don’t end at baking. Explore cannabis-infused oil’s savory applications by combining 1 Tbsp. canna-infused olive oil with 3 Tbsp. non-weed extra-virgin olive oil. Use it to dress a juicy Charred Raw Corn salad—it comes out to 30 mg for the entire dish, and 7.5 mg per serving. Or spike the garlic chile oil drizzled atop this chicken and rice soup, swapping in 2 Tbsp. canna-infused sesame oil for 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. The finished product might not resemble grandma’s chicken noodle soup, but it sure will make you feel good.

Want to skip the lengthy stovetop infusion? Decarb your weed, then make associate food editor Rachel Gurjar’s recipe for bhang, a traditional cannabis drink enjoyed on Holi. No matter which route you choose, cannabis edibles provide a discreet, smoke-free way to enjoy the flower’s effects. Just remember to dose responsibly.

Find more recipes for cooking with cannabutter inThe Art of Weed Butter,’ explore some of our favorite cannabis products, and read more about how to make cannabis delicious.

Back
Top Bottom